Author Topic: Question for Deltarider  (Read 3750 times)

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
Re: Question for Deltarider
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2023, 03:04:04 pm »
Forum Rule # 9. No Politics.

Let's stay on topic so this thread doesn't get locked. Keep your personal attacks relegated to PM's. Nobody wants to hear that crap here.

darn....too late to the fray...so no re-start from me, promise...........unless😬

but kudos to 737 , 750...🇺🇸

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2023, 08:00:39 pm »

Let's stay on topic so this thread doesn't get locked. Keep your personal attacks relegated to PM's. Nobody wants to hear that crap here.

darn....too late to the fray...so no re-start from me, promise...........unless😬

So you have nothing of any value to add to the original conversation??
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2023, 06:28:46 am »

So you have nothing of any value to add to the original conversation??

no. If I had experience with those cars, I might've said something.
I commented about others who made similar responses, that added "no value" according to you.
They can and I can't? I didn't see you smart off to them initially....so why are you trying to start something with me?
.....but if you i insist, proceed.......or you can drop it now....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 06:30:27 am by jlh3rd »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2023, 08:43:09 am »
... a 69 Unimog which he actually still has.

Most guys wont know what that is, was it this style?

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2023, 08:44:44 am »

Does he have any of the farm implements they made for them?
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2023, 02:55:48 pm »

His doesn't have the crew cab or extended cab but you have the right idea. I have a pic of it after my friend restored it for his dad but I can't find it but I did find a pic of my friends dad with his 600 not too long before he finally sold it a few years back. Keep in mind we lived in a blue collar neighborhood at the time so imagine cruising around in that. As far as I know he never had any of the farm implements for the Unimog, he primarily used it as an everyday work truck while he was starting his tool and die business then it sat for years in his garage until he had my friend restore it for him. My friend's dad has been retired for a while and currently lives in U.P. Michigan but according to my friend, his dad still drives it. Here's a pic of the 600.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2023, 05:31:53 pm »

His doesn't have the crew cab or extended cab but you have the right idea. I have a pic of it after my friend restored it for his dad but I can't find it but I did find a pic of my friends dad with his 600 not too long before he finally sold it a few years back. Keep in mind we lived in a blue collar neighborhood at the time so imagine cruising around in that. As far as I know he never had any of the farm implements for the Unimog, he primarily used it as an everyday work truck while he was starting his tool and die business then it sat for years in his garage until he had my friend restore it for him. My friend's dad has been retired for a while and currently lives in U.P. Michigan but according to my friend, his dad still drives it. Here's a pic of the 600.

Sounds like fun driving it around in the city. After high school and through most of my 20's a friend had a 41' Dodge 1/2 ton weapons carrier that we swapped in a 57' Chrysler 318ci V8. We made an adapter plate between the bell housing and the stock transmission. In May 1980 we took it down to the frame, went through everything and put it back together with a no cab(no doors, back wall or roof, just a 10" tall rim around the floor) and drove it over Steven's Pass to Leavenworth WA for the 4th of July weekend. We spent a decade playing in the woods and in the city with the truck. I don't have any pictures but my friend still has it.

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2023, 07:42:21 pm »
In the early '70s I bought a '61 VW bus for $30. I then proceeded to fit a 413 Chrysler V8 into it. ;D I also chopped the top, and over the years it's been through several iterations, including a home-brew analog EFI system.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2023, 11:14:07 pm »
wow!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2023, 06:54:24 am »
In the early '70s I bought a '61 VW bus for $30. I then proceeded to fit a 413 Chrysler V8 into it. ;D I also chopped the top, and over the years it's been through several iterations, including a home-brew analog EFI system.

Hey Scott...sounds like an odd motor swap!  Was the 413 just what was available for a good price? [I've never heard of a 413 and I have owned a couple Mopars over the years]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2023, 10:33:06 am »
In the early '70s I bought a '61 VW bus for $30. I then proceeded to fit a 413 Chrysler V8 into it. ;D

So it was probably able to climb a hill at over 35mph and not enrage everyone behind you? ;)
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2023, 03:46:50 pm »
Beach Boys song Steve about a race with a Stingray and 413. Bet you know the lyrics and can sing along ! 

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2023, 05:13:20 pm »
413 went away in 1964?...thinking they just bigger bored it and added the infamous Hemi cylinder head and you got good ole 426!  I remember my buddy had a '62 Imperial Crown with a 413...ample torque for that 5500lb car
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2023, 09:02:51 pm »
The 413 wedge was introduced in 1959 as a replacement for the 392 first generation Hemi, and was made through 1965, when it was replaced by the 440. There was also a 426 wedge in the early '60s, but they were fairly rare. Like Sean said, the differences in displacement were due to the bore; the stroke was the same at 3.750". (The 2nd gen 426 Hemi shared the same stroke and basic dimensions, but the block was modified for the extra bolts on the Hemi head, as well as added strength.)
There were two versions of the dual-quad ram intakes on the 413s as mentioned in the song. One had long runners that placed the carb feeding the right bank on the left of the left side valve cover, and vice-versa for the other carb, which favored torque, and a short runner version more like a conventional cross-ram that favored higher RPM horsepower.
The engine in the first two b&w pics was from a 1959 New Yorker, that was handed down to my mom. I was given the engine before I hauled the rest of the hulk to the junkyard. It was rated at 350 HP, at 4800 RPM, and had a dual-point distributor, which increases the dwell time. I smoked the bearings in that engine at the drag-strip; a later autopsy showed oil starvation due to an improperly fit windage tray (Hey, I didn't know I was supposed to modify it before installing it. >:()
The engine in the newer pics is a 1965 413, that came out of a Chrysler wagon. I traded a hacked-up-into-a baja bug for it. It also had a dual-point distributor, and with a tachometer drive provision! The pad on the block was stamped 413 HP, so it was rated at 360 or 365 HP, depending on the source.
And let's not forget about the little old lady from Pasadena, and her brand-new shiny red Super-stock Dodge. ;D

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2023, 09:38:14 pm »
I just read something about that Beach Boys song a few days ago. Some Mopar dude was all butt hurt that a Vette with a 350 could no way beat a 413! He went into a long analysis of why and wants the Beach Boys to issue an apology for crap talking his beloved Mopar. I guess he doesn't know most of the Beach Boys are dead. Get a grip dude, it is a 60 something year old song by a bunch of kids that couldn't tell you the difference of a flywheel and a fly rod! Cracked me up, he really needed a whaaaaambulance to come and pick him up!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2023, 10:14:38 am »
Scottly I'm liking the plastic stackable chair seats. Did they survive the hard launches? 8)

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2023, 10:17:53 am »
Laundromat chairs, a cheap go to back in the day!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2023, 10:46:59 am »

This is pretty damn great. Mopar or no car!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2023, 11:16:13 am »
Beach Boys song Steve about a race with a Stingray and 413. Bet you know the lyrics and can sing along ! 

Hey Eric...actually not familiar with that one. 

But wish I had a 409!!

Wonder if the Boys had any of these car or just dreamed?!   GTO and T-Bird are a couple others...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2023, 11:24:51 am »

No car for you in MX right, Chicken?!!!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2023, 12:26:32 pm »
Only those with rusty chrome, but tell Delta!  ;D
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2023, 02:22:04 pm »

Man, I was gonna bring my '64 Valiant drop top down but the speed bumps and potholes would have meant a quick but painful death. I don't own a car here, just my 350F and soon 550F (and maybe another 350F? with a 400F engine?). I don't see old cars here like I did in AZ, but for some reason '63 and '64 Valiants are around -- they were the people's car after all, with the Dart. Maybe I'll get one. Although the ubiquitous bugs are cool too...

I drive my wife's car when I need 4 wheels.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2023, 07:14:42 am »
[...]
My family's car growing up in the '60s was a 1959 VW bus. My dad set it up as a camper for all seven of us to sleep in, and it hauled us from California to Colorado and back more than once, as well as a trip to the Seattle Worlds Fair.
Early air-cooled VWs are still quite popular here, even more than SOHC Hondas. ;)
[...]
Scottly, if you had read on the origin of the VW van, meaning, the chasis it was based on, you would realise what an inferior design it was.
Have you never wondered what the engine was doing... in the rear?! Isn't it there, where one is supposed to load the cargo?! ;D Its handling was outright dangerous and many owners have lost their lives in it. Where I lived, the greengrocer and his eldest son were two of them. The only good thing, one can say: it was dead cheap and the only excuse for its poor quality was: WW2 had just ended.
Here two pictures of another dead cheap car, but... contrary to that VW van, its design was ge-ni-al.
In spite of being dead cheap, it nonetheless had independent suspension. Not that many American much bigger cars of that era came even close in this respect. Let me degress here a bit. It's about show vs. quality
I was still in highschool when the Mustang was launched, the car that you Americans loved so much. I remember the review I read in a German car magazine in those years.
"Well, well, what have we here" the German test team wondered.
They flipped the car over to have a closer look.
"What is this?! Spring leafs!? A solid rear axle?!"
"A sportscar?! Hah, not even close, it is not even a spor-ty car. What it is instead, is an ordinary Ford Falcon that... got lipstick on." There's your lipstick, Scottly. The Americans offcourse loved the showboat, but not the Europeans. In spite they were even assembled in The Netherlands for a wile, sales remained low. You know, Europeans mistrust show. They don't want showboats as politicians either. They prefer dull persons as long as they know their business.
Now back to that little French van with its wonderful independent suspension. Also France was ruined by the war, so a car had to be austere. Realise that for the 2CV, the car this van was based on, there was a six year waiting list and even then there was priority for doctors and vets...
Here's an example of that ingenuity. Citroën reasoned: no need for separate front indicators, the one towards the rear can serve as both rear, side and front indicator.  License plate light? Ha, another opportunity to save a bulb, by having just one light in the middle with glass in each side. Brake lights? Just one will do. And don't you love that rear bumper? Wow, there's even two of them! ;)
That 2CV was loved by millions and millions. My brother had the one in the pic in a later version to transport his saxophones. Later he had the 'convertible' ;). It was sooo simple, economical and genial in its design. Robust and reliable too. I have seen a couple succesfully crossing the Sahara desert in one, not that they could carry much more weight than their sleeping bags and toothbrushes in it, mind you, but they made it. They had the later version which had a 26HP 435cc boxer instead of the once original 9 HP 375cc one.
Check this wonderful British understatement advertisement from 12:45 - 13:05 in the The Car's the Star. Just see the fun we had.
You may say it's a crappy car, but, hey, it did what it had to do and above all: it did not pretend. What an intelligent design! That's ingenuity. That's the quality I love.
All those American sportscars shown here, never were succesful here. Not many people wanted to be seen in it. Such cars were associated with vulgar, pimps and men suffering from an inferiority complex. And nowadays it's the same with your trucks. With a few exceptions, people dislike trucks like the Dodge Ram. What a waste of raw materials!
Europeans favour Porsches. Less show, but good quality instead. The same for trucks. People here prefer Toyota Landcruisers.
These American sports cars were ok... as long as you kept going in a straight line, which seems to have always been the ideal of American driving. See that film by Monte Hellman, what was it called? Two-Lane Blacktop or something?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:16:02 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2023, 07:45:01 am »
That's got to be one of the ugliest vehicles ever made. You always blather on about how much better everything european is. You are so full of crap. Is your life's mission to spend all of your time insulting America?

Now you're saying anyone driving an American car are "vulgar, pimps with an inferiority complex".

I don't know what your problem is but you need to keep it to yourself and seek some counselling about your superiority complex. >:(

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2023, 08:12:28 am »
And the reason for the 6 year wait was production issues. No quality assembly and automation. Only handle assembled by the French who prioritize quality and workmanship but instead favor their free time. Now the Dutch, they’re a group who design beautiful things that are well made and implement elegance of simplicity in the aesthetic. A wonderful combination of engineering meets design.

The merits of a rear engine vehicle are too numerous to list. Hence, the multitude of vehicles that have their engine aft of the passengers. Vehicles in this country differ greatly by design because the roadways here are dramatically different than those in Europe. There, the roads tend to be tight, twisty, and by necessity versus planned arteries to connect a vast country with a far larger population density. But those elements escape small-brained skeptics.

Decrying a solid rear axle vehicle that has sold millions upon millions vehicles worldwide is laughable. Agreed, there are better handling suspension designs, but, it’s hard to argue with success versus those pig’s butt ugly Citroens (regardless of their efficacy). I’d rather have my teeth driller than stare at one, let alone find one lurking in my stable. Yeesh!

As for trucks, here in the states, there are a multitude of folks who require the bed space for utility purposes. Like hauling lumber, building materials, large car parts, dirt, dead animals from our savage hunting practices. Things not generally Ali,e in Europe. And sure, there are smaller UTEs available there and here, but it goes back to the road designs. We have the space her for wide roads and wide vehicles. There, not so much.

Different needs for different markets. Not better, not worse. Just different.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis