Author Topic: Cam followers - hardening/chrome flaking off- Critical?  (Read 937 times)

Offline timtune

• Enthusiast
Cam followers - hardening/chrome flaking off- Critical?
« on: November 30, 2021, 04:45:28 pm »
I've been going through the collection of top ends I have and can't seem to find a set of followers that don't have small flakes of the hardening flaking off - I call them followers - one end rides on the cam and the other on the valve stem. Some have spots maybe 1mm x 1mm or 1mm x 2mm. Some have it coming off the outer edges at the sides.

How critical is this? Considering the number of motors I have with this condition is must be common. Oddly most of the camshaft look decent.

Any advice appreciated here.

Thanks

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: Cam followers - hardening/chrome flaking off- Critical?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:08:38 pm »
 I'd be reluctant to use them, especially on a new or especially nice cam. It is possible new type oils were used, without the zinc and cadmium etc. that protect old style non roller cams.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 07:41:23 am »
I've been going through the collection of top ends I have and can't seem to find a set of followers that don't have small flakes of the hardening flaking off - I call them followers - one end rides on the cam and the other on the valve stem. Some have spots maybe 1mm x 1mm or 1mm x 2mm. Some have it coming off the outer edges at the sides.

How critical is this? Considering the number of motors I have with this condition is must be common. Oddly most of the camshaft look decent.

Any advice appreciated here.

Thanks
You'll be into the steel in no time even with a stock cam. I have arms that are in decent condition if you want to but them.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline timtune

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 06:03:39 pm »
I'd be reluctant to use them, especially on a new or especially nice cam. It is possible new type oils were used, without the zinc and cadmium etc. that protect old style non roller cams.

This oil thing is news to me. How new is new? I last rode this bike in '04.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 07:11:31 pm »
 Oil is mostly formulated for emissions engines with roller cams. It may not have much zinc or other soft metals that help protect cam lobes and lifters. Most car engine builders no don't want to sell solid or hydraulic lifters without rollers due to a decades long rash of lifter and cam failures.
 There are diesel formulas or additives made to help these issues. A friend ran 70wt in his alcohol dragster, they added several bottles of axle lube per barrel of oil just to get the zinc and other additives.
 The above is my opinion and not intended to begin an oil discussion, only to explain what I believe may be happening. this began when the automakers went to roller cams.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 09:35:56 pm »
Google search on sohc forums + Spectro and you will find oil threads with good information.
Check if cam lobes and bearing surfaces are ok and not grinded/scuffed. That can indicate bad oil flow due to dirt in oil distribution like clogged oil orifices in head, cam holders.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:19:22 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967