Author Topic: Tank Paint Repair help  (Read 387 times)

Offline kurtkarram

Tank Paint Repair help
« on: August 13, 2022, 07:57:27 am »
1973 cb500 candy brown. I am doing some paint repair on the black part. The paint was peeling around the logo. I sanded down that small area to bare metal, bondo on the low spots, sanded smooth, and primed in that area. I used a duplicolor black on the area and wetsanded. I either sanded too much or my layers were not thick enough, but I went through to metal on one of my respray parts. Also, the black doesn't exactly match when it's dry, you can see the transition lines even after I wetsanded. When I wipe it down with a liquid it matches, so I'm sure if clearcoat would fix that.

Anyway, I think the best option is for me to tape off the entire pinstripe and respray the whole black area. Do I have to primer the entire area? Should I redo and reprime the part where I went to bare metal? Or can I just sand the entire area with 800 grit and spray over?

I'm planning on clearing the entire tank with 2k. I have read some forums. After I spray, I'm going to 800 wetsand the black area and the rest of the tank and clear coat.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: Tank Paint Repair help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 08:39:04 am »
 If the first repair paint seemed compatible You might be able to just prime the bare spot and paint over. A primer sealer would be insurance that you don't get a reaction between layers. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Kevnz

• Hot Shot
Re: Tank Paint Repair help
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 06:02:59 pm »
I would respray the black after spot primering the bare metal. Make sure to blend the repair smoothly into the existing paint or it will show up. Depending on how good the brown is, you could clearcoat the whole thing ( probably preferrable) or just the black.
Good grammar: The difference between knowing your #$%* and knowing you're #$%*