Author Topic: I am so ashamed.....  (Read 3492 times)

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
I am so ashamed.....
« on: July 27, 2023, 08:29:48 am »
I brought this home yesterday, and yes it was very cheap, considering it has every 70's "Redneck" accoutrement known to man you could install back then to include chrome bullet style case cover screws.   It is a 1974 with verifying year numbers and of course no title so I will start the process to obtain one and begin the long list needed to replace the missing bits.  There is a lot, air box housing, grab rail, side covers, HL bucket and bulb, correct front fender so on and so on.  I have a stock size rear wheel and a set of OEM forks in my cache, so there is a starting point.  The one good thing, great compression, and when you insert the key in after market wiring harness that is hanging on the bike like a giant spider web, jump the solenoid, it fires up immediately and runs pretty damn good considering there is gas following out of two of the four carbs via the overflow.  It even has an oil cooler that attaches to the base of the filter, never seen one before.  I don't think I will start a project thread on this one, maybe a final shot when I am done in a year or two or a picture of it being dropped off at the metal recycler, which ever comes first.   

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: I am so ashamed.....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 12:27:24 pm »
Congrats...you sure have a knack for finding projects
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 12:02:05 pm »
You are ambitious. Start the project thread, we all love to watch your progress! Did you sell the last one?

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 02:38:04 pm »
Went out the door today......

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 05:47:05 pm »
You’re a machine! I accomplished nothing today…..

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 11:03:42 pm »
Was this blue one a Mid-Ohio purchase ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 09:11:25 am »

No, North Carolina again, about 50 miles from where I purchased the restored one.  I think it must be a nest of them down there.....

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 07:34:48 am »
Well this one is going to completely full of surprise's.  When I pulled the tank, frame rails are gone.  Either the motor has been out before or someone attempted a repair on twisted off valve cover screws.  One was wrung off and I had to beat another to death to get the cover off.  A frame repair kit is on the way, so eventually I will be trying to find a welder, not so easy this day and time. No dowel pins in place also, fun times......

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 08:00:49 am »
Well this one is going to completely full of surprise's.  When I pulled the tank, frame rails are gone.  Either the motor has been out before or someone attempted a repair on twisted off valve cover screws.  One was wrung off and I had to beat another to death to get the cover off.  A frame repair kit is on the way, so eventually I will be trying to find a welder, not so easy this day and time. No dowel pins in place also, fun times......

You rescued that one from a 'hacker' PO.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 08:36:33 am »
Well this one is going to completely full of surprise's.  When I pulled the tank, frame rails are gone. 

I've experienced that surprise too, the PO of my K3 attempted to make a homemade frame kit, it was very crude. Looks like you have enough frame there for a kit.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 07:17:56 pm »
...or, you could just call it an AMEN chopper frame and just go with it...but, not real fast, just straight...
;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 07:08:18 am »
I’ve always wanted to try a frame kit, but never could bring myself to cut up a frame! Looks like you could just go ahead. I’ve always liked this style, but I would weld in both ends……. Some hot rod manufacturers make theses types of ends for removable chassis links. Know a good welder?

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 07:02:18 am »
The kit arrived yesterday, looks like it will do the job nicely.  I used the one from Carpy's Cafe Racers.  I didn't notice we had a member here producing a kit until I had already ordered.  Going to be a while before I load it up to get it welded in, there is a lot of other stuff to do on this one.......

https://carpyscaferacers.com/shop/shop-our-store/motorcycle-parts-accessories/honda-cb500-cb550-cb750-parts-upgrades/frame-adapter-honda/

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 08:48:09 am »
Now there is a job!
Looking forward to seeing the project.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Ellz10

• ZZ
  • Expert
  • Knowledge is Power
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 10:03:01 am »
The kit arrived yesterday, looks like it will do the job nicely.  I used the one from Carpy's Cafe Racers.  I didn't notice we had a member here producing a kit until I had already ordered.  Going to be a while before I load it up to get it welded in, there is a lot of other stuff to do on this one.......

https://carpyscaferacers.com/shop/shop-our-store/motorcycle-parts-accessories/honda-cb500-cb550-cb750-parts-upgrades/frame-adapter-honda/

Yeah Scott has them, I'm not sure if he has any made up, but they're leaps and bounds better than any of the kits out there on the market. Just my opinion.
Thankful for everyone on this forum. Grateful to continue to learn so much.

'77 K7 - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,193043.msg2251436/topicseen.html#new

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 11:41:15 am »

I think you will be OK. I like the weld in option. I’ve never used one, but that kit looks very slick to my eyes. Will be interested to hear what you think, when done.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 06:18:04 am »
I think it will fine also John.  I believe getting it fitted exactly before welding is the key and the installation process allows for that.  I have been doing such fun things such as installing rear wheel bumpers and going from one engine case screw to another replacing them with allan heads.  The entire motor is covered with the little custom bullet style fasteners that install with a stud and a pointy chrome cap.  I have a mason jar full of them so far and still have some to go. If there was an aftermarket gaudy accessory available in 1974 the PO bolted it on.  I bet he had a disco ball in his dining room.......
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 09:24:20 am by britman »

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023, 06:45:23 pm »
I think it will fine also John.  I believe getting it fitted exactly before welding is the key and the installation process allows for that.  I have been doing such fun things such as installing rear wheel bumpers and going from one engine case screw to another replacing them with allan heads.  The entire motor is covered with the little custom bullet style fasteners that install with a stud and a pointy chrome cap.  I have a mason jar full of them so far and still have some to go. If there was an aftermarket gaudy accessory available in 1974 the PO bolted it on.  I bet he had a disco ball in his dining room.......

Hey, my poolroom had one of those! ;)
Are those screws you're removing the chromed bolt-head type as are found on some of the CB650 SOHC4 bikes?

Also, a word from experience (much later than when the Allen-screws were installed): the stainless-steel Allen screws widely sold for these engines are ASME metric spec threads and not JIS spec threads - quite some different shape. This means they only engage the threads about 80-85% of how much the JIS screw threads did, making them easy to strip if tightened a bit much. I just had to Helicoil all but 2 on a cam cover of a 750 engine because the previous installer didn't know that...the "other" socket-head capscrews (like from Ace Hardware these days, made in Chinko) have very unfinished (uncut, just roughly rolled) threads. That same hardware store sells a chrome-plated line of SHCS in Metric and SAE: avoid them if at all possible. They rust, and quickly, taking the case threads out with them when removed. :(

Using ISO-spec threaded metric screws works better, IF they are well-made. This is one reason Honda's screws still cost so much!

I've been trying for a while to get a full set of case screws from Honda for the CB650 bikes in the right lengths for the 750. They have little 6mm bolt heads on each one. I rebuilt a 750 for a Canadian a long time ago, and he sent a full set of them (all Honda) for me to use on his new engine. All but 1 place had them (that real deep hole on the shifter cover didn't have one in the end) and it looked TERRIFIC.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2023, 07:24:02 pm »
FYI….. the last set of engine cover screws I bought from Yamiya were almost reasonably priced and really accurate replacements.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2023, 06:59:56 am »
Speaking of screws, I might have to drop the the s and add an "ed" to that.  I just noticed the long arse extended front forks are only secured by the top triple tree bolts, the bottom of the tree has one bolt missing and one bolt loose.  The kid who I bought it from claims he rode it a couple of times and had it up to 70mph on one occasion, if truthful, he is a lucky young man.  It is also missing the bottom front motor mount bolt, so therefore I would venture a guess the motor has been out before.  In my world of happiness and wishes filled with sunflowers and butterflies, I hope it was for a professional rebuild within the last 20 years.  That world has had some melt downs in the past, so time will tell.  I used a allen head bolt kit replacement from the below company, I know the thread pitch was probably not JIS but they tightened down nicely and matched every case bolt so far.  Besides the company history appealed to me......

https://alloyboltz.com/

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2023, 09:29:22 pm »
Speaking of screws, I might have to drop the the s and add an "ed" to that.  I just noticed the long arse extended front forks are only secured by the top triple tree bolts, the bottom of the tree has one bolt missing and one bolt loose.  The kid who I bought it from claims he rode it a couple of times and had it up to 70mph on one occasion, if truthful, he is a lucky young man.  It is also missing the bottom front motor mount bolt, so therefore I would venture a guess the motor has been out before.  In my world of happiness and wishes filled with sunflowers and butterflies, I hope it was for a professional rebuild within the last 20 years.  That world has had some melt downs in the past, so time will tell.  I used a allen head bolt kit replacement from the below company, I know the thread pitch was probably not JIS but they tightened down nicely and matched every case bolt so far.  Besides the company history appealed to me......

https://alloyboltz.com/

I've done several engines with the AlloyBoltz kits (sent to me with the engines, by their owners). The one thing I'd recommend to do 'special' with them is: add a touch of grease to each one's threads (at the tip of each screw) at assembly. Reason: after recognizing them in other engines I've done, I have seen a couple of them with light corrosion on the screws - which had been installed some years before - which was aluminum oxide from the engine cases (note: they didn't have washers on those screws). I suspect moisture was the issue: in recent years these kits have been coming with washers for each screw, which should help keep the high-pressure car washes out of those holes.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2023, 07:19:28 am »
Motor was painted yesterday.  I am really on the fence about leaving the chromed covers on the bike.  There is a lot of surface rust and glaze on the stator and sprocket cover.  I have two options, leave it and call it patina, or rough it up, hit it with self etching primer and paint them...So far option #1 is way ahead..... I lost the chrome valve cover, it was just too far gone with chrome peeling and I did some damage trying to remove a frozen screw.....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2023, 08:17:21 am »
Leave it. Looks good!

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2023, 09:50:12 pm »

No, North Carolina again, about 50 miles from where I purchased the restored one.  I think it must be a nest of them down there.....

around Rockingham they have the yearly Honda chopper meet referred to as "The Roost"
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2023, 11:08:43 pm »
Just looking at that frame ( which I assume you are going to do the removable tubes mod to ) reminds me of a chopper I bought a long time ago , mostly for the motor, in the dark a long way from home.....
Got it home and started stripping it to get the motor out, the tank was held on with one bolt at the front and a hose clamp at the back, when I undid the hose clamp the frame was broken in half ( single top tube ' conversion ' ) and the hose clamp was the only thing holding it together....
The forks were rusted and bent, the wiring was a nightmare, just about everything else was junk and turned out the motor had a shagged second gear just like the one it was supposed to replace
Moral of the story, don't buy a rough looking chopper in the dark in an equally rough looking trailer park ( yes, we have them in Australia too )
i blame Terry