Author Topic: Why was the K7 so tall?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
Why was the K7 so tall?
« on: September 30, 2023, 10:38:19 am »
Among the more trifling questions I've had, which I never found an aswer to... Why is the K7 so high up?

Was there a technical reason, or was it meant to make men feel bigger? This was the age of Macho after all.
I'm 6' even, but even so I used to have to lift my leg way up and would sometimes kick the rear blinker. When I got a K4 there was a notable height difference. Same with my K2 and K5. When I got my 2nd K7, I had gotten used to the older models and actually went out and bought a pair of those lowering gadgets that attached to the lower end of my shocks (and lowered the forks an inch).

For the record, I'm talking stock seats, not Mom-n-Pop, King & Queen or any of the fancier seats.

EDIT: Looking at old photos, I realized that none of my K7s or the K8 came with the stock seat belt or uphoulstry pattern, so there's a chance they were redone. Some say their K7 was definitely taller, some say they never noticed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:41:51 am by Kaze »

Offline rotortiller

• Expert
Re: Why was the K7 so tall?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 01:19:17 pm »
I am shorter than you and I have no problem with K7 seat or blinkers. Me thinks you need to go to the gym lol! Maybe start to practice with fire hydrants  ;D  Failing that, use the foot peg as a  step ladder up like a midget does. Try slinging your leg over a dirt bike seat, then you will be a happy camper.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 04:34:01 pm »
 I'm OK on any of them but I agree, they are too tall for a lot of average inseam guys.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 04:43:12 pm »
I am shorter than you and I have no problem with K7 seat or blinkers. Me thinks you need to go to the gym lol! Maybe start to practice with fire hydrants  ;D  Failing that, use the foot peg as a  step ladder up like a midget does. Try slinging your leg over a dirt bike seat, then you will be a happy camper.

Absolutely,

Especially if it’s set up for a 190# or more rider with the proper springs and race sag…

That down hill side is way down there….
Age Quod Agis

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 06:41:25 pm »
Have you tried a K0?
That will make you feel REAL short...those crazy side covers...the sandcast was slightly lower than the K0, though, as the original shocks were shorter by about 1/8". The 3/70-ish K1 got taller with the later. longer shocks.

Today, the metric tires are all taller than the old bias-ply (more oval cross-section) tires, too, by quite a bit! The K7's 17 inch rear makes that even more so.

In 1969-1970 Honda made us (shops) measure the customer's inseam and it had to be not less than 29" to sell them a 750. Honest! Talk about trying to do THAT with your average 60's rider...this responsibility was put onto the shop owners by Honda. We also had a "check list" that included making sure the buyer was not a brand-new rider (some were anyway), had at least 29" inseam, and was familiar with the traffic laws (don't know that we EVER asked that one, though).

My favorite instance: the banker who handled Spring Honda's bank accounts was 5'8" tall, probably had about 27" (if that) inseam, and weighed close to 200 lbs. He'd never owned, nor ridden, a motorcycle, but he HAD to have the 750 when he saw it. The first one in sold was to him. He couldn't ride it home: we trucked it to his house and garaged it. Every 2 weeks or so it would come in, parked in 2nd gear, needing new sparkplugs (they were fouled). It took the entire time from 10/69 until 8/70 when I left there for it to reach 300 miles (and I lost track of the sparkplugs) for the initial tuneup. The manager told me the guy was starting it with the clutch pulled in, riding it to work (3/4 mile from his house) and home again in 2nd gear, never over 30 MPH. The bike had been dropped on both sides when I last saw it!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 08:14:49 pm »
Failing memory….. Aren’t the fork tubes on K7 and K8 longer than earlier versions?

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 10:27:15 pm »
Kaze, stop trippin on some imaginary stuff or your bikes were not original spec.  Go to sohc4.net and look at the model guide.  The guide lists specs for every model including seat height.  K0, K1 at 31.5 inches, K2 on up were ALL 31.9.
If it works good, it looks good...

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 10:35:33 pm »
Also, these are not cruisers.  You don't have to be able to flat foot a bike to ride it properly.  I am 5'8" with short legs.  I gotta tip toe around.  No biggie.  Ever heard of Danny Pedrosa?  Tiny little dude beat EVERYONE on a Honda quite a bit taller than a cb750 at one time or another.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 11:33:12 pm »
Sure I'm outta shape now, but not when I had that first K7. I was 27, thin and athletic... of course I went from a 75' CB125S to a CB750K7... it wasn't just tall it was FAT! Fat-ass seat. And fast as #$%*! Man oh man was it amazing...

Dirt bikes are way too high. Besides, if you put me out in the woods on one of those 2 strokers, you'd read about me on the news first and then in my obituary. "Insane local man tries to ride up Mt. Rainier. Details at 11."

Model guide... Thanks for the reminder. Since I got on this site I've been too busy asking questions, joking around and reading stories.

Hondaman: "You must be this tall to ride this ride" HA! Speaking of new riders, a customer brought her new turbo HD into the paint shop I used to work at, to get a buff. First bike...in her life, and she's got a full custom Harley with a turbo... y'know... even if someone is loaded, you'd think they would have some sense.

I like being able to flat-foot on my K6. I don't live in Japan anymore, but I spent a quarter of my life there, and got used to riding under their rules. When you come to a stop sign or stoplight, you're not considered "stopped" until both feet are flat on the ground and you count to 2. No warnings and no chit-chat with those cops, just "This is what you did. Here's your ticket. Be more careful". Makes me wonder about my Japanese friends who rode Z1 and such... Huh.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:44:46 am by Kaze »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 11:49:52 pm »
remind me not to go to japan.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 12:29:50 am »
Failing memory….. Aren’t the fork tubes on K7 and K8 longer than earlier versions?
Actually, the aluminum part on the 75,76F and K7, K8 were taller but I think it was more overlap than total height.
  I have found three lengths of late style replacement fork tubes, the short ones (30 13/16"?) were for the 550, (same #341 short lowers) and there were other ones an inch longer and two inches longer available.
 My Hot Rod bike got the F1's taller lowers with the short 550 tubes. I have progressive springs and plenty of travel. The long swingarm makes the shocks lay down like lowering blocks so it sits like a drag bike, which it was. Next it gets the F1 caliper.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 01:41:55 am »
so if you come to a stop light in japan,and cant flat foot both sides its best to commit hari kari?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023, 02:34:03 am »
There was a good law in Japan however, which should be an example: you're not to ride a motorcycle that you cannot upright by you yourself, once it has fallen over.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2023, 02:55:00 am »
new law,dont let it fall over in the first place!

Offline rotortiller

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 03:48:56 am »
That down hill side is way down there….

Especially when a person loses balance in a cold, deep, fast moving river lol!

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 07:58:10 am »
I put a Yamiya cut down seat on my K3 just to lower it a little bit, works great for the aging inseam of 30"
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 08:38:59 am »
Here's a check to determine whether that K7 was really so tall, or it just appeared tall. Also the CB550K3, which was launched around the same time, appeared taller than previous models, but it was mainly because of the bigger seat. Both models, the K7 and the CB550K3 were marketed in Europe as long distance tourers. The seats were (or at least appeared) higher than previous ones, but... they were also much softer and compressed considerably more than the old ones, when sat on. Some judged they were more comfortable on longer stretches, others thought the opposite. Anyway, when you would measure the seat height, that compression is something to include in the calculation.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 09:34:53 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 09:58:11 am »
That's a fair point. Now that you mention it, K7 had that hump, so maybe it only looked taller.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:39:15 am by Kaze »

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 10:49:18 am »
Danny Pedrosa? No I hadn't heard of him until just now. I can only name 3 racers: Dick Mann, Joey Dunlop, and John McGuiness...and the third one is mainly because he was often seen duking it out with Dunlop. I'm not big on sport, but Joey D. on the Isle of Mann was exceptional. (Recently though, I've taken to watching any race with a CB750 in it)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 07:14:37 pm »
The cb750K7 and K8 seats were significantly larger and higher than the earlier bikes. The K7 was still a pretty traditional “log” shape. The K8 became more of a sculpted saddle for the rider and the passenger end was raised up a bit. In this photo my K7 is on the right (white pinstripe on the tank) and the other two are K8’s. I actually find the K7 easier to move around on, and more comfortable.

No question the style changes to the tank, front fender, seat, pipes and higher/ wider handle bars were to make the bike look more contemporary and give it a larger presence. Remember at this point in time Kawasaki (and Yamaha?) we’re giving Honda more than a good run!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 07:18:45 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2023, 11:55:28 pm »
That's a striking photo. They look like they're waiting for a Yamaha to come out of a bar to kick it's ass...

I had a couple of K7s that must have had that paint scheme, but had both been left outside so long you could only see that they had once been black with gold and red stripes. Seeing these in this condition brings a smile to my face. They look brand new! I don't even know what we were talking about now... I just want to get on and go!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 11:58:02 pm by Kaze »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2023, 05:02:01 am »
Kaze….. come by anytime. Both are available (for the right price!).

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2023, 06:48:21 am »
Makes me wonder about my Japanese friends who rode Z1...

I had a K7, never thought it was bigger.
When I jump on my Z1, I always seem to notice that it is much bigger than my K4.  But as mentioned above, there is no need to put both feet on the ground at a stop light, I never do that, right foot stays on the brake

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2023, 11:36:44 am »
"There is no need to put both feet on the ground at a stop light, I never do that, right foot stays on the brake"

The conversation took a side-step to Japanese traffic laws for a moment there. 2-feet down, 2 second count at all stops is required by law. I wasn't talking about riding habits or safety.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2023, 11:40:08 am »
"There is no need to put both feet on the ground at a stop light, I never do that, right foot stays on the brake"

The conversation took a side-step to Japanese traffic laws for a moment there. 2-feet down, 2 second count at all stops is required by law. I wasn't talking about riding habits or safety.

That's a little strict. Is it heavily enforced?
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2023, 11:56:26 am »
Duuuude... did I ever tell you about the Japanese driver's test? I'd better make a new thread...

Here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,193637.0.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:02:18 pm by Kaze »

Offline drodg33

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 07:55:06 am »
Have you tried a K0?
That will make you feel REAL short...those crazy side covers...the sandcast was slightly lower than the K0, though, as the original shocks were shorter by about 1/8". The 3/70-ish K1 got taller with the later. longer shocks.

Today, the metric tires are all taller than the old bias-ply (more oval cross-section) tires, too, by quite a bit! The K7's 17 inch rear makes that even more so.

In 1969-1970 Honda made us (shops) measure the customer's inseam and it had to be not less than 29" to sell them a 750. Honest! Talk about trying to do THAT with your average 60's rider...this responsibility was put onto the shop owners by Honda. We also had a "check list" that included making sure the buyer was not a brand-new rider (some were anyway), had at least 29" inseam, and was familiar with the traffic laws (don't know that we EVER asked that one, though).

My favorite instance: the banker who handled Spring Honda's bank accounts was 5'8" tall, probably had about 27" (if that) inseam, and weighed close to 200 lbs. He'd never owned, nor ridden, a motorcycle, but he HAD to have the 750 when he saw it. The first one in sold was to him. He couldn't ride it home: we trucked it to his house and garaged it. Every 2 weeks or so it would come in, parked in 2nd gear, needing new sparkplugs (they were fouled). It took the entire time from 10/69 until 8/70 when I left there for it to reach 300 miles (and I lost track of the sparkplugs) for the initial tuneup. The manager told me the guy was starting it with the clutch pulled in, riding it to work (3/4 mile from his house) and home again in 2nd gear, never over 30 MPH. The bike had been dropped on both sides when I last saw it!

Great story.  I cannot imagine today a bike shop doing that with making sure a person is the correct height etc. 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 12:29:19 pm »
Have you tried a K0?

I cannot imagine today a bike shop doing that with making sure a person is the correct height etc. 

It's very typical for high-end bicycles as they offer different frame sizes but not so with motorcycles.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........