Author Topic: M-Unit Wiring kit from Revival, worth it?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Michaelsoberanes

M-Unit Wiring kit from Revival, worth it?
« on: April 20, 2022, 11:15:05 pm »
I splurged and received the bougie wiring kit, it's sweet, and why not splurge when I already splurged on an M-Unit.

You happy with your purchase? Is it missing anything?

I'll be installing the M-Unit next week when it arrives from Germany!

77 550ss
1977 CB 550f SS
1987 Kawasaki ZX-6

Offline stocky

Re: M-Unit Wiring kit from Revival, worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 10:35:46 pm »
Worth it. I rewired it with my own wiring and in the end really wish I spent the extra $$ for the wiring.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 04:53:32 am »
Nothing wrong with it. You can buy spools of quality wire in different colors from McMaster and others. What is critical is the connectors and that you pay special attention to terminating the wires properly.

There should be 2 wire sizes (gauge) in that kit. The thinner wires lead TO the mUnit. The thicker wires run FROM the mUnit to the component (light, coils, signals, etc). The reason is the wires heading to the mUnit from your handlebar controls only carry a “ground” signal. The wires running to the component carry power. This differs from the stock setup where power was sent through the handlebar controls then to the component.

If you are using stock type controls, then you will have some “configuring” to do. If you post up pictures of the left and right hand switch controls, I can tell you what goes where and save you some headaches.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Shtonecb500

• Master
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 07:48:43 pm »
im forking over money for the wiring kit to ensure some level of quality, Ive done more than my fair share of #$%*ty electrical connections and wiring jobs. For once, Ill get nice components for the 400 buck mini computer.

Im really excited about a few features:
alarm functionality
light/indicator pattern/scheme functionality
turn signal cancelling coming out of turns
engine brake modulation

73/74'' CB500/550 resto-mod - sold
75' 750f 91' cbr f2 swap cafe - mock up
74' 750 chopper hardtail - complete - sold
74' CB750/836kit - Black mix & match - daily rider - always tweaking
71' cb500 K0 survivor - complete
71' K1 - CANDY GOLD/BROWN Winton kit - in process

Offline gray123

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2024, 09:24:15 am »
I have one fitted to an Egli vincent- Just fried the thing this morning ((( its literally half melted, horn stuck on and highbeam- I was hoping @calj737 could give some words of wisdom on this but i think he wont accept private message so wasnt sure how to post a new topic.. Sorry to jump in on your post.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2024, 05:20:56 pm »
I accept PMs, but I think you need 5 posts before you can send them.

Fire away about your mUnit? Pictures, schematics, best detailed info you have helps.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis