Author Topic: 750F conrod bolts difference  (Read 2594 times)

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
750F conrod bolts difference
« on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:09 pm »
Bought 750F3 conrod bolts from Honda dealership today. 3 pcs #13213-KVO-000 and 5 pcs #13213-410-003. Those 5 are different type - with spiral groove and they have old PN crossed and #13213-KVO-000 just wrote on them with a pen. Pictures should show the difference. Which type is F3 and which should i change? Any input very welcome! Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:52:18 pm by maksuttt »
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
Re: 750F conrod bolts difference
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:56 pm »
Sorry for plastic bags - i don't want to damage package in case of parts exchange
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:50:58 pm by maksuttt »
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:27:47 pm »
 I forget, but don't the last three numbers refer to the vendor that manufactured them? Could be they are all the correct bolt but look different 'cause they were made by different companies. I ran into this when installing new main and rod bearings. One supplier did not have all the bearings I needed so I got a couple different types of bearings(some with small holes, some without) but they were all the correct part.

The F3 conrod bolt is longer than other SOHC conrod bolts. If yours are all the same length you might be good to go.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 04:01:35 am »
Thanks, scondon! I checked length - I have minnor difference, around 10-15 thou. Now i have a hope at least ;D
Update: both type of those bolts are longer then my stock ones. So, leave them as is?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:03:35 am by maksuttt »
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:51:18 am »
Update: both type of those bolts are longer then my stock ones. So, leave them as is?

That would be my thought. Remember, the torque for these bolts is 18.8 ft/lbs(earlier style was 14.5 ft/lbs).

If memory serves, the bolts I pulled from my F3 motor had the spiral groove but I could not see any purpose for it. I thought that maybe it was to help keep the bolt from spinning but since the flat head of the bolt is up against the flat edge of the conrod it wouldn't spin anyway.

Mrieck has seen his share of these bolts. If I'm giving bad advice hopefully he can point it out. Mike? ??? :)
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 09:24:32 am »
K bolt on the left. F2/3 on the right. Nuts are different also. Sean mentioned the difference in torque.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 10:12:27 am »
Thanks, guys!
I have 5 pcs with spiral like  the right one on Mike's picture. Anover ones have lines parallel to the axel. And i was going to reuse old nuts.
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 11:11:39 am »
I forget, but don't the last three numbers refer to the vendor that manufactured them? Could be they are all the correct bolt but look different 'cause they were made by different companies. I ran into this when installing new main and rod bearings. One supplier did not have all the bearings I needed so I got a couple different types of bearings(some with small holes, some without) but they were all the correct part.

The F3 conrod bolt is longer than other SOHC conrod bolts. If yours are all the same length you might be good to go.

Hey Sean,
Please explain your bearing situation. Different suppliers? All Honda I'm assuming.
Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 11:49:09 am »

Hey Sean,
Please explain your bearing situation. Different suppliers? All Honda I'm assuming.
Jerry

I ordered the bearings from one source(servicehonda). Servicehonda had to go to two of their suppliers to complete my order(10 main, 8 conrod). When I received the order most of the bearings were packaged in a continuous strip of single,perforated packs and the rest were loose single packs. If memory serves, the final three numbers of the part code were different on the loose packs.

The difference between the two types was that one manufacturer had put a small hole in the center of the bearing. Whether this was for extra oil retention or just part of the casting process I do not know, but the hole looks too small to have any real purpose. I have taken apart two F3 bottom ends so far and one had bearings with this small hole and the other engine did not.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 04:28:14 pm »

Hey Sean,
Jerry

I ordered the bearings from one source(servicehonda). Servicehonda had to go to two of their suppliers to complete my order(10 main, 8 conrod). When I received the order most of the bearings were packaged in a continuous strip of single,perforated packs and the rest were loose single packs. If memory serves, the final three numbers of the part code were different on the loose packs.

The difference between the two types was that one manufacturer had put a small hole in the center of the bearing. Whether this was for extra oil retention or just part of the casting process I do not know, but the hole looks too small to have any real purpose. I have taken apart two F3 bottom ends so far and one had bearings with this small hole and the other engine did not.
Same thing happened to me on my last rebuild (one bearing with the small hole).
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"