Author Topic: Sad news for Canadian Road Racing  (Read 996 times)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
Sad news for Canadian Road Racing
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:09:31 pm »
I have been told Yvonne deHamel has passed away at age 81. RIP
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline johno

• Expert
Re: Sad news for Canadian Road Racing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 04:57:58 am »
Bloody legend, was born to ride.
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:56:02 am »
One of the best..........I watched him race for several years at Road America........and only 7 years my senior ;)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 10:02:30 am »
He is a much loved guy here at home, but everywhere he raced. He was a great Dad to fast boys as well, especially Miquel. I remember those boys when they were 4 or 5 riding mini mx'ers all over the pits. Yvon and Sophie were cool parents.

In 1970 I watched him dominate the competition at a snowmobile event when Bombardier unleashed a new Blizzard sled with a rotary valve 440. He could ride anything fast!

When I think back to his hay-day on those Kawasakis, they were fast, but he had so many DNF's due to mechanical problems.

He has had some health issues the last few years, poor guy. Sympathies to his family. Race in Peace Yvon.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 04:49:21 pm »
He is a much loved guy here at home, but everywhere he raced. He was a great Dad to fast boys as well, especially Miquel. I remember those boys when they were 4 or 5 riding mini mx'ers all over the pits. Yvon and Sophie were cool parents.

In 1970 I watched him dominate the competition at a snowmobile event when Bombardier unleashed a new Blizzard sled with a rotary valve 440. He could ride anything fast!

When I think back to his hay-day on those Kawasakis, they were fast, but he had so many DNF's due to mechanical problems.

He has had some health issues the last few years, poor guy. Sympathies to his family. Race in Peace Yvon.
They were bombs Brent. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 09:24:16 am »

The two stroke triples?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 10:43:37 am »
 yes the two stroke triples , he also had to race them against tz750s which must have been hard . met him a couple of times , the last time was about 20 years ago at cadwell park . he was riding a triumph triple for team obsolete , we had both broken down and were waiting for the recovery van . had the normal chat about weather and tyres , i was very pleased to have spent some time with him .