Author Topic: CB550F SS Exhaust  (Read 324 times)

Offline Gary in NJ

CB550F SS Exhaust
« on: September 28, 2022, 07:06:28 am »
I’m starting a CB550F restoration project. It should be a fairly straightforward project, but the one area that I have concerns is the exhaust. The pipes on the Super Sport are in many ways the defining feature of the bike, and mine need some work. Check out the photos below. The previous owner cut off the collector (why?). I’m going to have to bring the pipes to a shop to have a new collector fabricated. Here are my questions;

- What is the correct size of the outlet pipe that connects to the muffler? What is the length?
- Does an aftermarket collector exist that can be welded to my pipes?
- Does anyone have a trashed set of pipes from which I could salvage the collector?

After the pipes are repaired and welded, I will send them to Jet-Hot to have them polished coated.
‘76 CB550F Super Sport
Also in the garage; ‘98 Ducati ST2, ‘05 Yamaha FZ6N, ‘81 CB900, LS650 based Cafe Racer, DRZ400 based Street Tracker
Currently restoring ‘81 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: CB550F SS Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:00 am »
Hey Gary...I have a 550F and agree, the exhaust system is the defining feature and it is what drew me to buying one [actually three]

While I dont have the measurements you need, the collector has a cover over it that limits me to what I can see/measure.  There are collectors on the market that you may be able to use...

https://www.coneeng.com/collector_components.html

Alternatively, I would search for a complete header, I see them on eBay occasionally.
Post a thread in the parts wanted area, one of us may have one?

What do you plan to use as a muffler?

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gary in NJ

Re: CB550F SS Exhaust
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 07:46:05 am »
Thanks for the reply Stev-O. I actually have the original collector cover and muffler. So I guess I could grab the ID of the muffler to determine the correct OD of the collector outlet. It’s just the length and shape I’m in need of (I assume it’s a straight run). I’ve looked at photos of the correct placement and I guess I could infer the length from there. Although, in those photos I assume I’m actually looking at the collector cover.

Thanks for the link to the pre-formed collectors. That might be the way I go.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:49:31 am by Gary in NJ »
‘76 CB550F Super Sport
Also in the garage; ‘98 Ducati ST2, ‘05 Yamaha FZ6N, ‘81 CB900, LS650 based Cafe Racer, DRZ400 based Street Tracker
Currently restoring ‘81 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza