Author Topic: Does anybody here remember a fella named Harry Maillet  (Read 590 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Does anybody here remember a fella named Harry Maillet
« on: May 26, 2023, 06:03:27 pm »
 He built some interesting bikes in the late 70's early 80's and then disappeared....or died? He was based out of Canoga Park back in the day......I believe Kerker was there too "back in the day".
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Kevin

• Hot Shot
Re: Does anybody here remember a fella named Harry Maillet
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 10:56:00 pm »
I wonder where the bikes he built are now?
Pretty amazing stuff!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

A couple of 400F's and a
'98 Suzuki Intruder VS1400 ~ for long rides

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 03:59:09 am »
Found this...

https://vintagedirtbikes.blogspot.com/2010/12/time-to-daydream-again.html

" My name is Greg Lundy, I know Ed L., and Ron the graphic desiger (besides Harry's logo he also designed the True cigarette package).. Also Jewel Hendricks (legendary machinist) and I became very close. I worked for Harry for many years and did a good portion of the work that went out of his shop including the $30,000 1325cc Bimota SB4S 'Bumble Bee' which was the fastest bike Motorcyclist magazine had ever tested for the December'85 issue. It went 185 miles an hour.. I personally think it would have easily gone 200 but Harry used 31mm Kiehin CR carbs for more tractibility, this was just before the introduction of the flat slide Mikuni and Kiehin carbs which are still being used today.. After Harry closed the shop he just disappeared, people who considered Harry their friend Howard B., Vince F, and others never saw or heard from him again!!

After working at the Performance Works I was involved in Pro racing for a number of years.. I was involved with Todd Brubaker and pretty much 'MADE' Chuck Graves of Graves Motorsports in Van Nuys, Ca..

If the subject comes up and there are any questions that I may be able to answer for you please don't hesitate to contact me at glundy57@gmail.com or 513 490 0035.

The years surrounding the time of working for Harry were some of the very best years of my life and will supply fond memories forever!!"
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 09:59:40 am »
 It's interesting how some things just disappear, I bought a drag/ street bike owned by a friend. He had partners on the bike but ex-wives took the pics and his widow ended up with nothing from the days of racing. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 09:45:26 pm »
It's interesting how some things just disappear, I bought a drag/ street bike owned by a friend. He had partners on the bike but ex-wives took the pics and his widow ended up with nothing from the days of racing. 

I can relate to that Don,
Before I grew up (some would argue it still hasn't happened) and realized rather than doggedly pursuing my dreams, I needed to balance those dreams with my responsibilities. 
Back in the nineties my first wife left and as a parting gesture burned all my racing trophies and pictures.
I didn't think to much about it at the time but now my grandchildren have begun to show a genuine interest in "Pop's racing day's" and I regret their loss very much.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 09:47:29 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.