Author Topic: What is the current, best choice for a performance electronic ignition system?  (Read 884 times)

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
I currently have a Dyna S, and 5ohm Dyna coils. This system was the best I could afford/needed on my stock motor at the time.  It’s never skipped a beat, but as I’m in the process of building out my motor, Mrieck head, mega cycle cam, 836cc f2 pistons etc. I’m interested in what is being used on performance/race motors these days. Is the Dyna 2000 still the best? Or is there newer systems that replace it?

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
For my Benelli 750 SEI I bought a unit from Sachse Electronik. It was built to an amazing standard and does away with the mechanical advancer. Came with a small micro processor that offered the standard advance curve and a few more alternatives for more tuned motors…… It was an easy install and brought the bike to life. Instant cold starts were an added bonus.

I have not tried their cb750 unit but based on what I have read and seen, I bet it would be a fantastic option. Surprisingly, I’ve never heard anyone on here that tried one! I plan to use one on my Rickman CR750, just am not there yet. Check it out!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 12:43:47 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
For my Benelli 750 SEI I bought a unit from Sachse Electronik. It was built to an amazing standard and does away with the mechanical advancer. Came with a small micro processor that offered the standard advance curve and a few more alternatives for more tuned motors…… It was an easy install and brought the bike to life. Instant cold starts were an added bonus.

I have not tried their cb750 unit but based on what I have read and seen, I bet it would be a fantastic option. Surprisingly, I’ve never heard anyone on here that tried one! I plan to use one on my Rickman CR750, just am not there yet. Check it out!

Does it mount the processor remotely to beat the heat..? It looks as it might….
Wondering if they offer custom or programmable curve as well..?
Age Quod Agis

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750

Does it mount the processor remotely to beat the heat..? It looks as it might….
Wondering if they offer custom or programmable curve as well..?

Came with a harness, mounted mine behind the battery. It has 5-6 advance curves but I don’t think it’s programmable. Check their website, very complete.

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
Are the Dyna 2000 still popular or are they outdated at this point?

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Popcorn?
I'd suppose that the 'best' electronic system for these bikes might be a qualifier list of features desired.
For me, #1, #2 and #3 on the 4-item list would be 'Reliability'. If it is made in China, that feature will not be anywhere on the list.
But then, I don't race anymore, I just burn up rear tires with road miles. ;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 I'm into the old stuff and am enjoying my Gerex right now. I have no idea how the Rat Race's 750 charging system keeps it lit but so far so good. The PO seemed to believe it could only kick start with the compression and ignition. I put a starter back on it anyway.
 The CDI version of ARD seems to work too but goodness it's large and complicated compared to Hondaman's tiny transistor pack. It's like the Rube Goldberg of ignition systems.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
I don't have a stock points plate any longer, and figured I'd also like to remove the wieghts and springs method of determining the advance curve, to something more modern/adjustable.

Mark your system looks like an elegant solution for removing the condensors from the equation, and is likely great for most applications. But doesn't seem to address what I'm looking for unless I'm incorrect?

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
I don't have a stock points plate any longer, and figured I'd also like to remove the wieghts and springs method of determining the advance curve, to something more modern/adjustable.

Mark your system looks like an elegant solution for removing the condensors from the equation, and is likely great for most applications. But doesn't seem to address what I'm looking for unless I'm incorrect?

All mine really does is to stop the points wear that plagues Kettering Ignition systems, plus it wrings the most out of the coils while also cooling them off a bit: that same trick also makes the coils perform better while the engine is cold.

It doesn't offer things like altered spark curves or their kin. It just follows the mechanical advancer. :)
I have designed the latter (and breadboarded it) specifically for my old Ford LTD fastback (I miss that car...), but ended up just making a regular Transistor Ignition out of it because I couldn't copy the complex 3-stage advance rates of the distributor used in those special FE engines without a microprocessor: the circuit board just got to be too big! :(
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....

I have one for my CBX....it looks like a nice unit. As soon as I put the engine together I'll have more to report. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750

I have one for my CBX....it looks like a nice unit. As soon as I put the engine together I'll have more to report. ;D

Mike….. I’ll be interested to hear how it performs for you. The Benelli had three sets of points and condensers in the same space as my Honda has two. It was a pain to set and didn’t last long. I’m surprised no one has tried their cb750 unit. I might put one on my K1 next Spring.

Offline willbird

• Expert

It looks pretty cool overall. I read through the install questions and they do not explain any way to perform other than  static timing ?

They did say you could send it back to have a different rev limiter setting other than 8900 or 10k RPM.

Bill

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Bill…… On the Benelli I had to hang a degree wheel and fixed pointer on the opposite end of the crank, to fix TDC. Remember, the advancer disappears, so no more marks. From memory I had to mount the rotor so it triggered #1 (on the compression stroke) exactly at TDC (I think a light came ON at the fixed plate). This “teaches” the microprocessor when #1 fires, at TDC. After that, you are done! Since the advancer was gone, I couldn’t check anything with my timing light on that side….. I left the degree wheel and pointer on the other side. Total advance was where I expected. Pulled the wheel and pointer and never touched it again, after that.

Note: this thing is smart enough that at starter cranking speed it fires at TDC. All I had to do was bump the starter button and the bike roared into life instantly.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:51:18 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline willbird

• Expert
It makes sense that once it is setup then it should be good to go virtually forever. The $400+ with shipping is creeping towards a solution like a Microsquirt and a crank trigger wheel, then if you wanted to get uber fancy a cam sensor so you could fire 4 individual sparks not waste spark :-). Also an option then would be to do a "carb cheater" (you can google that) solution where we would jet rich and use an idle air control valve to bleed air in and adjust mixture closed loop.

Bill

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
I wondered if it was smart enough to do that, but then we would need 4 coils?

Online newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
Yup
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline willbird

• Expert

Yes we would. The one I have in hand is this one here. The best solution IMHO is a coil that includes "igniters" far simpler, in simple terms the coil has what amounts to a relay included so that we can fire it with just a logic level signal, we are not switching the full current draw of the ignition coil.

But a nice feature of going full ECM is we can just use waste spark if we choose to, but have 4 individual sparks as a future upgrade option.

Coil on plug as I recall requires removing the tach drive on a CB750, but if we had an ECM we could derive a tach reading from it.

I think we are all smart enough ;-).

Bill

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 I drilled an old crunched and welded dyno cover on the top to add a TDC mark to the rotor for timing an ARD but it has no charging coils in it. A Goldwing style timing window somewhere would be helpful, if only just for our peace of mind.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !

This one looks very good.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.