Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168427 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3775 on: October 22, 2024, 12:12:46 am »
Do you have a qualified transmission person not far from you which you could pay a certain amount to ....Would you consider purchasing a good,used transmission, to work with ?

Well, I have a hard time paying someone a lot of money to have all the fun when I can do it myself.  There aren't a lot of these transmissions around, and the ones that are out there go for big money.  Then you have a used transmission you don't know anything about until you go to considerable effort to get it back in the car.    If it has a problem, you are back to square one.  Of course, jobs like this are always easier the second time around. ;)

wow massive job!!!

It's a big job.  But the reason I bought the lift is for stuff like this.  The lift makes oil changes fun, but it is for jobs like this that it pays for itself.  Back before I got the lift, the clutch slave cylinder on my son's previous C5 needed to be fixed.  He paid over $1800 to have the work done, which involves much of the disassembly we did for this job.  I also bought a high lift transmission jack a couple of years ago which comes in handy for all kinds of jobs.  So we are well equipped to do it.

If any of you have advice or experience to share on these transmissions, I'd appreciate hearing it.  Stev-o?

Hey Greg...  Sorry, I have no experience or interest for that matter in Corvettes after model year 1972. I'm a "chrome bumper" guy.

Perfectly understandable.  I am basically the same.  And I dislike complexity for complexity's sake.  But the power and handling of the newer cars is seductive.

Greg,do you and your son plan to purchase a new shaft and new parts to be pressed onto it ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3776 on: October 22, 2024, 11:06:03 am »
Your son will appreciate the savings and learn to be “independent”. I love doing stuff like that with my son and there’s nothing better.

Yes, the time spent with him on this has been great.  I am impressed with how good a mechanic he has become.

Excellent. Perseverance often leads to useful learning!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3777 on: October 22, 2024, 11:34:28 am »
Greg,do you and your son plan to purchase a new shaft and new parts to be pressed onto it ?

Yes, that's the plan.  Parts are on order and we hope to get them by the weekend.  However, I won't jinx us by predicting when the car will be back together. :D

I have been accused of being stubborn and obstinate all of my life.  I reply no, I am persistent. ;)
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3778 on: October 22, 2024, 12:08:52 pm »

Yes, that's the plan.  Parts are on order and we hope to get them by the weekend.  However, I won't jinx us by predicting when the car will be back together. :D

I have been accused of being stubborn and obstinate all of my life.  I reply no, I am persistent. ;)

Do they also have a shim kit? for this model transmission..  ???
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3779 on: October 22, 2024, 12:15:47 pm »
They do.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3780 on: October 22, 2024, 04:12:40 pm »

I suspect that is a fairly common trait of those on here……

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3781 on: October 23, 2024, 07:44:49 pm »
For the second time in 23 years in this house, some areshole broke into one of our cars. Recently someone smashed the rear door's quarter glass, ratted through the various junk in the little Hyundai Excel that I bought in 2002 when it was only 5 years old, and has been so reliable that extended loans to both of my sons hasn’t managed to kill it.

There are a few issues apart from the busted out glass. Two outside door handles were broken, the exhaust is rusted out, aircon needs regassing, oil, air and fuel filters and fresh oil, coolant and thermostat replacement. If it was an unreliable pig I would’ve just had it towed away to the wrecking yard but in 22 years and 100,000 miles I’ve replaced one windscreen, a set of tyres, brake pads, oil and filters, and a timing belt.

So instead of getting rid of it, I’m slowly fixing stuff. Did the thermostat, radiator cap and coolant last week, and on the weekend replaced the glass. I’d never done this before but Youtube is your friend and showed me how to remove the window winder securing clip, which was the hardest part of the job. The little green bean is a 4 door hatchback and is “rarer” (because they were a tad more expensive than the coupes) so the only place I could find a window was in Queensland. It arrived last week and I installed it on Saturday.

I’ve got a new exhaust system to install, new door handles, oil and filter etc, ready to go. I’m tempted to buy new spark plugs too, the ones in it are probably the originals, and the car is 28 years old and has done 160,000 miles. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)