Author Topic: My K8 re-conditioning  (Read 15641 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: My K8 re-conditioning
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2023, 04:51:01 pm »
The inside looks good,around that screen denward17;looks like you bought a decent bike and very worthwhile to get it running 100%  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2023, 06:44:33 pm »
Thanks, I hope to....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2023, 08:24:04 am »
Good advice from PeWe. Leave it where it is, easy to damage. Pick off/ vacuum debris. Primary chain tensioner looks good. Close it up!

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2023, 12:19:04 pm »
Cleaning/polishing parts waiting for new parts(pistons) to arrive.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2023, 12:22:47 pm »
Received new pistons today from cruzinimage.....going to machine shop tomorrow morning to leave the pistons/cylinder.

Asking for .0008" piston to cylinder clearance.

2nd pic is new piston vs. old piston....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:34:49 pm by denward17 »

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2023, 12:25:40 pm »
Nice day for painting, just the bottom today; 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of Dupli-color DE-1615

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2023, 12:59:19 pm »
The paint came out good.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2023, 01:19:11 pm »
The paint came out good.

Thanks!
I warmed up the engine with a shop heater before taking it outside.  Also had the primer and paint sitting in hot water inside the house just before I used them.  Both cans sprayed pretty good.  High 50's here today with about 50% humidity.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2023, 06:16:27 am »
Looking very nice!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2023, 10:07:38 am »
The paint came out good.

Thanks!
I warmed up the engine with a shop heater before taking it outside.  Also had the primer and paint sitting in hot water inside the house just before I used them.  Both cans sprayed pretty good.  High 50's here today with about 50% humidity.

The 50% humidity isn't the best for the paint;good thing you heated the parts & paint up as I imagine it would not have done too well without it.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2023, 02:06:38 pm »
Items completed today, installed oil pan w/new gasket, install new neutral safety switch, painted top of engine.

Took new pistons/cylinder to machine shop.

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2023, 03:32:48 pm »
Now I've gotta paint my K8 engine.......
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2023, 03:54:21 pm »
Speaking of cleaning things up and painting, my head and cylinder both will be media blasted while in various machine shops.

What do I need to do to make sure all the media is cleaned out?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2023, 06:31:26 am »
Speaking of cleaning things up and painting, my head and cylinder both will be media blasted while in various machine shops.

What do I need to do to make sure all the media is cleaned out?

We’re both waiting for the same stuff! I’m trying vapour blasting for the first time, hoping for almost no clean up afterwards? If your opening up the bores for larger pistons, really focus on the new surface. Wipe them over and over again until they are grit and dust free. It’s surprising what gets left in the “pores”. I often use our basement laundry tubs and scrub everything with lots of hot water and liquid dish soap. I have a short hose attached to the HOT tap for rinsing. Blow all passages with air immediately and oil any bare metal surfaces that might rust (your fresh bores).

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2023, 08:04:03 am »
My father had a large air compressor business for many years;when I was young I remember one man(Sam)specialized in honing the cylinders(general rebuilding),he took the cylinders into the degrease pit after that and applied Go-Jo hand cleaner to the bores of the cast iron cylinders,then sprayed/blasted them off inside with the red hot water hose which got every last bit of that honing grit out of the cylinders.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 08:08:27 am by grcamna2 »

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2023, 08:42:38 am »
Finished polishing the side covers and grinded down that pesky flange on the frame.

Will work on touching up frame next week.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:44:18 am by denward17 »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2023, 10:08:12 am »
My father had a large air compressor business for many years;when I was young I remember one man(Sam)specialized in honing the cylinders(general rebuilding),he took the cylinders into the degrease pit after that and applied Go-Jo hand cleaner to the bores of the cast iron cylinders,then sprayed/blasted them off inside with the red hot water hose which got every last bit of that honing grit out of the cylinders.

It’s surprising how much gets stuck in the porous iron. When you think the bores are spotless, do it one more time!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2023, 10:08:44 am »
Finished polishing the side covers and grinded down that pesky flange on the frame.

Will work on touching up frame next week.

It’s going to look good too.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2023, 02:48:30 pm »

It’s surprising how much gets stuck in the porous iron. When you think the bores are spotless, do it one more time!

I understand.
I think it's a good idea to finish by checking with a paper towel,to see if any is left over,then clean them until all the pores are spotless;I would rather have fresh engine oil filling those cast iron pores rather than abrasive fine stone grit !

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2023, 05:35:20 pm »

I understand.
I think it's a good idea to finish by checking with a paper towel,to see if any is left over,then clean them until all the pores are spotless;I would rather have fresh engine oil filling those cast iron pores rather than abrasive fine stone grit !
careful!  Cloth needs to be totally lint free.  Even paper towel lint can clog your rings at this stage, or build up in the oil system and plug an oil passage somewhere else.  My machinist suggested using clean, white cotton T shirt, dipped in oil, and wipe until no more discoloration can be seen on the cotton.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2023, 05:53:27 pm »

I understand.
careful!  Cloth needs to be totally lint free.  Even paper towel lint can clog your rings at this stage, or build up in the oil system and plug an oil passage somewhere else.  My machinist suggested using clean, white cotton T shirt, dipped in oil, and wipe until no more discoloration can be seen on the cotton.

Good point.
I didn't think that using the paper towel to clean them was good,just to check for grit.
I like the Go Jo hand cleaner method that Sam used when rebuilding:the type of Go Jo that has no abrasives in it.
He would apply plenty of it and really rub that stuff in,then wash it off which removes the abrasives left from the honing stones. I haven't been able to find Go Jo like we used to have:without abrasive stuff in the hand cleaner.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 06:04:46 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2023, 05:55:17 pm »
Good points. My local auto supply sells a really good blue paper “shop towel” that seems to fit the bill. It’s pretty much lint free and doesn’t disintegrate. Not cheap, but I always keep a few rolls around for this kind of job.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2023, 06:10:01 pm »
Thanks for the comments Guys, much appreciated..

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...