Author Topic: Crane AU RPM and U RPM cam specs  (Read 527 times)

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
Crane AU RPM and U RPM cam specs
« on: September 07, 2022, 11:27:14 am »
I have a couple cams thati can't find info on.

One is marked Crane AU RPM. Under the washer it's marked G3982 J2344

The other is Crane U RPM with H1061 underthe washer. Both look to be stamped over other info.

I attached a few pictures.  I'd like to find the specs on them. This forum had some cards for other Crane cams, but I haven't run across any other info for Crane cams made for cb750s.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I tried measuring the lift, but got numbers lower than stock with my calipers. The lobe might be so wide I can't get a good measurement of the base circle.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Offline corky

Re: Crane AU RPM and U RPM cam specs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 08:47:28 pm »
Hi there,
I emailed my Crane cam card expert (who works at Crane cam) and he didn't have anything in the database with those codes. I'm thinking that is truly a one off cam grind.

Sorry I didn't have some better information!
Thanks,
Daniel

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 09:09:42 pm »
Hey Daniel, would your expert know the specs of a Crane Fireball cam for a big-block Mopar? I seem to remember it had an advertised duration of 29x degrees, but nothing else like lift or the actual timing; I don't think it even came with a card...

Sorry about the thread-jack, Grimace..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:16:50 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline corky

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 07:23:08 am »
Hey Scott,

Here are the specs for the only Fireball cam they made for a big block mopar with a single bolt cam.  He said if it is a 3 bolt cam he will need some numbers off of the cam.  It looks like it matches your guess on the advertised duration!

Thanks,
Daniel

Offline Turbogrimace

• Hot Shot
    • Draft Cycle Works
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 10:49:21 am »
Corky. Theres two of them. Labeled slightly differently. Perhaps they're custom regrinds from a larger off the shelf cam?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 08:11:42 pm »
Thanks to you and your friend Daniel! That is the cam I had back in the early '70s in a 413, mounted mid-engine in a VW bus. ;D The lift sure seems low, but I guess the thought back then was to keep the lift low to reduce the stress on the valve-train and make up for it by increasing the duration?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....