Author Topic: The Happy-ish Thread. Share your small wins and mixed blessings.  (Read 56008 times)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
Re: The Happy-ish Thread. Share your small wins and mixed blessings.
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2022, 05:39:30 pm »
Thanks guys! It was a great weekend. Next year I think I'll take one of my 750's.
Cliff.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2022, 04:17:39 am »
Went for breakfast with my better half (much better!) to one of our favourite stops, this morning. East City Coffee Shop, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. Small place, got served by the son and grand daughters of the original couple that opened the place +60 years ago. Probably only 6 booths and 10 stools at the counter. They did a nice job renovating the place during a COVID shut down, but it still feels the same and breakfast was better than ever! Noisy, friendly place that restores my faith in basic, good human nature.

My wife noticed one of the gals tossed a few good shakes of salt in the coffee grounds, every time she made a fresh pot (we were at the counter). I meant to ask her “why?”..... Anybody seen that before? We came out more than Happy-ish. And full.

I had to try salt in coffee after reading The hunt for Red October, many years ago.  It was coffee the Navy style :) - with a pinch of salt. I mentioned it to my colleague, he served in Navy and he does the salt trick on regular basis. 

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2022, 04:23:06 am »
My daughter's 99 Camry had shifting problems and it turned out to be just the TPS. 

This is her last year, the Camry has 290 000 miles on it and it was owned by her two siblings before her.  The hand me down car. 

Here is hoping the car will hold till the end of her school.  :D

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2022, 08:17:32 am »
Cycling in Croatia. Thank God I don’t have a motorcycle here! The roads are extraordinary. I’d be dead by now….. great vacation.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2022, 08:51:52 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the one who just found this:

Isn't that the 'compressor startup assist strap'?
Cheaper than the 30A breaker that won't fit the slot...
:D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2022, 12:38:01 am »
My daughter's 99 Camry had shifting problems and it turned out to be just the TPS. 

This is her last year, the Camry has 290 000 miles on it and it was owned by her two siblings before her.  The hand me down car. 

Here is hoping the car will hold till the end of her school.  :D

TPS solved my trans issue in my 93 Chevy 3500 as well.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2022, 08:46:53 am »
Found this:
“Yhe addition of salt in coffee dampens bitterness without using other additives. Salt naturally brings out the sweetness of coffee and maintains pleasant aromas. If people are sensitive to bitterness, even in specialty coffee, adding salt is a good alternative to using milk and sugar.”

Never heard that before, but lots of references!
I have heard about add salt in the coffee due to the water of melted snow.

But it can be the bitterness softening.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2022, 03:00:25 am »
Found this:
“Yhe addition of salt in coffee dampens bitterness without using other additives. Salt naturally brings out the sweetness of coffee and maintains pleasant aromas. If people are sensitive to bitterness, even in specialty coffee, adding salt is a good alternative to using milk and sugar.”

Never heard that before, but lots of references!
I have heard about add salt in the coffee due to the water of melted snow.

But it can be the bitterness softening.

If you drink a lot of (horrible) instant coffee, you'll know that they load it full of salt to enhance the flavour. I haven't had to drink instant coffee since I retired from the regular Army (I've had to drink it occasionally in the Reserves, but not much) because it pisses me off.

On a positive note, I just bought a new repro girder front end for my little 1949 BSA C11. By 1949 my model had a telescopic fork, but they look better with the girder front end that the earlier models came with, so I had to have it. It was advertised for $818 (plus tax, but free shipping, from India) "Or best offer" so I offered $707, and the seller came back with a counter offer of $730. (all $ AUD, so say around $500 USD) I grabbed it with both hands, the price had been lowered from over $1000 when I first looked at them a couple of years ago, so I'm happy that I've saved a little bit more. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2022, 02:19:41 pm »
Slowly acquiring the tools that I dreamed have in a bigger shop. Picked up a Hobart Tigmate for a good price. Full argon bottle on a nice cart.welder had the Tig and Stick leads. 800 bones.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2022, 02:47:15 pm »
Slowly acquiring the tools that I dreamed have in a bigger shop. Picked up a Hobart Tigmate for a good price. Full argon bottle on a nice cart.welder had the Tig and Stick leads. 800 bones.

Good deal mate, I’ve got a couple of Chinese cheapies here, but I’d love to pick up a quality TIG for a good price like that. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2022, 07:54:15 am »

Good deal mate, I’ve got a couple of Chinese cheapies here, but I’d love to pick up a quality TIG for a good price like that. ;D

Just pure luck. I took out a loan to buy a 49 dodge rat rod. After we talked about me heading out in 3 days to scoop it bc my loan was approved they ghosted me. Only to msg back 4 days later to tell me it was sold.
So I bought a 63 Bel-Air and this Tig with the money. And have a pinch left to work on the Bel-Air. Sweet car with only 35k on the clock.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2022, 08:55:11 am »

Just pure luck. I took out a loan to buy a 49 dodge rat rod. After we talked about me heading out in 3 days to scoop it bc my loan was approved they ghosted me. Only to msg back 4 days later to tell me it was sold.
So I bought a 63 Bel-Air and this Tig with the money. And have a pinch left to work on the Bel-Air. Sweet car with only 35k on the clock.

The 63' Bel-Air sounds nice;does it have a 409? Pics ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2022, 03:58:37 pm »
It's a 293 car. Motors locked up been sitting since 1970.
Trying to get it freed up. If I can't get it buy the end of next week I'll start getting it ready to swap a 350 in my buddy has.
It has a 350 turbo but I'd rather keep the power glide if I have to swap motors.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2022, 04:53:05 pm »
Good project car  8) with Plenty of steel & built to last a lifetime; is it a 'keeper' ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »
Good project car  8) with Plenty of steel & built to last a lifetime; is it a 'keeper' ?

For now.
May out it on the road and trade for a Edsel I see running around at shows. The fellow expressed interest in that swap. But other than that I just want it to be there for the ole lady to cruise around.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2022, 10:35:16 am »
Phoned Bell Canada this morning because there was so much static and noise on the line it was becoming useless! Usual push #1 etc., etc...... I did it all but ultimately “the first available appointment” was this morning!! Set it up and two hours later the tech was in the driveway. Problem was out in the road and he fixed it quickly! By noon he was gone and problem resolved. Unreal!

What made it even more astounding is he came from their service depot in Belleville, Ontario. It’s a two hour drive from our farm. He said, “they were having a quiet day”. Better lucky than smart.

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2022, 07:05:34 pm »
^^^Wow thats way better than AT&T in So Cal. I have been trying to get them to fix my internet for around 2 months. They said I could get fiber optic  but I had to get permission from my neighbor so they could access THEIR pole, that was service call 1. Got permission and they said they couldn't do it because the needed permission from another neighbor, which they wanted me to arrange.  Service trip 2. Next they said there was too much stuff  in there way! That was service trip 3 and still nothing fixed! Now they want me to go tell them to move their crap! That house is  a block and a half away. I asked the tech if when he left the yard if he had any intention of doing the work and got the deer In the headlights look. I told him I don't work for AT&T and have no intention of knocking on someone's door that I don't even know or if they even speak English and tell them to clean their yard.

Maybe your guy could come to  So Cal and fix me up too!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2022, 03:48:16 am »
I gave up and bought new carburetor for Troy tiller.  It started right up and now it runs like raped ape ;D

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2022, 06:56:49 am »
I gave up and bought new carburetor for Troy tiller.  It started right up and now it runs like raped ape ;D

I’ve seen this on a few pieces of yard equipment lately. Messed for weeks with stuff that doesn’t quite sound right. New carb solves it..... I suspect the throttle shafts wear out the carb bodies and allow ever increasing air leaks at all the points. Ultimately no amount of tuning compensates.....

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2022, 10:13:04 am »

I’ve seen this on a few pieces of yard equipment lately. Messed for weeks with stuff that doesn’t quite sound right. New carb solves it..... I suspect the throttle shafts wear out the carb bodies and allow ever increasing air leaks at all the points. Ultimately no amount of tuning compensates.....

I had problems with fuel float valve. No polishing and cleaning would stop the drip. I did not expect it to run so much  better, but it was a nice surprise.   Might do the same to the snowblower. 

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2022, 06:07:32 pm »
The weather has been crap here for the last few weekends, and so I've spent more time sitting on my butt than riding my bikes, which is annoying. The Queen snuffed it a couple of weeks ago and for some reason we all got a public holiday on Thursday, and being that I live in Melbourne I also got Friday off due to the Australian Rules Football Grand Final on Saturday.

As I was on a roll I decided to take today (Monday) off as well, so it's been a pretty good long weekend. the weather was good on two out of the 4 days, so I got two good 100+ mile roads in, and did some quality work on my Z1 on Saturday. Today I'm taking my wife and mother in law out for lunch at our favourite bistro, so all in all it's been a good long weekend. ;D

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2022, 02:30:57 pm »
The weather has been crap here for the last few weekends, and so I've spent more time sitting on my butt than riding my bikes, which is annoying. The Queen snuffed it a couple of weeks ago and for some reason we all got a public holiday on Thursday, and being that I live in Melbourne I also got Friday off due to the Australian Rules Football Grand Final on Saturday.

As I was on a roll I decided to take today (Monday) off as well, so it's been a pretty good long weekend. the weather was good on two out of the 4 days, so I got two good 100+ mile roads in, and did some quality work on my Z1 on Saturday. Today I'm taking my wife and mother in law out for lunch at our favourite bistro, so all in all it's been a good long weekend. ;D

Terry..... my wife is competing in the International Dragon Boat Festival, April 2023, New Zealand. I’m going to tag along.  May head your way!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2022, 05:46:41 pm »

Terry..... my wife is competing in the International Dragon Boat Festival, April 2023, New Zealand. I’m going to tag along.  May head your way!

Sounds good John, we might have to catch up for a meal somewhere. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2022, 01:11:55 pm »
 My middle daughter posted a text that her Hubby was cutting pipe for handrails on their new deck and the smell of cut metal reminded her of wonderful times when she was small and would be playing and riding trikes in the driveway when I was building Hot Rods in the garage. Her two sisters chimed in, and both said they like that reminder too. The older one said her hubby comes home smelling like metal fab sometimes and she likes it.
 It's good to be reminded they have fond memories of those times.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Online Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2022, 05:18:56 pm »
That's awesome  8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre