Author Topic: high flow petcock?  (Read 640 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
high flow petcock?
« on: October 30, 2023, 03:42:30 pm »
 I remember a petcock thread but can't find it anywhere.
 I bought a mid 70's 750K Honda that had a brass pipe x flare adapter screwed onto the tank nipple with a large flare type brass gas cock and 1/4" copper sticking out.
 At any rate, that alerted me to the possibility of using a female flare or pipe thread to get to a better flowing petcock. The project in question will be a larger cc sohc with a turbo. I've been warned that the zenith/bendix carb bowl is notorious for going dry.
 Pingel's web site is pretty vague as far as what fits our stuff. Has anyone found a decent performance petcock that fits any of our tanks? I'll need a 5/16" fuel line going to an electric pump. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: high flow petcock?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 05:58:37 pm »
Don….. from memory; 1975/76 tanks have a fairly large nipple brazed to the tank. It’s got a hole big enough to slip in the screen filter. The petcock is held on with a large gland nut and rubber seal. Might be easiest to use that nut/ sealing washer to hold a piece of flared pipe (or even turn some pipe to resemble the petcock)? Then just add and “in line” shut off?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 08:50:48 pm »
If I recall correctly, Frank used to make adapters that screwed onto the tank nipple, with a copper crush washer, and a tapered pipe thread that a Pingle threaded into.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 07:37:09 pm »
  Exactly what I was thinking thanks for the leads about finding that info.
  I boiled that F gas tank with cleaning vinegar to pre-derust before a finish flush using my expensive evaporust. It turned out the rust is what was keeping the gas in it. L0L.
  I also have a k tank with that same size nipple, I'm thinking it's really close to 3/8" pipe which is also close to AN-6 female flare.

I'll try a 3/8" pipe inlet petcock with a 3/8" pipe coupling screwed directly to the tank.  The 3/8" NPT fitting that's on it now seals well enough to keep the vinegar in it.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 07:43:18 pm by Don R »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 04:47:59 pm »
If I recall correctly, Frank used to make adapters that screwed onto the tank nipple, with a copper crush washer, and a tapered pipe thread that a Pingle threaded into.
Did the same thing....drilled and tapped a piece of aluminum rod and cut some flats into it to be able to tighten it up.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 05:01:14 pm »
  I boiled that F gas tank with cleaning vinegar to pre-derust before a finish flush using my expensive evaporust. It turned out the rust is what was keeping the gas in it. L0L.
  I also have a k tank with that same size nipple, I'm thinking it's really close to 3/8" pipe which is also close to AN-6 female flare.

I'll try a 3/8" pipe inlet petcock with a 3/8" pipe coupling screwed directly to the tank.  The 3/8" NPT fitting that's on it now seals well enough to keep the vinegar in it.

Don,

Chapin Cylinder Head Inc, used gasoline to check for leaks after weld repairing cracks in cast iron cylinder heads and blocks last time I had one repaired. Said gasoline will find a crack cold that won’t show up with water even under pressure cold…not sure about vinegar…
Age Quod Agis

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 06:52:29 pm »
 I'm pretty sure I can make it hold gas, but I do know what you mean.
 I'm seeing some interesting Harley petcocks with 3/8" threads.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 05:51:00 pm »
Guzzler units from Pingle are pricy................I use Fastenall units on the cheap but never fail :D ;D
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 10:34:58 am »

Don,

Chapin Cylinder Head Inc, used gasoline to check for leaks after weld repairing cracks in cast iron cylinder heads and blocks last time I had one repaired. Said gasoline will find a crack cold that won’t show up with water even under pressure cold…not sure about vinegar…

Very true….. I also use Varsol. It will creep into anything.