Author Topic: Valve guides and vapour blast cleaning...  (Read 950 times)

Offline Oz350Four

• Keep yer stick on the ice...!!!
Valve guides and vapour blast cleaning...
« on: May 22, 2021, 05:41:10 am »
I'm about ready to send my cases and sundry covers away for vapour blast cleaning and I'm wondering if I need to remove the valve guides or not..???
I'm of the belief that vapour blasting is not abrasive (like sand, bead or soda blasting) and therefore wouldn't damage them..??
More than happy too be schooled on this one...
"Me speed officer...?? never..!!!"

1972 CB350F Four - Project Ol' Red (current)
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce - Sold to start this project.

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
Re: Valve guides and vapour blast cleaning...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 05:51:32 am »
Vapor blasting should not harm the guides but I would request the guide holes be stoppered.  I used small cork stoppers when I vapor blasted my head.  The glass beads used in vapor blasting are round to begin with but they become broken up over time/use and can act like an fine abrasive.  Some shops will change the glass beads often but you don't know what they do in their shop so erring on  the side of caution is best.

When you get your stuff back from being blasted you should reclean the head and run small gauge gun brushes through every hole.  The glass beads cling tenaciously to oil/grease coated surfaces!  I would also use a small  wire gun cleaning brush and carb cleaner to clean out any threaded holes.

-P.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:55:57 am by pjlogue »

Offline Oz350Four

• Keep yer stick on the ice...!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 10:28:33 pm »
Thanks for idea pjlogue... I've been informed by another person on a different forum that said I should ask the person doing the work to avoid the cam journals on the head along with the upper ones on the cover...
"Me speed officer...?? never..!!!"

1972 CB350F Four - Project Ol' Red (current)
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce - Sold to start this project.

Offline pjlogue

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 02:04:34 am »
I think you meant to say bearing instead of journal and yes, protecting them is a good idea!  You can trim electrical tape on the cam bearing surfaces.  Degrease the bearing surface and really press the tape into the bearing surface. 

-P.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 08:45:02 am »
Vapour blasting uses abrasive material in water. Less mess than dry blasting as the abrasive dust doesn't blow all around although there is some sprayed around. So maybe they use glass beads, maybe they use carborundum or whatever.
You want a mild abrasive that minimizes cutting into the alloy.
I would go with soda blasting which is very kind to the metal but strips off paint and dirt. It's safe for fibreglass as well, if the operator is careful, so pretty much doesn't cut metal at all. There's also dry ice blasting that uses pulverized dry ice, never tried it but since there's no other abrasive there is no cleanup required as the dry ice just turns into CO2 and is gone.

Anyway, yes the guides should be capped and cam bearing bore surfaces masked.
Grit will get down into all holes, I take the blasted parts to a car wash and use the pressure washer wand to flush out all the holes and the ports... a raincoat is recommended (or a bathing suit), you will get sprayback. If you have your own pressure washer then great. I then run a small tube brush in the holes and chase all threads with a bottom tap to ensure cleanliness.

Offline craz1

• Enthusiast
  • CDA, Idaho
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:49:55 am »
Soda blasting will never get the finish that vapor blasting will and will take a long tome to remove the paint on the heads. I used Gorilla tape to protect the surfaces I did not want touched. Same with dry ice. I do have a friend who has a dry ice blaster he cleans his molds off with. he does use it to clean parts on his bikes but it takes a lot of dry ice to clean heavy dirt. Does a good job on rims and such.
74 CB550,73 Z1900, 74 Z1900, 75 Z1900,
72 XS2650, 73 RD350, 2013 FJR1300, 84 XJ550 YAM