Author Topic: K7 transmission gear/shaft play  (Read 654 times)

Offline flybackwards

• Enthusiast
K7 transmission gear/shaft play
« on: January 31, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »

going through my gear clusters which all look good for 70,000 miles. One thing I notice is that when I grab hold of a gear (most obvious in the taller ones) and wiggle it along the axis of the shaft - I guess that technical term means trying to rotate it side to side --------II-------- where II is the gear and --------- is the shaft.  I get about a mm or so of play. If this makes any sense how much play is normal - how much is too much? I don't have new shaft and gear to compare with and I don't see any obvious wear on gear or shaft.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Re: K7 transmission gear/shaft play
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 06:26:13 pm »
Need to be in casings with bearings located by half rings to measure end float
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:50:25 pm »
Do you mean tilt it side to side ?  Do you have a dial Indictator , or other measuring tools ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline flybackwards

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 06:19:41 am »
Yes, thats what I mean - and a better way of saying it.  it was a casual observation just grabbed a couple of gears and gave them a twist sideways and then thought about how that might say something about wear between gear bore and shaft. Yes I have many measuring tools - I'll drop the mainshaft back in lower case and start with a ruler...