Author Topic: Forum subsections?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline gearsoup

• Enthusiast
  • Maine, USA
Forum subsections?
« on: October 07, 2023, 03:55:20 am »
The layout of this forum perplexes me. Why have just (essentially) one dumping ground for new threads as opposed to a more structured layout?

Body/Trim
Brakes
Carbs
Engine/Exhaust
Electrical
Wheels/Tires
etc
etc

Too much work to make that possible?
Current Project: CB750-K6 (hoping for OEM look)
Future Project: CB750-K8  (likely go wild on this build)

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
Re: Forum subsections?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 05:10:04 am »
The layout of this forum perplexes me. Why have just (essentially) one dumping ground for new threads as opposed to a more structured layout?

Body/Trim
Brakes
Carbs
Engine/Exhaust
Electrical
Wheels/Tires
etc
etc

Too much work to make that possible?

I haven't seen that on any of the forums I've been on in the past 14 years. Have you to give examples of how they are set up?
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline gearsoup

• Enthusiast
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 05:10:22 pm »
vintagehondatwins.com as one example, see attachment

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 10:16:25 am »
The Tips & Tricks section is split up into specific subsections like this, because it's already known exactly which subsection each topic should go into, and if you're looking for info on a specific topic you can more easily find it that way.

The main Tech forum is not split up into subsections for a few different reasons.  One is that the person in need of help won't always know which area their topic should go and would very often choose the wrong one, so we'd have to move topics around too often.  Also, topics may originally be started in the correct section, but it turns out it's actually something else, or it falls into multiple categories.  Then what?

Another one is that there just aren't that many active users here at any given time, and it's a lot of extra effort to click through multiple sub-forums just to check on what few new threads there are.  Many people won't bother to check all of them, so a lot of posts will be largely ignored.  I can't remember for sure because I've been on this forum for over 20 years in all its different iterations, but I believe we tried something like that for a while, and it just didn't work. 

This forum has been around for a very long time, and a lot of different things have been tried over the years.  When considering the available resources for the forum and the needs of this community, what we have now is what works best. 

Offline gearsoup

• Enthusiast
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 11:41:11 am »
Ha, fair enough!