Author Topic: Engine shipping  (Read 523 times)

Offline twentyover

Engine shipping
« on: October 26, 2023, 05:07:42 pm »
Considering having an engine shipped from WI to WA. Although they appear side by side in a listing of states, they are half the country apart.

Looking for input, advice, information on what it takes to ship an engine (tare wt about 165 lb, gross weight maybe 200-225 lb.) How do you package, use a freight consolidator, ship dock to dock? Never done this before, not a reason to not start now

Offline carnivorous chicken

• Master
Re: Engine shipping
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 05:15:04 pm »
U-ship if you have patience and are flexible. Greyhound if it's going from a hub to a hub.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 06:34:28 pm »
If you can avoid the Residential Delivery Service, which has mysteriously become 5X as much as it has been for 2 decades, you can book thru FreightCenter.com. Of their carriers, R&L Carriers is my #1 recommendation, Old Dominion my #2. The others are hit-and-miss for hitting their delivery dates, and UPS has actually destroyed one engine enroute to me from its owner. XPO Logistics seems to consist of a bunch of computer geeks who are constantly looking online for an available truck driver that is going in their direction, so they have been spotty.

Up until this year, Residential Tailgate Delivery services have been about $50 at either end (this is a truck with liftgate attached so 1 or 2 workers can load/unload heavy things). Now for some reason they have become $250 on average, no explanation(!) given. Locally here in the Colorado area, all of R&L Carriers' trucks have liftgates on them, even their over-the-road rigs.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 11:15:02 pm »
subscribed
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 06:20:49 am »
Last one I shipped (Toronto to Calgary) was via an Edmonton trucker that drives back and forth across Canada! Like U-Ship, we needed to be flexible and no real schedule. His rate was so reasonable that we waited a few weeks.

I picked up used a 2’ X 2’ pallet. Using some scrap lumber and deck screws made up enough blocks to keep the engine secure on centre. One good ratchet strap to keep it tight, and then several rounds of stretch wrap. Worked great and got there safely.

Offline twentyover

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 09:41:51 pm »
Contacted Freightcenter-

They suggest a crate (pallet w/ walls and a top.) Not a problem. I'd like top secure the motor well- does anyone have a drawing of the 550/650 engine mount positions? I can build the crate, send it to the seller, minimize his pain so he's willing to help me out.

Would ship terminal to terminal to minimize deivery cost

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 01:02:27 pm »
Contacted Freightcenter-

They suggest a crate (pallet w/ walls and a top.) Not a problem. I'd like top secure the motor well- does anyone have a drawing of the 550/650 engine mount positions? I can build the crate, send it to the seller, minimize his pain so he's willing to help me out.

Would ship terminal to terminal to minimize deivery cost

I use the thick, heavy-duty right-angle "L" brackets (about $5 each from Home Depot) for holding up 4x4 posts, which have mounting holes thru them that will fit the engine bolts. Then I use 5/16" allthread rod, washers & nuts (instead of the rare and expensive engine bolts) to go thru those holes to hold them onto the engine like 'feet', and then bolt those 'feet' down to the pallet. This puts an 'L'-shaped foot on each corner of the engine, making a nice, solid shipping mount.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline SanDogDewey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 01:14:31 pm »
This shipping container from Uline, although a bit pricey, will keep your engine secure and safe. The engine mount is sold on a couple websites.

Offline twentyover

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 01:53:08 am »
This shipping container from Uline, although a bit pricey, will keep your engine secure and safe. The engine mount is sold on a couple websites.

Thanks SanDog-
The U-line crate looks like it will fill the bill, I can have it sent directly to the seller. Found one engine mount for shipping- it was from the UK, almost a hundred for the bracket and almost sixty for the shipping. Gulp.

Think I will try to get some angle iron and cut it to shape to clear the cases.

Thanks for the input all, this is kind of an education

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 10:14:30 am »
Don't overlook the 4x4 inch heavy-duty L-brackets at Home Depot. They are in the wood department, used for connecting decking posts (4x4) to concreted-in threaded studs. They are 1/8" thick, and the 2 used at the rear will bolt right in and match the rear engine mounts, while you'll have to drill a new hole for the front ones. Much cheaper than the engine stand, unless you go to TCBros Chopper and get a full-U type ($40).

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 06:42:28 am »
U-ship if you have patience and are flexible.

+1 uship.  I used it when I bought a Z1 engine that was in WI and had it shipped to TX.
No special crating was necessary.

https://www.uship.com/ship/
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 09:33:48 pm »
Uship seems to have varied results, I know a member who had couple bad experiences. Just read their feedback and use an established uship provider with good reviews
David- back in the desert SW!