Author Topic: When Installing a Performance Cam  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Ellz10

• ZZ
  • Expert
  • Knowledge is Power
Re: When Installing a Performance Cam
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2022, 07:07:28 am »
It might be time to call your cam manufacturer if your confident your measurements are accurate.

I once ordered a .670 lift intake cam and received a .520 lift cam shaft with the .670 lift’s number on it.
With the same manufacturer received a cam with one bearing journal considerably larger and wouldn’t fit in the sbc block.

Check your .050 intake opening and closing and see if it is any where near your 268* total duration.

Doesn’t matter whether it’s 25*btdc - 59* abdc or earlier or later. Just the total is close to 264*.

Yeah im gunna give them a call today and see what they deal is. Maybe they can provide some insight.
Thankful for everyone on this forum. Grateful to continue to learn so much.

'77 K7 - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,193043.msg2251436/topicseen.html#new

Offline Ellz10

• ZZ
  • Expert
  • Knowledge is Power
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2022, 10:04:19 am »
Am I supposed to be adding a set number for some reason or anything like that? I don't understand. This is the only thing keeping me from finishing this motor rebuild.

EDIT :

I finally figured out the problem. After a call to WebCam Racing and a few pictures back and forth, we were able to determine that my understanding of "zero valve lash" was incorrect  ::)

I was under the assumption that zero valve lash meant that the tappet screw was not to touch the top nub of the valve. So after correcting that and re-doing the process, I was able to achieve. 375" which is still .010" off but I'm assuming it's user error or an error in reading of the indicator.

I'm going to go ahead and read all of them and make sure they're correct and if they are then I'm moving forward!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 02:52:02 pm by Ellz10 »

'77 K7 - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,193043.msg2251436/topicseen.html#new

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2022, 03:18:14 pm »
 George Bryce is on facebook explaining cam timing now, it will be available to watch after it's done live. He is a bit of a guru on Suzuki dragbikes and V twins. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Ellz10

• ZZ
  • Expert
  • Knowledge is Power
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2022, 04:41:21 pm »
George Bryce is on facebook explaining cam timing now, it will be available to watch after it's done live. He is a bit of a guru on Suzuki dragbikes and V twins.

Too bad I don't have Facebook!

Offline Ellz10

• ZZ
  • Expert
  • Knowledge is Power
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2022, 04:44:58 pm »
This is what I got now. Much better. My intake duration is off by 4° and my exhaust duration is off by 7°  -  my intake lobe center is 2° advanced while my exhaust lobe center is 0.5° retarded. Is my duration off due to my lobe centers being off a couple?

Intake #1

21° BTDC

59° ABDC

Duration at .050" : 260°

Lobe Center : 109°

Exhaust #1

23° ATDC

62° BBDC

Duration at .050" : 265°

Lobe Center : 109.5

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2022, 09:52:14 pm »

Too bad I don't have Facebook!

He posts them on youtube too. Tech Talk Tuesday. I'm not sure it would help. In case anyone wants to figure out what he's saying.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:54:39 pm by Don R »

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2022, 10:51:52 pm »
This is what I got now. Much better. My intake duration is off by 4° and my exhaust duration is off by 7°  -  my intake lobe center is 2° advanced while my exhaust lobe center is 0.5° retarded. Is my duration off due to my lobe centers being off a couple?

Intake #1

21° BTDC

59° ABDC

Duration at .050" : 260°

Lobe Center : 109°

Exhaust #1

23° ATDC

62° BBDC

Duration at .050" : 265°

Lobe Center : 109.5

Your measured intake duration is off by 4* because your intake valve wasn’t open .050 at 25* btdc. It's .050
opening as you recorded it was 4* late (retarded) at 21* btdc, but closed right on cam card 59*abdc.
260* measured duration vs cam card 264* difference of 4*

Your measured exhaust .050 opening occurred at 62* bbdc, 4* after the cam cards 66* went by..
Your exhaust recorded .050 closing occurred at 23* atdc, 3* before the cam cards 26* made it to the pointer.
Measured duration 265* vs cam card 272* difference of 7*.

I would try setting your indicator (with the shortest extension) up on #1 intake’s retainer at Honda T mark/ true TDC degree wheel and carefully Preload indicator to  .500. Zero the indicator.  Loosen jam nut on intake #1 rocker arm and turn lash adjuster screw in until Indicator needle starts to move. Lock jam nut on Intake #1 rocker arm without moving indicator’s needle. This should get you really close to zero lash and take up all the clearance (slack) in rocker-arm bore to pin and pin to holder bore. Recheck intake opening and closing and see if you get 260* total duration again for the intake or whether it shows closer to 264*…I don’t think the cam grinder machine’s tolerances would allow a 4* duration error on the intake and a 7* duration error on the exhaust. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 05:46:24 am by Tracksnblades1 »
Age Quod Agis

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2022, 07:45:55 am »
 I was wondering if the valve could be at zero lash but already partially open?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2022, 11:55:17 am »
That is why I always time cams at the running lash. If....for example....the intake valve is supposed to open at 20 degrees BTDC BUT you .005" of lash. Your opening will be delayed by 5 degrees and you will get the number on the cam card at 15 degrees BTDC. I never like that zero lash as I have seen people preload the valve which Don is alluding to.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2022, 12:06:58 pm »
That is why I always time cams at the running lash. If....for example....the intake valve is supposed to open at 20 degrees BTDC BUT you .005" of lash. Your opening will be delayed by 5 degrees and you will get the number on the cam card at 15 degrees BTDC. I never like that zero lash as I have seen people preload the valve which Don is alluding to.

That elusive and subjective zero lash is what brought the lobe center methods.
Less chances of set up and read errors…
Age Quod Agis

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2022, 06:54:26 pm »
 It can be difficult subject to wrap your mind around. I took a week off and came back to it last time.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2022, 06:27:57 am »
I've always done it by measuring what the cam has on #1 cylinder, then on #4 cylinder. Too often I have found (except on Megacycle's cams) that I have to 'split the difference' between them, as they were not identical.

This said: the modern cam-grinder machines (CNC) should not have this issue today. Still, I find it once in a while: many of the performance cams we find in these engines now were made long ago... ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com