Author Topic: All a matter of taste  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
All a matter of taste
« on: August 28, 2022, 07:53:41 am »
When I moved house in 1985, I left the bike's original grabrail behind. In those years I used to travel a lot and almost from the beginning I had the luggage carrier on. I reckoned I would never mount that BUMPER, REAR in Hondaspeak again. Later I've cursed myself for this and I was happy to learn an excellent repro is available. Italian made, it's better quality than the original. Since my bike has been so reliable for 42 years, I thought it would be a nice idea to reward it with something that would bring back its former elegancy.
For practical reasons the luggage carrier is on standby. I have to loosen and fasten no more than four bolts, connect two wires and I'm ready to go on a holiday trip again the way I used to.
Also I've removed all amber plastic, like indicators and side reflectors but - not insensitive to the idea of keeping its original looks as much as possible - I have replaced them by parts used in other markets. So the rear indicators now have red and those in the front have clear lenses. The showboat side reflectors are not mandatory by law and are replaced by the modest crossheads my model for France had (CMSNL cannot be praised enough to have even these in their program). I realise it's all a matter of taste, but IMO the reduction of unnecessary colourful attention-drawing details, makes the bike more stylish, destinct, austere, whatever.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 08:18:00 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
Re: All a matter of taste
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 08:12:57 am »
I think that's a great looking bike. I used clear lenses on my K3 with amber bulbs (have to be amber here). I like your "fewer colors" scheme, really lets the bike shine.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:20:59 am »
For safety, I've chosen bulbs that flash amber, but extinct look neutral.
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 08:23:11 am »
It does look much nicer without the rack. Are those horns aftermarket /louder?
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 09:52:45 am »
I fitted them some 30 years ago. These Voxbell horns are a true classic and were standard in the 50s and 60s on many Lancia's and Alfa Romeo's. Moto Guzzi also had them. It has a wonderful sound (115dB). I would describe the sound as 'class and distinction'. The set draws 10A, so you need a relay and a separate 15A fuse. When I bought them, they were quite cheap. They have this nice sound you would hear on Alpine roads. Looks nice too. They were quite easy to fit once I had bent two brackets myself. They are a joy and I feel much safer.
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline david 750f

• Expert
  • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 10:09:29 am »
Very nice bike Delta, you've had that bike a long time. Did you buy it new?
1976 CB 750F

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 12:04:04 pm »
Bike was first registered in February 1977. I bought it April 1980, more or less pushed by my girlfriend who herself owned a CB350F. She had threathened I had to sit behind her our next trip to Greece. I believe I was the second or third owner. At that particular time I had not yet a license to ride a bike, so she had to do the testride. Her comment when she returned: if you don't buy it, I will. Also she had to ride it home where the bike sat for two weeks and then I finally got a learners permit which in those days allowed you to exercise riding within the municipality. Two months later was the test. Luckily I passed and a week later we were on our way. Belgium, France, Italy, Greece and back through Italy, Switzerland, Germany. All in six weeks and 10.000km. Wonderful trip.
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Quattrocilindri

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 02:41:25 pm »
I have always considered the CB 500 the ideal middleweight bike; not too big or heavy, not too small. In the '70s, it was considered to be a BIG bike.
And I like all the mods you made, except one: the red rear turn signal lenses. As I remember, in the UK they were not allowed, and had to be amber, ostensibly so that, when lit, they would not be confused with brake lights.

Also, amber is better seen in foggy conditions, where it is critical being seen from the rear; here in the US, many model cars have red turn signal lenses, and, their worst application is when that bulb works in combination with the brake light. If the bulb burns out, you loose both the stop lamp and the turn signal on that side. Thankfully, the overwhelming majority of motorcycles don't have this feature, except some late model Harley Sportsters.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 05:28:00 pm »
Looks like the tree leaves have been falling a little there. Cherry and some other early ones here are dropping some also right now in late summer. Looks like a neat spot with the canal and boats etc.. Always like those long ownership stories.

Offline Kevnz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 06:29:50 pm »
Is that the original paint? Looks like Freedom Green, which I thought was a 1974 only colour, so would have had the earlier stripes, similar in shape to the 500. Best of the SOHC fours?
Good grammar: The difference between knowing your #$%* and knowing you're #$%*

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 06:34:52 pm »
Delta,do you miss having the rear luggage rack for when you take long rides,or possibly having side luggage bags when going to the store ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 04:25:04 am »
I have always considered the CB 500 the ideal middleweight bike; not too big or heavy, not too small. In the '70s, it was considered to be a BIG bike.
I agree. It's all about the weight/performance ratio. 50HP is plenty for me. IIRC the CB500 was the first 4stroke production bike that touched the 100HP/liter line, be it the HP in SAE and not in DIN ;). Also I don't want my bike to weigh more than 200 kilo's.
And I like all the mods you made, except one: the red rear turn signal lenses. As I remember, in the UK they were not allowed, and had to be amber, ostensibly so that, when lit, they would not be confused with brake lights. Also, amber is better seen in foggy conditions, where it is critical being seen from the rear; here in the US, many model cars have red turn signal lenses, and, their worst application is when that bulb works in combination with the brake light.
You're spot on and I agree. Amber flashing indicators are better noticed. My front indicators still flash amber, but extinct they're modestly neutral. I choose red lenses in the rear because I dislike amber. I always associate that color with cheap toys or scooters at a fairground. It would have been nice if they, in spite of their red appearance, would also flash amber, but I don't know how to realise that.
@Ekpent. Lots of leaves which is exceptional. We had a very dry summer.
@Kevnz Paint on mine is original. It's called Excel Black (NH-57). Yours in the pic is beautiful.
My model, the CB500K2-ED, aka CB500K2 GENERAL EXPORT was the last of the oldstyle CB500s. Assembled in 1976, it shares many parts with the CB550K2. If you study the parts list, you will see some parts underwent modification: gearbox (minor though), clutch adjuster, frontlegs, swingarm etc. Bike has done almost 140.000km. So far I didn't have to replace any fork seals, probably thanks to the harmonica rubbers. I've renewed the damper oil no more than 4 times max. I see no reason why you would do it more frequently. Clutch adjuster greased no more than two times, swing arm maybe 4 times, that is if I did manage to press it in >:(. If I didn't, it's been less ;). Still no sign of wear. I have 4 new rubber boots (carb-head) ready in their packages, but I have no indication the originals leak. I change the oil every 3000-5000km* or every two years, which ever comes first. I don't do short rides. Oilfilter every second oilchange. Oil is not specified as JASO-MA. Actually, it's right on the edge. Never had the clutch slip. Clutch springs and friction plates were at the end of their lifespan at 75.000km and were replaced by genuine Honda parts. Most disappointing part however has been the camchain and its adjuster. I never seem able to do more than 50k with it. Costly! Primary chain has play, but I see no reason to replace. I know of someone who's bike at 220.000 km still had the original chain in. Front wheel bearings are still original, those in the rear have been renewed. Also I needed to replace the drive flange for a good second hand one. This because of the use of a socalled steamwasher which had removed essential grease. Don't use pressurized water! Splines of the kick arm shaft are worn. I think I've found the root cause and hope to publish on this soon.
Although the original rear shocks (5-stage on this model like the CB550K2) were not as bad as many say, I've replaced them nonetheless @ 50.000 by Dutch quality Koni's. They still serve well.
@Grcamna2 See OP, you may also be interested in reading: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,188492.msg2188254.html#msg2188254 and http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,188492.msg2188271.html#msg2188271 I hope to publish more on the subject soon.
*The latter on holiday trips.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:56:05 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 07:25:04 am »
Delta,I remember that nice rack you had on your CB500 and always wondered what type of bags were meant to fit that style rack?
I have a set of BMW side racks on my Honda which I install an old pair of Krauser 'starlet' hardbags which buckle onto the rack(I do also use a bungee cord around each one for security:I don't want to lose the full bag while underway)and they serve me well,although certainly not waterproof.
I like the leather soft bags you have and can see how you may enjoy there function while on a journey;they look very durable.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 07:27:50 am by grcamna2 »

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 11:54:45 am »
It's all about taste, but I strongly advise against hard cases as shown below. You see them more and more. I don't know what bikers want these and why they didn't buy a car?
Top cases are only good for up to 90 km/h. You see them a lot in the UK. In cities they're OK, but still I find them horrible.
Hard cases can cause a lot of damage and repair can be costly. The repair of a few leather straps on my bags have cost zero.
On Autobahns these cases as shown below will affect handling seriously. Worst of all: the rear is wider than where your hands are at the handlebars. This should NEVER be the case! Imagine you in Italy in one of these characteristic alleys in medieval towns. Your radar/senses is/are in your hands. Where your hands resting at the handlebars can pass, your bike can pass, right? You can't go wrong. Not so with these wide cases as shown below. They're outright dangerous.  They're ugly, costly and are easy damaged. Why turn your bike into a car on two wheels?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:01:07 pm by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 12:15:32 pm »
 I've always been a fan of bolt on modifications that can be undone. That said, I'm wanting something totally customized next.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 I smell like Lilacs, I've got glitter on my cheeks and it's all Joe's fault, he told the stripper it was my birthday.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 01:34:41 pm »
I've always been a fan of bolt on modifications that can be undone. That said, I'm wanting something totally customized next.
Me too. As far as packing, be inspired by the lonesome cowboy packing his mule before riding out in the sunset. Freedom and adventure is what you want. Not some car on two wheels. Leather, canvas and what have you are very forgiving materials and - when needed - can be repaired easily. Try to dent out aluminum to its original form after you have hit something. ;D 
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 01:35:29 pm »
It's all about taste, but I strongly advise against hard cases as shown below. You see them more and more. I don't know what bikers want these and why they didn't buy a car?
Top cases are only good for up to 90 km/h. You see them a lot in the UK. In cities they're OK, but still I find them horrible.
Hard cases can cause a lot of damage and repair can be costly. The repair of a few leather straps on my bags have cost zero.
On Autobahns these cases as shown below will affect handling seriously. Worst of all: the rear is wider than where your hands are at the handlebars. This should NEVER be the case! Imagine you in Italy in one of these characteristic alleys in medieval towns. Your radar/senses is/are in your hands. Where your hands resting at the handlebars can pass, your bike can pass, right? You can't go wrong. Not so with these wide cases as shown below. They're outright dangerous.  They're ugly, costly and are easy damaged. Why turn your bike into a car on two wheels?

The problem with large cases,from what I have experienced:they catch many gusts of wind and throw the bike around.
I won't have a top case/box.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 06:15:28 pm »
Both my 84' Honda Sabre 700 and 94' Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours have factory saddlebags and don't affect the handling of the bike. Tail trunks always mess with the handling of the bike and I'll never use one. Instead I have a tunnel bag that fits on the passenger section of the seat. I can fit a week plus of clothes in it and it doubles as a backrest. Here's the Concours loaded up for a two week camping trip with a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag and a folding camp chair all attached to the external D rings on the tunnel bag. No problem with the handling at high speed.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2022, 10:31:03 pm »
Good lord, I wonder why you need all that stuff. Is there a jacuzi in there? For me travelling is: leaving it all behind... With that amount, I'd seriously consider a Freebird. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,45464.msg475439.html#msg475439
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:52:39 pm by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2022, 03:59:58 am »

Simply not true about 90km/h affecting handling. I have a topcase on my VStrom for the last 12 years and never a handling issue at speeds up to 100mph. Similar story with my CB750K4 with a Pelican top case. You may not like them but they are wonderfully functional.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Quattrocilindri

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2022, 04:19:44 am »
Me too. As far as packing, be inspired by the lonesome cowboy packing his mule before riding out in the sunset. Freedom and adventure is what you want. Not some car on two wheels. Leather, canvas and what have you are very forgiving materials and - when needed - can be repaired easily. Try to dent out aluminum to its original form after you have hit something. ;D

Something like this?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2022, 04:39:55 am »
Andy, sensitivity for unrest in handling may vary. I remember a story by a mechanic at a Suzuki dealer. At first nor he nor his collegues were able to detect the cause of unrest in the handling @ 160km/h. Turned out to be the aftermarket rack without anything on it. Just the rack alone was enough! I had a practical topcase on my Goldwing GL1100D Interstate, but that was a car on 2 wheels ofcourse.
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 01:53:57 pm »
Good lord, I wonder why you need all that stuff. Is there a jacuzi in there? For me travelling is: leaving it all behind... With that amount, I'd seriously consider a Freebird. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,45464.msg475439.html#msg475439

I don't need a trailer. It looks big but it's all the lightweight stuff and it was a two week trip. All of the camping gear weighs a lot less than the passenger. What do you do, get off and lay down next to the bike in the dirt, been there done that. I'm 63yo with a broken up back and stage 4 cancer, it's nice to have some comfort like a good sleeping pad, bag and a tent to keep the bugs off. Most of the time these days we have a room reserved for every night's stop on the trip. Then I can fit everything in the stock saddlebags. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2022, 02:14:20 pm »
Nice pack out. Enjoy it the way you like it.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2022, 03:24:41 pm »
Andy, sensitivity for unrest in handling may vary. I remember a story by a mechanic at a Suzuki dealer. At first nor he nor his collegues were able to detect the cause of unrest in the handling @ 160km/h. Turned out to be the aftermarket rack without anything on it. Just the rack alone was enough! I had a practical topcase on my Goldwing GL1100D Interstate, but that was a car on 2 wheels ofcourse.

I've heard people call Gold Wings a 'Winnebago' on 2 wheels  :D