Author Topic: Case Crack??  (Read 1576 times)

Offline BrickWoll

Case Crack??
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:01:29 pm »
Hey All.  I am in the final stages of a long winter rebuild on my '77 CB550.  When fitting my oil pan back on after cleaning, I noticed what looks (and feels) like a crack just above the seam where the pan fastens to the case.  Can anyone confirm if this 11th hour reveal is as bad as I think it is?   Shot is from rear-left toward front of bike.

Any info is appreciated.

'77 CB550 K3

Offline minimo

• Expert
  • 1977 CB550F 1975 CB400F 1959 Ducati 200 Americano
Re: Case Crack??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 06:09:57 pm »
Ouch. That sucks and I’m sorry to read about this.
From my personal experience dealing with repairing cast aluminum parts like on the engine, in most cases it’s easiest to find a replacement part; if you’re lucky to find them.
Repairing this sort of thing involves tearing everything down and being meticulous with the preparation, as in copious amounts of cleaning and blasting of surfaces (and repeating 10x) to ensure a clean slate to work from. If the cast aluminum is not prepped well, the impurities can promote porosity on the welds and you end up with more of a headache trying to fill in a bunch of pin-holes which is the last thing you want in an area where oil leaks are likely to build up the most.
Skilled welders will know what they’re up against. There’s a general fear and mixed notes from folks surrounding the warping of metals when welding, and it’s usually because they don’t evenly heat up or bake the parts before they begin welding, otherwise the metal can contract in a not-so-great way.
There’s also the clean up after the welds. Because there are mating surfaces here, you’ll want to spend some time honing them flat and as straight as possible by placing a straightedge on the area as you grind. A thicker oil pan gasket will also help :-)
But fear not. A fix for this is possible - I’ve certainly seen and experienced worse. Just don’t put JB Weld on it and expect to walk away as some folks have done.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 06:15:10 pm »
BUT, before tearing it all apart again, since you’re seemingly unclear as to whether this is an actual crack or a casting mark, perhaps you should clean the area very well with some degreaser and wipe it all down, CLEAN, and go out for some length of rides. Check the area and clean again. Repeat all of this until you are certain that there is some leak coming from the “crack.”
Another helpful tip after cleaning is to apply some baby powder around the area to make a source of leak more visible.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 06:23:28 pm »
Crack. Plain and simple. After thoroughly cleaning it, hit it with a propane torch. That will help show you the length of it.

It can be welded, but it won’t be fun. Motor out of the frame. Oil drained. Whoever welds it will clean it repeatedly, grind the crack open, then spend a good while welding it closed and dealing with all kinds of crap. Don’t expect it to look great, but where it’s located, it will be fine. Leave the pan on, remove the seal when welding it. Unless the crack extends all the way to that surface. Then some light filing will make the mating surfaces flat again.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline BrickWoll

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 06:27:12 pm »
BUT, before tearing it all apart again, since you’re seemingly unclear as to whether this is an actual crack or a casting mark, perhaps you should clean the area very well with some degreaser and wipe it all down, CLEAN, and go out for some length of rides. Check the area and clean again. Repeat all of this until you are certain that there is some leak coming from the “crack.”
Another helpful tip after cleaning is to apply some baby powder around the area to make a source of leak more visible.

Thanks for the advice minimo.  I will clean it up and watch for seepage for before any drastic measures are taken.  I've put far too many hours and $ to NOT exhaust every possibility before welding or *ugh* engine swap. 
'77 CB550 K3

Offline BrickWoll

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 06:37:54 pm »
Crack. Plain and simple. After thoroughly cleaning it, hit it with a propane torch. That will help show you the length of it.

It can be welded, but it won’t be fun. Motor out of the frame. Oil drained. Whoever welds it will clean it repeatedly, grind the crack open, then spend a good while welding it closed and dealing with all kinds of crap. Don’t expect it to look great, but where it’s located, it will be fine. Leave the pan on, remove the seal when welding it. Unless the crack extends all the way to that surface. Then some light filing will make the mating surfaces flat again.

Thanks for the info, calj737.  Going to start with a thorough cleaning to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.  If it comes to welding, can this be addressed from the outside only or will the case need to be opened?  My welding knowledge is exactly none. 
'77 CB550 K3

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 06:38:13 pm »
If it is a casting flaw , its sticking  out... if its an innie, it is a crack
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BrickWoll

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 09:15:14 pm »
If it is a casting flaw , its sticking  out... if its an innie, it is a crack

This gives me a bit of hope because there is a distinct ridge between the two sides when I run my finger across, but the two sides are not on the same plane which seems like a crack and separation.  I'll clean it up and take a new pic.  Maybe that will reveal the issue more clearly.   
'77 CB550 K3

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 09:16:42 pm »
I tried having my lower case welded by a pro, he still told me there was no guarantee and it was in a very troublesome area, I didnt split my cases and he didnt attempt any welding from the inside.. It can be done, split your cases and have it done right. I would look for a new set of cases as well just in case.

Bummer.
73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 02:01:59 am »
If that is on the left side of the bike at the back right above the pan that is not a crack. That is a documented casting flaw in all 550’s. Let me find a picture of mine.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
Case Crack??
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 02:11:15 am »
Here:

May not be a good picture but I assure you it’s not a crack. There have been other posts about this flaw on the forum if you search around. And anyone here that has a 550 can take a picture of theirs.

Offline BrickWoll

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 07:16:41 am »
Here:

May not be a good picture but I assure you it’s not a crack. There have been other posts about this flaw on the forum if you search around. And anyone here that has a 550 can take a picture of theirs.

Thank you, Dave!  That is exactly where it is.  This is phenomenal news.  I had begun to resign myself to missing the riding season after many hours of work.  I'm curious if this is only on certain years or all 550s?  I will search the forums for more info.  Thanks again - made my day.
'77 CB550 K3

Offline chiefum

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 07:28:53 am »
This is a crappy pic, but my 75 and 78 both have it in that location.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:52:28 am by chiefum »

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 07:30:40 am »
Here:

Thank you, Dave!  That is exactly where it is.  This is phenomenal news.  I had begun to resign myself to missing the riding season after many hours of work.  I'm curious if this is only on certain years or all 550s?  I will search the forums for more info.  Thanks again - made my day.
I’m like, 99% sure it’s on all year 550’s but I could be wrong. Glad to help, I had that same sunken feeling when I saw mine. Actually surprised I was the first to reply with it.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 07:32:21 am »
BrickWoll, let’s hope those are casting marks on your engine. I can’t wait to hear. Let us know :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 07:34:29 am »
BrickWoll, let’s hope those are casting marks on your engine. I can’t wait to hear. Let us know :-)

It IS a casting flaw. No need to diagnose further.

Offline minimo

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 07:37:22 am »

Such confidence! :-D
Well, that’s awesome news!

Offline Robbo

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 07:48:10 am »
My 75 CB550…

1973 CB350 Four, 1975 CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 11:27:16 am »

Such confidence! :-D
Well, that’s awesome news!

Damn right! Haha

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 12:01:00 pm »
Ok here is what happens.. I believe the dies are watercooled to aid chilling.
 So dies close , hot molten metal get forced into dies, then when cooled enough dies open and part is ejected.
Sometimes a thousand times a day.. day after day.
 Regardless of material.. and they choose wisely... due to the many cycles this leads to cracks like yours in the dies. BUT DOES NOT Affect function of part.. and dies are expensive so they run them that way for awhile..
 So if thats the case, it will be a raised flaw.. not an inward crack or depression..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 01:06:39 pm »
 It sounds like Frank has run a die cast machine. I did for a couple weeks. 
  His theory sounds perfectly correct to me. After one 8 hour shift a QC guy re-melted all except three of my lawn boy crankcases. I apparently cooled the die too much. Or not enough. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 03:09:08 pm »
I’m going with it was sabotage from an undercover Kawasaki executive.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 05:53:27 pm »
I have never seen a machine in person, but am a curious machinist type..
 You want to see cracks, look at 750 cluch covers...
dodogas99@gmail.com