Author Topic: Bonneville Bound  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Bonneville Bound
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2024, 10:36:55 am »
Rich, I passed your info along to Kim. May take him a bit to get you fixed up with the photos but he will do it. Heading to Manila tonight but I will keep checking in with him ie How did Rich and Dennis like the pictures you sent? haha. His standard answer is "I was going to do that today" haha. He did say he got at least 1 really good shot.

Send me your email through my link on the forum. I tried to directly send you a link to RT tixs and realized I don't have your email.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2024, 08:01:39 am »
  Go out again and just hold fourth gear and run 122.89, record in modified partial streamline classic gas is 120.2 (same guy) so qual for another record return.  Return is 123.7mph so three AMA national records pending.

Hey Rich....this is very impressive and I'm sure a thrill!  Congrats....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2024, 04:04:40 am »
Thanks Steve

Rich

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2024, 07:47:11 pm »
Hey Rich, how many RPM's were you turning in 4th at 122+?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2024, 07:20:06 am »
Scottly,
Probably went into the measured mile at 10,500, maybe crept up to 10,700 by the exit.  I was hitting 12k in 2nd and 3rd.  Planned to run go pro which I always have capturing the tach also but had battery problems, got busy with just trying to get out on track and left the gopro alone.  Sometimes I find the gopro's memory is better than mine.  But the jetting change from 105s to 100s definitely picked up power and revs on the last two runs.  Headwinds and tailwinds have quite the effect also. 

Rich

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2024, 08:02:11 pm »
Less is more when it came to fueling bikes at bonneville this season.

Nice Hat Trick Mr. Magee.
Are you gonna have enough shelf space for all those number 1 plates?!

(Results got posted on the bmst website)
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2024, 07:50:17 am »

Congrats again Rich, very impressive!    Could one of the experts decode the results, I know 500 is the class but what is M [motorcycle?] MPS, CF & CG?   Thx
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2024, 01:21:15 pm »

Congrats again Rich, very impressive!    Could one of the experts decode the results, I know 500 is the class but what is M [motorcycle?] MPS, CF & CG?   Thx

First batch of letters are Frame Class
Second bunch of letters are engine and propellant types.

Rich set records as a (M)odified (C)lassic (F)uel 500cc entry.
With additional records as a modified (P)artial (S)treamlined (G)as & fuel driven machine.

Screenshot of the rulebook for additional reference.

75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
07 FJR1300; Lydia

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2024, 05:32:40 am »
Thanks BomberMann, and congrats on your record again with a bike that was willing to go outside the norm.

Yes, a $49 fairing gets you into two more classes.

Some youtubers known as "Cars and Cameras" came out with a crazy machine they call a minibike, they mostly do small engine things.  They did capture my bike leaving the start which is great cause I got to listen to how it sounds going downtrack from off the bike.  Kiyo's Garage CB160 is just prior with his wife riding, went 95mph.  If this works:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvOlfVbtWQz5wgDDHG2eQcyTGH0dyin8L?si=PURBaGxDAXuVO9bF

Rich

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2024, 07:25:29 am »

First batch of letters are Frame Class
Second bunch of letters are engine and propellant types.

Rich set records as a (M)odified (C)lassic (F)uel 500cc entry.
With additional records as a modified (P)artial (S)treamlined (G)as & fuel driven machine.

Screenshot of the rulebook for additional reference.

Thx Bomber...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2024, 07:27:29 am »
Some youtubers known as "Cars and Cameras" came out with a crazy machine they call a minibike, they mostly do small engine things.  They did capture my bike leaving the start which is great cause I got to listen to how it sounds going downtrack from off the bike.  Kiyo's Garage CB160 is just prior with his wife riding, went 95mph.  If this works:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvOlfVbtWQz5wgDDHG2eQcyTGH0dyin8L?si=PURBaGxDAXuVO9bF

Bike sounds very healthy, Rich.  I know you werent doing it there but cant believe you shift at 12K rpm!!!

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2024, 08:03:25 am »
That's what a Mike Rieck head will do for you  ;D ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2024, 04:23:40 pm »
That's what a Mike Rieck head will do for you  ;D ;)
Thanks Jerry. That head has some big ports....especially the exhaust ports.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2024, 10:40:55 am »
Yes, thanks again Mike for the head work and also all the advice and assistance with the rest of the motor setup.

Rich

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2024, 10:44:21 am »
And thanks to Jerry's buddy Kim for taking some photos for me.  I'll post a couple as thanks.

Rich

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2024, 05:26:36 am »
Great photos.

(Now i can finally put a face to the name)
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
07 FJR1300; Lydia

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2024, 07:38:06 am »
And thanks to Jerry's buddy Kim for taking some photos for me.

Great pics...frame 'em along with your record plates and hang 'em in your man cave!

Offline Dresda500

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2024, 02:24:35 pm »
Great job guys! Bonneville is a special place that will find all weak spots. It doesn’t make sense but when I was running out there we dyno’d in Texas but really didn’t have to change much on the tune even if at altitude. This is still and always will be my favorite hat.

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2024, 05:45:26 pm »
That is a pretty cool hat Dresda.  I must admit I have no wish to hit 200mph with a motorcycle riding across salt.

I'll probably hit the Texas Mile in March next year and dial in gearing and jetting.  Then we'll see how it works in Bonneville next year.

Rich

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2024, 09:27:11 pm »

It doesn’t make sense but when I was running out there we dyno’d in Texas but really didn’t have to change much on the tune even if at altitude.
I've been trying to tell these guys the same thing for years, and it never seems to sink in. ::) ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Dresda500

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2024, 11:57:20 pm »
That is a pretty cool hat Dresda.  I must admit I have no wish to hit 200mph with a motorcycle riding across salt.

I'll probably hit the Texas Mile in March next year and dial in gearing and jetting.  Then we'll see how it works in Bonneville next year.

Rich

I have to admit Rich, I cheated and used 4 wheels. I agree, I'll keep my high speed 2 wheel adventures on asphalt. Roadracing vintage bikes is a blast, but I had an OFF 2 weeks ago on my CB250K twin SOHC , goiing over the handelbars at 80 or so...at 52, it hurts in the morning with two broken hands, 4 ribs, a punctured lung and a dislocated shoulder. At Bonneville we raced a '23 and a '27 model T roadster. I set my record in 2010 in the 27 and have been 272mph in that one and over 300mph in the 23 with my friend driving.

One of the most important things out there as you know is to keep you engine in the powerband, especiaslly in the last two gears as the wind resistance increases so much. If you dont have a close ratio 5th gear, its wise to get one. I happen to have them on the shelf as I work with NOVA in the UK on several projects and we just designed and made a batch of first and fifth CR gears for both the CB250/350 twin and the CB500/550. I have a Dresda CB500 that hopefully will be back on the race track next season.
I'll have to run through your post again, not sure what all youve done on the internals, but one thing i do on my road race bikes as well is to port the head to make it go into choke in the fast section before the SSR  at my wanted shift point, slightly past max hp, but often in roadracing it's not optimal to shift due to turns or whatever, so what this choke usually does is it puts a celing on your peak HP, but it will just hang there for another 1000+rpm before it starts to decline, or it declines very slow for that This gives you the possibility to shift later so your rpm drop in the next gear is smack in the middle of your power peak curve. For instance on the little 250, which is same bore/stroke as CB500 56x50.6mm, I have a VERY modified head as these had same ports and valves as CB350K (34mm intake valve made for a gutless and peaky motor!!!) , so lots of epoxy and smaller valves to get the velocity up. I usually shift at 11,000rpm, but can take it to 12+ with about the same power and the valvetrain can handle it. It's a bit easier to configure gearing and shift points when the bike is standing straight up, as in roadracing the rpm drops a good bit when you turn in on the side of the tire and effective radius reduces.
But. my long winded point was that many have struggled on the salt as when they shift to high gear the rpm drop puts the available HP at an rpm that is less than the wind drag, so they cant pull any higher to GET to max hp, where they could have gone faster if the rpm drop was 500rpm higher.

I see you are in SA. I grew up 35 years in Texas, in the hill country north of Austin, in between Georgetown and Liberty Hill, later Houston. Moved to Norway in 2005...women... ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2024, 07:19:32 am »

Rich
I grew up 35 years in Texas, in the hill country north of Austin, in between Georgetown and Liberty Hill, later Houston. Moved to Norway in 2005...women... ;D

Hey Dresda...I was in Liberty Hill yesterday, have a buddy that lives there.  You wouldnt recognize the area, it has exploded in growth over the last 5 years or so!

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2024, 12:06:29 pm »
Dresda, 300 in a car also sounds sketchy.   Hope you heal up soon, I'll guess you were at Goodwood?  Thanks for the input on peak hp, shifts, etc.

Mike Rieck did the head work on my bike and also made recommendations on cam, comp. ratio, etc.  All designed with my intention of land speed racing with this bike.  Since my clutch was slipping at Texas Mile last year, I'm not really sure how it truly behaved when shifting to fifth out there.  But it was pulling so good at Bonneville that I was quite surprised when 5th gear seemed to produce nothing.  I haven't dyno'ed the bike to figure out the exact peak power band. I've picked up a couple larger rear sprockets but would also be interested hearing more about the CR fifth gear for the 500.

Get well,
Rich