Author Topic: Manufacturers Cup race- Valdosta. Nov. 16-20  (Read 2643 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Manufacturers Cup race- Valdosta. Nov. 16-20
« on: November 07, 2022, 10:35:54 pm »
Okay, here's are my annual questions for the forum: 1)Is anyone planning to att5tend this event.?? 2) Who plans to actually compete on an SOHC or other bike??

Hopefully we will arrive late Friday night and get to the dragstrip first thing Saturday to make 2nd round of time trials/qualifying runs. It's unfortunate for us they're doing first round time runs in all classes Friday evening. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will fall in place with the single time run plus the 1st round auto buyback into 2nd round. Right now my plan is to run street ET on the F3, pro ET on my top sportsman bike and the 9.50 index class on my small tire Kaw dragbike. The wife will enter pro ET as well so I'll have my hands full all weekend. 

Looking forward to seeing some of my forum friends there.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: Manufacturers Cup race- Valdosta. Nov. 16-20
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 10:44:29 pm »
Have a lot of maintenance to do on  the bikes before next week.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 06:06:12 am »
I have all my reservations in place. See you there.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 07:01:11 am »
I have all my reservations in place. See you there.

Looking forward to seeing you my friend.  We'll be on the opposite side of the pits along the fence line. We reserved a parking spot since we won't get there until Saturday. Didn't want to fight for a place to set up.

By the way, we need to figure out a way to get you out on the dragstrip next year even if it's on a stock 750. If my brother can do it, you can too. Bucket list time!!!!

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 10:54:39 am »
Mike, his sons, and I will be there.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 01:51:23 pm »
Mike, his sons, and I will be there.
Roger that.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 05:19:08 pm »
Is Kenny going to make this one too?? It's been a while since he's come to hang out.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 12:24:25 am »
It going to be a chilly weekend for racing. Come prepared.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 12:39:35 pm »
These col morning temperatures have me rethinking our participation at this event.  Street ET is out first each morning with first round eliminations on Saturday afternoon.  All times when the ambient and track temperatures will be coldest. Traction  won't be ideal. The light winds will lower the feel even more. Decisions,  decisions 🤔......

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 02:45:18 pm »
All SET riders will be in the same situation.... not ideal by any means but still competitive as such comparatively speaking
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 07:55:59 pm »
For every 10*F, there is about a 1% change in horsepower. Your bike will make 3% more HP at 55* than it would at 85*, so adjust your dial-ins accordingly. ;) Also, cooler temps tend to have higher absolute barometric pressure, which can have an even greater effect on HP than temp alone. I have no clue about traction on prepped tracks.... ;D
Good luck to all!!

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 11:53:30 pm »
For every 10*F, there is about a 1% change in horsepower. Your bike will make 3% more HP at 55* than it would at 85*, so adjust your dial-ins accordingly. ;) Also, cooler temps tend to have higher absolute barometric pressure, which can have an even greater effect on HP than temp alone. I have no clue about traction on prepped tracks.... ;D
Good luck to all!!

Correct on the increase in power for cooler temperatures.  In my case,  my bike will slow down considerably given the temperatures we'll encounter this weekend.  My bike tends to be jetted on the leaner side so the increased oxygen in the air will alter my final AFR in a negative way. I'm not going through the last minute hassle of changing jets but I know how to dial up to compensate in street ET. Good,  useful  advice nevertheless Scottly.

My main concern at the moment is how my old bones will be impacted by the cold temperatures and wind chill. 🤣 This aging and maturity thing isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Jerry, my Honda is slow as heck and doesn't make enough power to be concerned about traction issues in street ET.  I was thinking more about my top gas bike and my small tire super comp bike.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 12:01:32 am »
Good luck Frank! Maybe a set of lightweight insulated underwear can keep your joints warm so the cold isn’t as much a factor. Good luck out there and be safe…also, don’t forget to have fun!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 11:42:16 am »
 I was looking at air density there today, it goes from 1600 feet to below sea level in just a few hours.

https://airdensityonline.com/track-forecast/South_Georgia_Motorsports_Park/
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 01:07:20 pm »
I was looking at air density there today, it goes from 1600 feet to below sea level in just a few hours.

https://airdensityonline.com/track-forecast/South_Georgia_Motorsports_Park/

Dang. Definitely some good power weather if the bikes are set up for the cooler temperatures. I need to pull my weather station out and populate it. Still straddling the fence about coming though. The morning temperature lows linger to long for comfort.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2022, 01:22:54 pm »
Good luck to all!!

Correct on the increase in power for cooler temperatures.  In my case,  my bike will slow down considerably given the temperatures we'll encounter this weekend.  My bike tends to be jetted on the leaner side so the increased oxygen in the air will alter my final AFR in a negative way. I'm not going through the last minute hassle of changing jets but I know how to dial up to compensate in street ET. Good,  useful  advice nevertheless Scottly.

My main concern at the moment is how my old bones will be impacted by the cold temperatures and wind chill. 🤣 This aging and maturity thing isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Jerry, my Honda is slow as heck and doesn't make enough power to be concerned about traction issues in street ET.  I was thinking more about my top gas bike and my small tire super comp bike.

Do you ever run fuel injection,or carbs ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2022, 06:40:38 pm »
Good luck to all!!

Do you ever run fuel injection,or carbs ?

Carbs. I've been contemplating EFI for years now. Just haven't seriously pursued the modifications.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 07:04:37 pm »
I only ride on the street so far and carbs. are all I know.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 11:23:49 pm »
I only ride on the street so far and carbs. are all I know.

I'll be wading into those waters of EFI with my new 4.60 index dragbike build. I've got a new Maxx ECU already and will begin collecting the other components soon.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 11:26:26 pm »
It's going to be a task getting the efi system set up and tuned for this project. Hopefully it'll debut at the first Man Cup event of 2023.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2022, 03:34:33 am »
Guys, Valdosta is renowned for good stable weather, that's why the Man Cup have two events there, one at the beginning of the year and one at the end. All the other venues only have one.
Track conditions were the same every time I raced there with very little variation apart from mid afternoon when the temps went through the roof.
To work out my dial in, it was just a case of consulting my little black book to find a time and temperature that I had previously run that was similar.
Valdosta's only problem in recent years has been over prepping the track, let's hope they learned from that mistake and good luck Frank and every one.

Sam. ;)

C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2022, 03:37:54 am »
Good luck everyone racing and/or traveling to watch or lend a hand... Safe travels and enjoy the event. Best of luck on your adventure!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline mark ward

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 08:05:39 am »
See y'all there!   Any word from Wilbur?

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2022, 01:46:33 pm »
See y'all there!   Any word from Wilbur?

I'm certain Wilbur will be there given his status in the points  chase for street ET.  Bill was preparing his bikes for this race the last time I talked to him. He's entering super eliminator to go after the ET record and street ET as well.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2022, 05:54:43 pm »
 With the cost and availability problems of getting traction compound there's very little over prepping going on. At least around the midwest US. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.