Author Topic: What did you do to your non-SOHC4 motorcycle today?  (Read 20798 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-SOHC4 motorcycle today?
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2024, 11:24:08 pm »
Terry,you're doing those BMW's good  :)
What a nice thing to find a very good engine from the man's widow ?

not quite a widow yet, though from talking to the guy i think she'd like to be. he didn't even know she was selling his bike parts....

They weren't his bike parts either Spotty. She is selling them for another old guy who had them in his garage for years, but got moved into a nursing home so she emptied his garage, took it all to her place (where we collected it from) and is selling everything for him from her place, because the local drug addicts were breaking into his place and stealing everything. I'm not sure what her ex-husband's involvement is, but he wasn't in a good mood the first trip we did to their property to pick the engine up. I think he'd just decided that he owned it all.

I ordered a new oil/water pump shaft from England last night for the silver BMW, plus some exhaust gaskets and 2 new exhaust studs for the white BMW, as I'd forgotten to order them earlier. Another couple of weeks until those parts arrive, but in this weather not a biggie, it's just cold, wet and miserable for the next few days, although we're expecting a balmy 59 degrees on Sunday, so I might get a ride in, on something. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2024, 03:56:40 am »
Well Spotty and I finished putting the white BMW back together after swapping out the blown up engine with one I bought a few weeks ago. It starts and runs fine, and if it wasn't raining, I would have ridden it over to the storage place with Spotty following with the trailer to swap the BMW for my 1978 Kawasaki KZ750 twin that I was given a couple of months ago, so we can get it going and ready to sell. (maybe....)

Sadly the weather was crap, so we've delayed the bike swap until next weekend, as Spotty has a horrible task to do tomorrow over at his old house, that vaguely reminds me of Hitler's house, built into the side of a mountain, with a 45 degree (or steeper) driveway.

Hopefully the weather will be nicer tomorrow, and I'll take one of my other bikes for a ride. ;D

Bmw K100RS SE 20 July 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Bmw K100RS SE 20 July 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2024, 07:38:55 am »
I am envious of the lathe, if I had room..............
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #553 on: July 20, 2024, 09:32:48 am »
Terry,I'm glad to see your white and blue RS ready to ride;hope you can enjoy a good ride on it before putting it away in storage again.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #554 on: July 20, 2024, 01:16:09 pm »
Good news! I changed a few things on my leak testing setup and now the R5 has been holding a steady 4 psi for about 10 minutes. I can’t detect any movement in the needle. Time to move on to rebuilding the carbs and petcock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #555 on: July 20, 2024, 01:40:56 pm »
Good news! I changed a few things on my leak testing setup and now the R5 has been holding a steady 4 psi for about 10 minutes. I can’t detect any movement in the needle. Time to move on to rebuilding the carbs and petcock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice that you've got good crankshaft seals.  8)

Yamaha R5/R5C ?!!  :)  I had a couple RD350's when I was pre-20's and loved those things.
I installed a pr. of R5 heads(6.9 CR)and found a set of Torque Engineering chambers and rode it across country w/ lots of luggage on the rack.  ;D
 I always wanted a 74' with the nice maroon paint.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #556 on: July 20, 2024, 09:38:11 pm »
Finally got the body parts painted for my CL350. It was a long journey.
Put together the side covers this afternoon.
I want to shout out to FrankenFrankenstuff.
https://www.fb-stuff.com/

He made these covers for me in 2016 and it took until last year for me to start restoring my CL350 and finally until now to get the side covers painted.  ::)
Anyway, they look terrific!
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #557 on: July 21, 2024, 04:56:04 am »

Terry,I'm glad to see your white and blue RS ready to ride;hope you can enjoy a good ride on it before putting it away in storage again.

Thanks Steve, that's Spotty's lathe, mine is a huge one ton job with a 3 foot bed and 17 inch swing. Probably too big for what I do, but I swapped my restored CB350F for it in 1996 with my mate who owns a tool store. It was $5000 (retail) and he threw another $1000 worth of tooling, and so far it's been a great machine.

Bill, it's not going back into storage as in "Parked and forgotten", I park my bikes that are rideable at the storage place. I've got no intention of leaving it for another 10 years, I plan to ride it, often. Of course with the advent of the "Hindenburg" I probably have one too many BMW's, so I will sell one of them in the next year or so, as part of my "Thinning the herd" project prior to retirement. I'm just happy that it's going again, it was almost heart breaking when I realised I'd blown the engine, so it's nice to have it up and running again. ;D   

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #558 on: July 21, 2024, 07:42:02 am »
I think the herd breeds faster than it can be thinned!
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #559 on: July 21, 2024, 09:06:13 am »

Thanks Steve, that's Spotty's lathe, mine is a huge one ton job with a 3 foot bed and 17 inch swing. Probably too big for what I do, but I swapped my restored CB350F for it in 1996 with my mate who owns a tool store. It was $5000 (retail) and he threw another $1000 worth of tooling, and so far it's been a great machine.

Bill, it's not going back into storage as in "Parked and forgotten", I park my bikes that are rideable at the storage place. I've got no intention of leaving it for another 10 years, I plan to ride it, often. Of course with the advent of the "Hindenburg" I probably have one too many BMW's, so I will sell one of them in the next year or so, as part of my "Thinning the herd" project prior to retirement. I'm just happy that it's going again, it was almost heart breaking when I realised I'd blown the engine, so it's nice to have it up and running again. ;D

The two-tone paint RS SE is a very nice bike.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #560 on: July 21, 2024, 06:39:25 pm »
Thanks Steve, you’re right, I’m not doing very well at selling off the herd, so far this year I’ve sold two bikes outright, swapped 2 more, bought another one and was given the Kawasaki KZ750 twin. It’s the next job to get running and then I’ll decide whether to keep it or sell it. Oh well, better to have too many bikes, than not enough…… ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #561 on: July 22, 2024, 07:40:10 am »
Finally got the body parts painted for my CL350.

Beautiful paint Ranger, good to hear you found a painter [can be hard to do, must have something to do with them breathing the paint fumes!]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #562 on: July 22, 2024, 07:48:36 am »
My friend on Oahu does great work, takes a bit of time but worth the wait.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #563 on: July 22, 2024, 11:55:10 am »
took one of my puchs to spain for a couple of weeks . i should do this more often .

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #564 on: July 22, 2024, 12:24:56 pm »
I've never seen a Pook like that before. Is that a Sachs engine?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #565 on: July 22, 2024, 02:28:01 pm »
took one of my puchs to spain for a couple of weeks . i should do this more often .

What model/year;made in Austria ?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #566 on: July 22, 2024, 10:29:15 pm »
Ha!  Curious what the more modern bikes you are keepin up with are in that first picture!  Very impressive dedication to using vintage machinery as intended!
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #567 on: July 22, 2024, 11:58:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies

It’s a 1971 mx125 , it’s puchs own engine made in Austria . The other two bikes are an rmx 250 Suzuki and a kdx 220 Kawasaki there was also a ts 400 Suzuki from the early 70s not in the pictures .

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #568 on: July 23, 2024, 06:31:42 am »
Cool!  Big fan of the kdx200/220.  I have been riding single track on one for a few years now.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #569 on: July 23, 2024, 09:53:55 am »
yes that was the best bike we took , light with loads of low down power . much better on fuel than the suzuki as well which proved handy in the middle of nowhere 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #570 on: July 26, 2024, 07:47:46 pm »
 I got a divider box, a good light, a magnifier and sorted all of our Mikuni jets. I had some and my brother had some he had forgotten about from when he was a Kawasaki wrench.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #571 on: July 27, 2024, 03:32:49 am »
'Twas a truly poxy day today, cold and wet. Before it got wet I rode the white BMW K100RS SE with it's "new" engine home from Spotty's place, and we trailered the MZ 150 (horrible East German thing) back to Spotty's to do some work on it. I'd made a new inlet manifold to suit the PWK/PKM (whatever those Chinese flat slide knockoffs are called) carb, charged the battery yesterday, so gave it a few kicks, and away it went.

We didn't need to do much work on it today, so decided to do an autopsy on the dead BMW engine. See if you can spot the problem/s........

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Surprisingly the head and cams all looked fine. You can see a witness mark on that exhaust valve but it doesn't look bent, and the cams look like brand new.

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

We worked out what the crap was that caused all this when it blocked the oil pickup, paint! Yep, looks like the previous owner had taken the crank cover off and painted it, both outside and inside! What an idiot! Obviously it was doomed to failure from day one, but took 10 years of sitting for the oil to break down the paint and swirl it around the engine. Some peoples kids..........

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

BMW and MZ Saturday 27 July 2024 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyway, we harvested lots of good spares for my two BMW's that I'll probably never need, and discovered why it blew up. The white bike seems to be going fine, and as soon as I get a nice sunny day again I'll take it for a decent ride and blow out the cobwebs. ;D

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #572 on: July 27, 2024, 07:53:58 am »
Paint an oil pan, there's an idea worth forgetting!
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #573 on: July 27, 2024, 09:37:50 am »
 The race car guys used to paint the inside of V8's with that glyptol red primer looking paint, I always envisioned that happening. The possible downside is far greater than any advantage gained.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #574 on: July 27, 2024, 05:15:21 pm »
Yep, surprisingly I rode that bike for a year or so with no problems but leaving it for 9 years really made no difference, it would just have eventually blown up with that crap floating around the engines internals. We stripped all the covers off the replacement engine and it was as clean as a whistle inside, and then painted the outside of the engine only, so shouldn’t happen again.

These engines are really under stressed so should do hundreds of thousands of miles if people would just leave them alone. What surprised us was that there appears to be no damage to the head, cams etc, and if the nikasil coating in that one cylinder is OK, the original engine might only need a piston and conrod (and the case welded where the conrod tried to escape) and it would probably be fine to go back in. ;D