Author Topic: Differences in switch contacts  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
Differences in switch contacts
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:38:41 pm »
With the recent posts about replacement switch contact assemblies (PN 35101-422-007), I thought I would post some of the differences I noticed in the new parts. I don't have pictures of the new parts (the bike was stranded with a dead electrical system at a friend's house and I had to put the new contacts in to get it home- not about to rip the bike apart again just for a photo op..), but I noted the changes in the photos. (Not sure if this belongs in the Tech Forum, Tips & Tricks or FAQ...)

The base contacts are held in place by peening over the ends on the old-style base. These were working loose on mine. The new ones are soldered in addition to being peened. This ensures a tight connection:

The rotating portion has had additional ribbing added to stiffen it so it won't warp against the pressure from the contact springs:

Hope this is helpful.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:42:40 am by Jonesy »
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Differences in switch contacts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:06:47 pm »
Thanks Jonesy, good info. I've got a new OEM part waiting to be changed, I'll have to check to see if it's the new & improved one.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:09:12 am »
Thanks Jonesy, good info. I've got a new OEM part waiting to be changed, I'll have to check to see if it's the new & improved one.

If it is, would you mind snagging a few pics of it? That way I can put them up as a comparison.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:06 am »
Looks like I've got the upgrade.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:40:20 am »
THANKS!!!  :)

My memory was a bit fuzzy as to which terminals were soldered (the ones carrying main battery power). And, I forgot about the raised ribs on the tops of the bosses that hold the terminals inside. These push against the metal key tumbler housing, keeping them from creeping upwards and unloading the contacts.

(Also, thanks for showing the part number... I posted the # for the plastic cover, instead of the contact set!)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:43:23 am by Jonesy »