Author Topic: I am so ashamed.....  (Read 3489 times)

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
Re: I am so ashamed.....
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2023, 04:06:12 pm »
Picked it up from the welding shop today, I have frame rails.  Kit seems to give plenty of support and they did a decent job.  I have pretty well wrapped up the arse end, shocks, chain and sprockets, turn signals that I still need to shorten the stalk.  I also wired in a small blade fuse terminal, the stock glass fuse block was on its last legs.  Next week up in the air on blocks for a new front end, handle bars, ears, so forth.  I will also hit the DMV and pick up the fresh title.  This one has been a fighter, two steps forward, three back, but I am beginning to see the end in sight....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2023, 06:35:22 pm »
I like the welded installation. Looks strong and tidy.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2023, 02:09:19 pm »
The weather broke around here a few days ago, much cooler with a great light breeze, so I spent some time in the garage.  We got a new front end, entire new front braking system, (when I pulled the old caliber I had never seen one so bad on the inside.) I am installing new handlebar switches with the new wiring harness, so it should be fun matching wires.  Chinese colors tend to be at least a few shades off, so there will be some time sitting and thinking with a cup of coffee.  Title is in hand again thanks to the Abandoned Vehicle Process here in Virginia.  Almost time to start thinking about a color.....

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2023, 04:56:35 pm »
Looking good!

You've come a ways it seems, what color you thinking?

Offline Ellz10

• ZZ
  • Expert
  • Knowledge is Power
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2023, 02:18:09 pm »
Looks amazing! Nicely done - beautiful looking motor!
Thankful for everyone on this forum. Grateful to continue to learn so much.

'77 K7 - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,193043.msg2251436/topicseen.html#new

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2023, 05:49:58 am »
Looking good!

I have no idea currently.  I do know I am leaning to the single early model tank stripe for simplicity, not period correct for a 74 but I am prepared to live with the shame.  I will spend sometime with the color charts from my supplier and just go for it.  I asked for my Wife's input one time before, not a good idea.  The woman can spent three days deciding on pair of shoes and one of the only really bad arguments we have ever had in 35 years of matrimony was in the middle of a Montgomery Wards Store picking out wall paper about 20 years ago......

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2023, 06:54:28 am »
Looking good!

I do know I am leaning to the single early model tank stripe for simplicity, not period correct for a 74 but I am prepared to live with the shame. 

I did it on my K4 and have no regrets.  [also did it on a K5 that I sold last year] Go for it!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2023, 01:31:52 pm »
Looking good!

I do know I am leaning to the single early model tank stripe for simplicity, not period correct for a 74 but I am prepared to live with the shame. 

I did it on my K4 and have no regrets.  [also did it on a K5 that I sold last year] Go for it!

+1 to that! My K4 also has the black older style stripe. Easier and better looking!

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2023, 01:40:33 pm »
This has been a couple of days of highs and lows.  First high I found an old set of Mac 4 into 2 exhaust that cleaned up well and look pretty decent compared to the shorty header exhaust I was planning on using.  Stock mains are 105 so I will probably go up a couple initially since I am going to run a OEM air box.  Second high got the wiring sorted out even with a bad brand new flasher and defective oil sending unit.  (Thanks for the help John in that department.)  I have soldered most of the old connections from the stock switches to the new ones, they seem to fit better.  I still find it amazing that much wire will fit in that little headlight bucket.  There is also a new rectifier/regulator installed. Now for the lows, of course the bad new flasher and sending unit, but the real bummer  was a blown fork seal.  The seller I bought the forks from said he had replaced the seals recently and they were fine, and I must admit when I changed the fork oil it looked fairly new so I took him at his word.  Today I discovered a puddle of fork oil under the lift, the left seal is completely gone so I will pull the front back down and replace them both. This is turning into one of those projects where I am looking forward to the end, this bike has fought me tooth and nail.  Oh, well it keeps me from running up and down the street with scissors. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2023, 01:51:39 pm »
 Some bikes come along willingly, some need to be wrestled into submission.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2023, 02:28:06 pm »
Looking good though....

Did you get new rims/spokes?

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2023, 04:10:50 pm »
Looking good though....

Did you get new rims/spokes?

Elbow grease and a touch of paint.  Don't look at them too closely.

BTW
Tooth and nail' clearly alludes to the fights that are undertaken by wild animals when hunting prey.

Tooth and nail.
The expression has a long history and is one of the older phrases in English that is still in everyday use. The original form when referring to a 'no holds barred' fight was 'with tooth and nail' and it was used that way in the earliest example that is known in print - Sir Thomas More's In A Dialogue of Comfort and Tribulation, circa 1535:

Sometimes I just wonder where an expression comes from........

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2023, 11:51:04 am »
Feel free to disagree and discuss among yourselves, but getting a stock air box and carb boots in place on a CB750k is still a royal pain in the arse..........

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2023, 12:42:46 pm »
Feel free to disagree and discuss among yourselves, but getting a stock air box and carb boots in place on a CB750k is still a royal pain in the arse..........

Totally agree.......keep working, you'll get there..

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2023, 02:44:30 pm »
The first think I saw when you wrote "redneck accoutrement" was the duct tape on them thar dumbells. ;)

How are you going to go about getting a title? Dept. of Licensing here in Warsh-ington said that they don't help with that. So... are we the only A-holes that don't let people apply for lost title?

We applied for a lost title for the 75' CB 400-4 and had it inspected by the state patrol for a VIN check in February 2019. They issued a registration to get a license plate and then if nobody shows up before 3 years has passed they issue you a clean title in your name. Last year Paul got the new title in the mail.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2023, 06:43:53 pm »

….but it looks right!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2023, 06:52:13 pm »

….but it looks right!

Yes it does.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2023, 07:29:46 pm »

No argument there!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2023, 09:43:45 am »
Not OEM clamps, but they work so much better.......

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2023, 10:18:22 pm »

I might have to try those sometime soon. While I've been using the [expensive] Oetiker clamps, they are gnarly-lookin' things, and have to be applied gingerly, or they can actually cut thru the boot (don't ask...). :(
Where did you get those clamps?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2023, 10:44:09 pm »

They look a bit like Norma foreign/European auto brand clamps..
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2023, 06:25:45 am »
Bingo-
German made Norma model 01266704050-000-0541 40-60mm.  Not cheap 10 clamps for around 30 bucks on Amazon.  The length is a little long and you have to cut them down a bit, but the width is perfect for the boot grooves.  I have used them on the last 5 or 6 bikes I have done. 

I have been busy ordering more parts, front brake light switch replaced and now working.  It has been around the block a lot and the motor is strong, "HOWEVER", although there is plenty of clutch lever, it grabs badly when cold, pretty good clunk when going into gear, you have to send out a search party for neutral when warm, and a lot of chatter at idle.  New discs and springs are on the way and going to drill the extra "Hondaman" holes while in there, as always thanks Mark.  (I have also started to notice some grab on my knock around 73K and the set up is new in that.  It is also running like crap due to the plain fact it just sits too much, it has gone on the list of things to do.)  I don't even want to start to total the receipts on this project, there is no way a profit will be made on this one, but hopefully I can pass it on to a new home where someone can enjoy it. Maybe I can make it up on the next one.  I say that a lot......

The paint has arrived, it is not as all what I expected said the color blind old man, but damnit, I bought it so it is going to get applied.......

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2023, 01:36:22 pm »
Are those clamps smooth on the inside (the gear slot is not a slice in the clamp)?

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2023, 01:56:36 pm »
John, yes, the Norma clamps have a heavy smooth band with radius edge so they won’t cut into a hose. Volvo and BMW and Mercedes used them, not sure if they still are…
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2023, 01:59:56 pm »
Nice….. I’ll order some!