Author Topic: Total Seal VS Hastings rings. 70mm race pistons  (Read 587 times)

Offline gschuld

• Master
Total Seal VS Hastings rings. 70mm race pistons
« on: May 17, 2022, 12:08:27 pm »
So we have 70mm 12.5:1 pistons (with old school 1.5 1.5 2.8 ring grooves) getting ready to go together for a road race engine.

I was able to locate a set of Total Seal rings (C70MM) and a set of traditional Hastings ductile iron/chrome rings.

https://www.totalseal.com/rings/gapless-rings

I have both sets coming.  Old style Hastings rings are the common source, used quite a bit.  I have never used Total Seal rings.  I’m open to use either.  I assume Total Seal rings theoretically reduce the leakage loss from the gaps in standard rings.  Potentially offering a modest reduction in blow by/performance increase.  Any experience, opinions, or suggestions I’m all ears.

I know a road racer who swears by standard top and oil ring, but total seal
2nd ring.

George

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 01:11:46 pm by gschuld »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Total Seal VS Hastings rings. 70mm race pistons
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:11:20 pm »
Ive heard of possible ring flutter at high speeds  BUT I am pretty sure that was with the original. The rings they show on the website look different.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
Re: Total Seal VS Hastings rings. 70mm race pistons
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 08:57:17 pm »
Ive heard of possible ring flutter at high speeds  BUT I am pretty sure that was with the original. The rings they show on the website look different.

Exactly…
Or at least it’s the trend now…

If pressure balanced is the true cause of ring flutter, then I think the Total Seal second ring may aggravate it..
Below 8,000 rpms I’m not sure if the apps I’ve seen them used in ever experience ring flutter…?
Valve float from broken $arts, yep…

I used the  Total Seal second rings with the old TRW “Ramco” top ring and standard tension oil rings with good results..
Giving up the second TRW ring of the double moly set was hard though. Back then the double moly were forgiving when tightening up ring end gaps too much…

We used them in Naturally  Aspirated and Blower Applications. Never a turbo charged app but I don’t think I’d be scared to..
The Max Effort application was a 496 BBC with Teflon sealed rotors 10-71 Mooneyham, big big Brodie’s, big Crane, as much compression as you could find,  pan-a-vac, vertex mag etc. The Total Seal is the only way I’ve seen to get less than 1% leak down on a big bore BBC. At 33 psig with good air everything else will sweep the street with blow-by…

Longevity wise , Total Seal second rings still doing the job in a S10 with a 355 SBC still running @ 430,000 miles, broken frame…Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons, DART Sp2 64cc , Crane flat tappet, Crane Valve Springs, Crane rockers, Oliver rods, Callie’s  4130 arm, GM Delco Morraine 400 bearings..the second ring groove in the high nickel block was as deep,as the top’s..

Edit: Perhaps like your road racer, I wouldn’t use low tension oil rings in naturally aspirated gasoline apps. Especially if your right there at the detonation threshold.  I’ve never seen one that wasn’t an oil burner…
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:03:11 pm by Tracksnblades1 »
Age Quod Agis