Author Topic: Removing wheel bearing retainers without a special tool  (Read 997 times)

Offline pekingduck

• Enthusiast
Removing wheel bearing retainers without a special tool
« on: September 07, 2021, 12:30:06 am »
You need access to a solidly mounted bench vise and drill bits.  I would recommend having new replacement bearing retainers on hand.  That way you can be positive what the thread direction is. 

If you are replacing the spokes or rim, I recommend removing the retainers while the wheel is together.

Make sure you've eradicated the punch marks by lightly drilling into them, just enough to see fresh shiny aluminum.

Make sure you've applied WD40 or a penetrant/lubricant into the threads.

Measure the distance between the slots or opposite pin holes.

Find 2 drill bits that fit snugly into the slots or holes.

Place the drill bits shank end up in the vise, protruding just enough, and placed the proper distance apart.

Put the wheel or sprocket carrier upside down so the drill ends go into the slot or holes.  If you are removing the sprocket carrier bearing, you can put the entire wheel with dampers over it.

Determine which way you need to rotate the wheel, and turn it, while keeping downward pressure.  By using the entire wheel, you have tremendous leverage and control.

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: Removing wheel bearing retainers without a special tool
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 05:26:14 am »
Good alternative method. A few years ago I bought a set of tools for this from a fellow in England, on EBay. Beautifully made, the job is easy now.

Offline pekingduck

• Enthusiast
Re: Removing wheel bearing retainers without a special tool
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 06:43:25 am »
The right tools make the job easier, but the amount of leverage turning the wheel instead of the tool is remarkable.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:57:53 am by pekingduck »