Author Topic: What did you do to your non-SOHC4 motorcycle today?  (Read 21029 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-SOHC4 motorcycle today?
« Reply #500 on: May 28, 2024, 01:20:40 pm »
Thanks guys, it turned (pun intended) out really nicely. Post a pic of your R75 Simon, I can’t remember the last time I saw one around here, apart from an old ratty one that belonged to an old guy I was chatting to a couple of weeks ago at the BMW wreckers, who’s owned his since the 80’s and has probably never washed it. He blew it up in the 90’s and installed an R100 engine and it also sounded like it could do with some maintenance. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #501 on: June 02, 2024, 01:19:13 am »
After getting some bad (expensive) news about some repairs required for my new (22 year old) truck to get thru it's roadworthy inspection, I remembered that I was gonna get my "Hindenburg" BMW K100RS to Jeff to do the Roadworthy Inspection so I can occasionally ride it to work. I'd received a replacement "stick on" mirror from England and I'd bought some used parts for it a few weeks ago including some footpeg assemblies, because new footpeg rubbers are quite expensive, so I installed them, and gave it a bit of a de-grease underneath. (not leaking any fluids, just coated with 40 years of road grime) 

I rode it over to Jeff's after buying an unregistered bike permit, and bumped into a mutual friend (who I need to contact again about a possible bike swap for one of my other bikes) so we just shot the sh1t while Jeff did all the checks, and gave me my new certificate. I rode it home again and took some shots to send to my club "Classic Plate" coordinator.

K100RS Roadworthy Sat 1 Jun 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The weather was cold and threatening rain so I didn't do any more riding, instead I dropped the oil out of the other BMW (with the blown engine) and removed the oil/water pump that I restored a couple of weeks ago. I took it over to Spotty's place today, and gave it a good cleaning, then installed it on the "new" engine I bought for it a couple of weeks ago, that Spotty and I cleaned up and painted last weekend.

K100RS Sunday 2 June 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

K100RS Sunday 2 June 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

On Friday I received another care package from Motobins (BMW parts dealer) in Britain, which included a clutch alignment tool. Spotty and I had carefully marked, removed, and cleaned the clutch in the "new" engine and measured the clutch plate, which was perfect, (better than the one in the white bike, which slipped occasionally) but needed the alignment tool like you do when installing a clutch in a proper rear wheel drive car. I probably could have machined one up, but for the equivalent of $10 USD, I couldn't see the point, and it held the clutch plate exactly where it needed to be while I torqued the clutch back together.

K100RS Sunday 2 June 2024 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Only around 3 hours work today, but it was both cold, and miserable, so we both thought we'd spent enough time on it. Next weekend we'll hook up the trailer and tow the white BMW over to Spotty's place to separate the engine/trans/rear wheel from the frame, remove the engine, and bolt up the new one. Hopefully, it'll start and run, and all will be right, with the world. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #502 on: June 02, 2024, 09:50:39 am »
well took the r75 for a ride today . it was a bit slower than i remembered and the four speed box could not be described as slick but it is a nice thing to ride . will keep it out and use it for the rest of the year , i do have a spare 1070 engine and a 5 speed box i could put in but maybe that would be missing the point .

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #503 on: June 02, 2024, 10:06:51 am »
That's a big toaster tank, kinda rare, nice R75
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #504 on: June 02, 2024, 01:17:31 pm »
Beautiful bike Simon, I’d stick with the 750 engine, my R100RS’ were probably faster but nowhere near as smooth. The R75 probably has the nicest engine of all of the airheads. The gearboxes were very agricultural, but hard to break. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #505 on: June 02, 2024, 06:07:47 pm »
well took the r75 for a ride today . it was a bit slower than i remembered and the four speed box could not be described as slick but it is a nice thing to ride . will keep it out and use it for the rest of the year , i do have a spare 1070 engine and a 5 speed box i could put in but maybe that would be missing the point .

A very reliable long distance machine.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #506 on: June 02, 2024, 06:15:45 pm »
Glad to see everyone is keeping busy.
I finally have a whole weekend off, work has been crazy for the past 2 months, I've only had 2 Saturdays off until now.
Yesterday I threw the battery back into my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and it fired right off like I'd ridden it that morning. Then I found cracks in the stock Pirelli front, 5600miles and a 2019 date code...
Today I spooned on a 4.10x18 Shinko 244. It fits great and looks the part. I'll get to the rear ASAP, it'll be a 5.10x18.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 06:21:08 pm by Alan F. »

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #507 on: June 02, 2024, 11:12:55 pm »
Installed a baja rons sway bar on the spyder,havent tested it yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #508 on: June 04, 2024, 03:38:08 pm »
I got the rear tire spooned on this afternoon it's a 5.10x18 replacing a 130/80-18

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #509 on: June 04, 2024, 04:01:21 pm »
I got the rear tire spooned on this afternoon it's a 5.10x18 replacing a 130/80-18

That’s a chunky looking tyre Alan, and should up your gearing somewhat, you’ll be idling down the highway like a Harley! ;D

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #510 on: June 04, 2024, 06:59:47 pm »
Yeah Terry it's huge and gnarly, if I can't find traction with these I'm riding in the wrong place. I'm wondering if I'll need the 21" front wheel just to level the bike off.

I've got some work scheduled for the next few days and there's a lot of rain in the forecast so it'll be a little while before I get this bolted back on and get some pictures, but I'm thinking it'll look alright.

Looks like you've been busy too.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #511 on: June 04, 2024, 10:29:50 pm »
Thanks mate, yep I almost wish I had just left my white BMW in the storage unit, so far I’ve bought another BMW (the “Hindenburg”) for the engine, then became too attached to it, so fixed it up as a daily rider, then bought another engine that looks good, so this weekend Spotty and I are going to pull the white bike apart, separate the dead engine from the gearbox and bolt up the “new” one. Hopefully it’ll be good and I will be able to get some use out of it, before I start thinning the herd, as I keep promising to do before I retire at the end of next year.

Spotty is hoping to buy a factory with living accommodation when he sells his house, and has offered me some space to park my excess bikes, so things might not be too drastic, I’ve discovered that selling bikes is a lot harder than buying them…… ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #512 on: June 05, 2024, 07:11:02 am »
I've got some work scheduled for the next few days and there's a lot of rain in the forecast...

Perfect to test out that new "monster mudder" tire!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #513 on: June 06, 2024, 02:12:38 pm »
Went for a short off-road ride on my RE Himilayan............dumped it twice on uphill steep loose rock and downhill deep ruts on a curve. Scratched my elbow and put a small hole in my well-worn riding jacket. Slight twist to the front-end was easily straightened. As an after-thought.........I should have lowered my tire pressure from pavement riding. Of special note is the increasing difficulty of picking up the bike at age 77 versus 2 or 3 years ago.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #514 on: June 06, 2024, 02:19:38 pm »
Thanks mate, yep I almost wish I had just left my white BMW in the storage unit, so far I’ve bought another BMW (the “Hindenburg”) for the engine, then became too attached to it, so fixed it up as a daily rider, then bought another engine that looks good, so this weekend Spotty and I are going to pull the white bike apart, separate the dead engine from the gearbox and bolt up the “new” one. Hopefully it’ll be good and I will be able to get some use out of it, before I start thinning the herd, as I keep promising to do before I retire at the end of next year.

Spotty is hoping to buy a factory with living accommodation when he sells his house, and has offered me some space to park my excess bikes, so things might not be too drastic, I’ve discovered that selling bikes is a lot harder than buying them…… ;D

You driving the BMW 'hindenburg' K100RS in to work Terry ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #515 on: June 06, 2024, 03:02:05 pm »

You driving the BMW 'hindenburg' K100RS in to work Terry ?

That’s the intention Bill. I have to mail the paperwork to the club plate coordinator for his signature and then take it to the DMV (Vicroads here) to get my red plate, then I’m legal. It’s got Oxfords heated grips that still work, so shouldn’t be too unpleasant on cold winter mornings. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #516 on: June 07, 2024, 07:14:09 am »
Rolled out the Kaw 500 out of the garage for a smoke...

It's been a couple months but started up relatively easy, but needs a tune up  [spark plugs], seems 1 is fouled and I havent changed them in a couple years.

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #517 on: June 07, 2024, 07:09:29 pm »
Shinko 244s all around, I calculate 11% lower gearing.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #518 on: June 07, 2024, 07:13:34 pm »

I calculate 11% higher gearing Alan! It’ll float along at 60 MPH now! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #519 on: June 07, 2024, 07:18:14 pm »
  I rode the GS to a local farm store to replenish my stash of Amzoil 2 stroke synthetic oil. I use it in my old gas tanks to keep rust at bay and protect the exhausts from inside.
  I also looked for a milwaukee 3/8" battery ratchet, but their tool stock looks like they are nearly bankrupt.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #520 on: June 07, 2024, 09:14:00 pm »
  I rode the GS to a local farm store to replenish my stash of Amzoil 2 stroke synthetic oil. I use it in my old gas tanks to keep rust at bay and protect the exhausts from inside.
  I also looked for a milwaukee 3/8" battery ratchet, but their tool stock looks like they are nearly bankrupt.

It seems like a lot of places don't have much in stock and they have to order it in, then they tack on shipping charges even though it comes in on the stock order. Some of the bike dealers around here do same now.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #521 on: June 07, 2024, 09:49:39 pm »

I calculate 11% higher gearing Alan! It’ll float along at 60 MPH now! ;D

I just need to get the tire pressures right, they're both at 35 psi and it feels very low.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2024, 10:39:28 am »
had to go to devon on saturday , took the r75 . ran perfect and did 580 miles . god the front brake is awful though .

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #523 on: June 09, 2024, 11:13:00 am »
I finally found enough energy to clean the bugs off the 94' Concours after last weeks road trip. Well most of them anyway. At least it was not full on bug season yet. I had a great time splattering bugs all over the bike but it's not nearly as fun cleaning them off. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2024, 04:54:25 am »
Well the weather was crap for the last couple of days so yesterday Spotty and I braved the cold and wet, and towed the blown up BMW over to his place.

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

It took the rest of the day to remove all of the ancillary items to get to separating the engine from the frame, but one thing I did notice when I removed the airbox, was another perforation in the crankcase, made by the conrod that spat it's bolt thru the crankcase cover. Ooops........

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyhoo, today we finally separated the engine and the gearbox from the frame, and separated the engine from gearbox which was surprisingly easy, apart from one recalcitrant bolt that didn't want to come off, and due to the end of the ball end hex key snapping off inside the bolt's head and not wanting to come out, I had to do a run to the hardware store to buy a decent cold chisel and a cool new vise grip tool.

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

We were further surprised that the "new" engine and the gearbox mated up and we had the "new" engine bolted up pretty quickly.

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

By this time it was mid afternoon and we were both knackered (remember when we could work on bikes all day and all night, then ride them to work the next day?) so we gave it the arse for the day, and we'll shove it back into the frame next weekend. I am happy that this engine doesn't have any custom ventilation and should (hopefully) be a good runner. ;D

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

BMW K100RS SE long weekend 9-10 June 2024 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr