testy

Author Topic: Am I Too Impatient?  (Read 1950 times)

iamnotacowboy

Am I Too Impatient?
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:58:55 pm »
I tried searching for this for a while, but I can't find a previous thread.  That could just mean that I am too impatient and/or too inexperienced with the search function, but I have to know the answer.  Sooo I have my new 1976 CB550, and I am LOVING it.  One of the main things I want to accomplish with this bike is to work on it myself.  I may wait a bit to do an engine rebuild (although that sounds fun), but I would at least like to fix MOST things and do normal maintenance and tuneups.  So that brings us to my question.  What tools should I buy?  I did acquire a Honda Service manual, and there is a whole list of tools.  These things look kinda of strange to me, but if they are necessary I will pick them up.  I am in need of a complete tune up sooo the tools required for that will be purchased first.  So that's pretty much it.  What tools do I need?  Where do you buy these strange things?  BTW, I'm young, a total noob, inexperienced, overconfident, cocky, overambitious, and totally clueless.    ???

Offline jreich

• Enthusiast
Re: Am I Too Impatient?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:03:11 pm »
Check out: http://www.dansmc.com/tools.htm

The rest of his site is great as well

Offline jreich

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:04:13 pm »
Don't you just love this...newbies helping newbies.....

Offline Stu400

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 02:09:46 pm »
decent socket set metric and imperial (rusted nuts change size :o)
allen (hex) keys
circlip pliers
if the bike is old and crusty, a nut splitter and stud remover.
Ill leave now too much innuendo ;D

kettlesd

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:55 pm »
Well welcome aboard.

Your manual lists many of the important things. Remember that you should buy the best quality you can afford. For general maintenance you'll need the following "must-have's". You can (will) add to your kit as skills, knowledge and ambition increase:

- first and foremost the SOHC forum FAQ's and Search tools. There's some pretty sharp folks around here. HondaMan, TwoTired, Mrieck, Eldar - Master of the K8 Thunder are all very knowledgeable resources - just to name a very, very few.
 - your manual for your model year
 - Good metric 3/8 socket set - preferably 6-point sockets.
 - Good quality set of metric wrenches,
 - quality screwdrivers, pliers
 - hand-held impact driver and bits
 - tire gauge
 - Spark-plug gap gauge
 - feeler gauges
 - soft faced hammer
 - timing light
 - test light & multi-meter
 - battery trickle charger
 - soldering gun
 - compression gauge,
 - emery paper / dielectric grease to clean the inevitable dirty connections

Also under the general maintenance category is a carburetor syncro tool - your gonna need it sooner or later!

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:29:03 pm »
I suggest you also get a supply of Valium and or hard Liqour.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline gerhed

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:41:08 pm »
--Try getting obsessed.
You can get a lot more done that way.
Rides: 75 CB750F, 48 Indian Chief, 67 Triumph TR6, 63Honda CA95
          83 XL600R in CB360 Frame
          3-wheel electric tilting cycle

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:30:50 pm »
welcome

impact driver, torque wrench, a good plug wrench, multi tester or at least a test light,  soldering iron. heat shrink tubing

it begins...

hym
"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline kine8282

• Enthusiast
  • "Ceteris paribus, my modis operandi is carpe diem"
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 04:44:09 pm »
All the tools said above as well as a file - for that occassional stripped bolt like the oil filter bolt. Also an understanding family, friends, GF or wifie...you wont see them for awhile

You guys should changed this site to SOHC Addicts Anonymous...i should be working right now
1975 CB550K aka "Nefertiti"
1978 CB750K aka "Kate"

iamnotacowboy

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 04:56:16 pm »
looks like i'm well on my way!!!  i have a good socket set, plenty of hard liquor, and sore eye balls from researching constantly.  now i'm just trying not to get ahead of myself and get another bike!!!  regarding the candy garnet brown...i was pleasantly surprised at how well the paint held up....it is original....but i sorta want to leave it in the sun and watch it change colors....that sounds fun!!!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 06:55:37 pm »
Of everything mentioned above......#1 should be the impact driver. Get rid of the phillips screws and buy a set of hex head (Allens) screws. An 18mm deep 6 point socket for getting your spark plugs out(along with this.....a universal joint and extensions). What you see in the manuals that look strange are mostly specialty tools that can be bought on an as needed basis.Test lights,volt meter, are good to have.And finally......if you are serious about doing your own work......the carb synch tool is a must have.One or two visits to the dealership to have your carbs synched will cost the same or more than buying the tool itself. Then you have it to do your bike (or others) any time you want.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:41:19 pm »
=
Candy Garnet Brown huh?  That color looks nice when the paint is fresh but as it starts to fade, forget about it.  But if you leave it out in the sun long enough it begins to turn into Candy Jade Green from what Ive seen! ;)  Nice lookin bike from what I can see!

The top of my tank is just that color...I always wondered what it was called...now I know... Candy Jade Green. :D
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

iamnotacowboy

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 08:49:45 pm »
Of everything mentioned above......#1 should be the impact driver. Get rid of the Phillips screws and buy a set of hex head (Allens) screws.

My bike is all original (except for pipes....for now), is there any negative to changing to the hex head screws and what are the advantages?  I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter very much.  And if I wanted to be really anal, I could just save my Phillips head screws. 

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 08:52:41 pm »
The phillips head screws tend to strip easily.  No real harm in replacing them with hex.
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

iamnotacowboy

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 08:57:54 pm »
The phillips head screws tend to strip easily.  No real harm in replacing them with hex.

Excellent....I will probably do that.....I bet they look better anyway.

Zane

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 08:58:11 pm »
There are a lot of good suggestions and referrals above, in answer to your question.  I'll add a few of my own.

I'm big on good parts lists, for two compelling reasons;

1) I find the pictures extremely helpful, and for me they are an indispensable adjunct to the service manual

and

2) sourcing and buying either new or used parts for my 31 year old motorcycle.  With new parts, the folks at my local dealership appreciate me coming to them with part numbers in hand.  With used parts, on Ebay mainly, I often find it helpful to have renderings and part numbers.

Suggestions which have been made, that I agree with are a decent impact driver and a volt meter.  (The voltmeter should be capable of doing a continuity test/measuring resistance.)  I have two torque wrenches because i couldn't find a single wrench in my price range, that covered the range of torques I need it to cover.

It ould be nice if you had a deep socket set, but really, I think you only truly need a couple of deep sockets.  (I do fine with a 22mm and an 18 mm.)

If you plan on sticking with points for a while, buy a gap thingy and a little buzzer for setting the ignition timing.  If you've got the dough, and you still want to stick with points (for a while at least) and you're interested in actually understanding the ignition system, read Mike Nixon's  http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/sohcign.html  and then buy a dwell meter and a stroboscopic timing light.

I'd buy some good hand cleaner too.

Good luck with it all ......

Cheers,

Zane

Zane

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:01:52 pm »
Of everything mentioned above......#1 should be the impact driver. Get rid of the Phillips screws and buy a set of hex head (Allens) screws.

My bike is all original (except for pipes....for now), is there any negative to changing to the hex head screws and what are the advantages?  I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter very much.  And if I wanted to be really anal, I could just save my Phillips head screws. 
The only real reason is because the phillips are real easy to strip out.Its OK to keep them and have an impact driver in the garage to service your bike but if you break down on the road and wanted to remove a cover for some reason or another.....well unless you pack an impact driver and hammer with your "road" tools,you will more than likely be SOL!!!! On the other hand,an allen wrench takes up very little room!!!! Now if this were a show bike or something, you would want to keep the phillips heads in there.
MEMBER # 257

Offline MrZxp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 09:09:43 pm »
and then buy a dwell meter and a stroboscopic timing light.

Good advice  - my 750 has never run better after application of these two tools... and, at the end of it all, a carb synch with your favourite carb synching tool is a final flourish!  ;D

I use and recommend the Morgan CarbTune. Great tool!

Cheers, Phil
09 Boulevard M90
SOHC4 Member #3336

Offline starion88esir

• Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 09:25:51 pm »

Any suggestion on good quality sets? I'm leary of the sets offered on ebay.
71 CB175 - next project
76 CB750F - current project

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 09:29:30 pm »

I got mine on ebay from a guy in Canada.....thunderbolts. The set is like $23 + $6 more for shipping (It is a "Buy it now" deal). I was very satisfied .
MEMBER # 257

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 04:16:03 am »

I got mine on ebay from a guy in Canada.....thunderbolts. The set is like $23 + $6 more for shipping (It is a "Buy it now" deal). I was very satisfied .

One of our members offers replacement sets.  I think everyone has had good experience with him.  Jim Spillane.  He's in the FAQ.
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

;
Honda