Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 46080 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2024, 11:39:17 am »
Thanks guys, it’s been a weird summer, only a couple of hot days so far but plenty of rain, hence the need to replace the tarp. I’m glad that the trailer is fixed, as it will come in handy in the next couple of weeks with bikes going out and more bikes coming in. I’m determined to reduce the herd this year but no-one’s got any money so I have at least one swap about to happen, but it should work out in my benefit, more on that later.

It’s going to be hot this weekend so probably no rides happening, and now I’m back at work I’m restricted to weekend riding only. Oh well, 5 down and 19 to go…. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2024, 09:51:25 pm »
url=https://flic.kr/p/2pvnU8G][/url]

Sportster - everything you need, nothing you don't
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2024, 11:19:30 pm »
Hey, hey, hey it was a 54 day here in Ohio.  A chilly and damp 54 degrees F and 54 miles on ride #1 of 2024.  Humidity was around 100% with fog and misty rain most of the day.  The bike is a filthy mess, but I had a great time.  Was a perfect day to try out my new Oxford winter gloves!   ::)  Between the snow melting and all the rain, the rivers and streams are flowing lots of water.

I was even lucky enough to get the CBX out for a few trips up and down the cul-de-sac.  I'm out in the boonies so it's about 1/2 mile long each way.  In the 36 years the bike has been sitting I had forgotten what a sweet ride it is.  It rides, shifts, and sounds as smooth as butter.  I still have a few months to bring everything back up to snuff before good weather.....  can't wait!
where about in ohio?
I'm down around Ironton!
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2024, 11:22:35 pm »
My bikes on the lift with last years daily coming in behind it for repairs. Hoping to be out and riding by march!
pressing with the new house and all its project and kiddos, but enjoying all of it I can while it's here!
slow Progress 74 cb550.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2024, 12:22:27 am »
url=https://flic.kr/p/2pvnU8G][/url]

Sportster - everything you need, nothing you don't

Thanks Greg, I love it, it’ll be 30 in April and still running like a new one. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2024, 11:45:44 pm »
Number 5 is done!

Stats
   Start temp 77°f/ 25° c
   Mid trip.low 56° f / 13° c
   Back home  64° f/  18° c
   Total distance 92mi / 148kms

A few days ago I whacked out my back and missed at least 4 gorgeous days to ride because I was afraid I might drop the bike at a stop or something. I have been checking the weather and it has been less nice every day, I know you guys would sell your first born for one of my " not so nice days" about now, but don't! So the weather witch doctors say rain tomorrow and just about a full week of the wet stuff, which means that today is the day. Because I was so inspired by Budman getting a three-fer last year and seeing that a three-fer this year will be 72 annnnnd because I will turn 72 this year, I figgered that I gotta try. That would average out to 6 rides per month, being this is the last day in January I'm already behind schedule. Enough of that crap.......some ride notes.

Just like so many of my rides, this one started late, unprepared, and no plan. Gas and air check were first up, then by the wee hour of 2p.m. I was on my way..........somewhere. Of course, Ortega Hwy ( being my closest) was it. I think I have posted so many pics of the Lookout that most of you could now point it out in a police line up so I tried to come up with some things on the otherside of the mountian. Because I left so late there was a ton of " going home from work  traffic going the other way, which on a 2 lane mountian road can be a bit unnerving. But hey sometimes you gotta take one for the team, right? I guess I'll just let the pictures be the story , so if there are any questions, then ask away.

As always I hope my pics get you snow men reved up for when the white stuff goes away.

Jgger/ Jim
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 12:05:29 am by jgger »
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2024, 02:27:57 am »
where about in ohio?
I'm down around Ironton!

I'm north of Springfield and south of Urbana.  Google says about 150 miles north of Ironton.  When the weather warms up we should meet up and do some miles together.

Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2024, 02:55:47 am »
where about in ohio?
I'm down around Ironton!

I'm north of Springfield and south of Urbana.  Google says about 150 miles north of Ironton.  When the weather warms up we should meet up and do some miles together.

Don't know if you're a white castle fan but that would be a good spot to meet. In Chillicothe!
Def need to get a ride in together when summer hits!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2024, 12:03:21 pm »
Ride 1 of 2024 :-).
Zip code 43543
Start temp 44 and sunny
End temp 47 and sunny
59 miles

Bill

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2024, 12:10:28 pm »
Welcome aboard Bill! Good start.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2024, 12:25:26 pm »
Welcome Bill, you're not too far up the road from me!  Nice day for Ohio in February.  Lol

It's was a beautiful day in my neighborhood.....

By far the nicest day so far this year.  Ride #3 69+ miles.  It was the Yamaha's turn out of the stable so I meandered around about 20 miles of back roads and stopped for gas.  She had just a bit less than 1/2 a tank when I topped it off, but it needed some fresh stuff to mix with the 3 month old gas in the tank.

Hopped on a short stretch of four lane and did the ton and then some.  This bikes got one of those stupid "Jimmy Carter" speedo's that stops at 85, but there was no doubt we were waaay past that.

Back on some twisty secondary roads & state routes was able to shake off some of the rust.  It's been some time since I've went this long without a proper ride!  For the most part all the road crew grit was gone and I was able to put the Michelin Road Classics to some use.....  not Marc Marquez style or anything, but a good clip.  Fast enought to feel like it was a good and proper ride.

Back down into the 30's for tomorrow, so it's back to the shop!  Got some new rubber for the CBX to install.....

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2024, 01:24:48 pm »
Well done guys, good to see you braving the winter weather and putting up some miles, Frank would be pleased. It’s going to be hot this weekend but I’ll be busy at the swap meet with Spotty, and likely adding a “new” bike to my collection on Sunday as well as losing one, and maybe doing it again next week.

The best news is that the new battery and front brake MC rebuild kit for my long forgotten BMW have arrived, so hopefully Spotty and I can go pick it up and replace the fuel pump and get it going. If so it’ll be featuring in some rides this year as it’s still registered even though it hasn’t turned a wheel since 2015. With some more Ducati parts coming in, I’ll be able to finally make my 916 S4 road legal and back to original, so it’ll be going through the Roadworthy Inspection process and getting registered, and should be a fun bike to ride. It should be an interesting year. ;D

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2024, 03:16:47 am »
Don't know if you're a white castle fan but that would be a good spot to meet. In Chillicothe!

Sounds great, I'll shoot you a PM when it warms up a bit and we'll set something up.   8)  I'm retired, but do a part time thing on Mon & Tue.  Hoping to have plenty of riding days this season!

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2024, 03:19:51 am »
... With some more Ducati parts coming in, I’ll be able to finally make my 916 S4 road legal and back to original, so it’ll be going through the Roadworthy Inspection process and getting registered, and should be a fun bike to ride. It should be an interesting year. ;D

Sounds amazing Terry.  I can't wait to see that 916 on the road.  I've thought many times of finding one myself.  Probably the most beautiful bike ever built!

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2024, 03:49:46 am »

Sounds great, I'll shoot you a PM when it warms up a bit and we'll set something up.   8)  I'm retired, but do a part time thing on Mon & Tue.  Hoping to have plenty of riding days this season!
Sounds like a plan! I'm planning on having a bike ready to rip by mid March!

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2024, 04:38:17 am »
Welcome Bill, you're not too far up the road from me!  Nice day for Ohio in February.  Lol

It's was a beautiful day in my neighborhood.....

By far the nicest day so far this year.  Ride #3 69+ miles.  It was the Yamaha's turn out of the stable so I meandered around about 20 miles of back roads and stopped for gas.  She had just a bit less than 1/2 a tank when I topped it off, but it needed some fresh stuff to mix with the 3 month old gas in the tank.

Hopped on a short stretch of four lane and did the ton and then some.  This bikes got one of those stupid "Jimmy Carter" speedo's that stops at 85, but there was no doubt we were waaay past that.

Back on some twisty secondary roads & state routes was able to shake off some of the rust.  It's been some time since I've went this long without a proper ride!  For the most part all the road crew grit was gone and I was able to put the Michelin Road Classics to some use.....  not Marc Marquez style or anything, but a good clip.  Fast enought to feel like it was a good and proper ride.

Back down into the 30's for tomorrow, so it's back to the shop!  Got some new rubber for the CBX to install.....

Did you look at the forecast for next week ? :-).

Bill

Offline jsmith800

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2024, 11:35:41 am »
May have to get the CB650 out of the garage this weekend.
Northern Wisconsin is also getting those warm numbers.

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2024, 02:12:16 pm »
Some ridin' going on!

I wanted to get out yesterday, but it was cloudy and windy.  Temp was OK.  Same today, but windier.  It's supposed to rain during the night, but tomorrow is looking like it might work.

Jim, if you can get to 72 rides I will gladly handover the trophy.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2024, 05:41:03 pm »
It may or may not happen, just a personal twist on the challenge for me, I was inspired by you. Since I started riding again after my 40 year recess, I always do a birthday ride with a goal of 1 mile per year. When I started doing that 2 years ago that seemed like a good goal. But now after having so much fun on Eeyore the Magnificent ( my FJR ) I have come to realize that is just a start because it's so hard to hold back once I hit the open road!

You are the one that set the awsome standard for ride count, so any award goes to you.so far this year I have been able to log a ride on every page. That means we need either gobs of pages on this thread, or I need to make sure I stay off my rusty duff this year.

I hope the weather and stars start to align for you and we see some cool and awsome reports from Texas. I know that many of you guys are chomping at the bit to get started. I raise a beer to a great riding year for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 05:43:57 pm by jgger »

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2024, 02:47:38 pm »
Ride #4, 98 miles.

I got up this morning thinking I was going to work all day.  About mid-morning I remembered that I was going to try to go for a ride if the weather was nice.  It wasn't ideal conditions, but it seemed good enough.  I got a few things done, mapped out a route, packed a small lunch and headed out about 1:00.  It was a little breezy, a little cloudy, and a little cool.  On my way up to Llano I took a sparrow hit to my throttle hand.  I flock flew up in front of me from the side of the road.  It didn't hurt.  I just wondered if the little guy made it.  From Llano I headed east to Kingsland, where I filled up the tank.  On my way back home, I stopped on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and quickly ate my lunch.  I had gotten a little frustrated because when I stopped to eat, I pulled my glasses out of my jacket pocket only to find my super glue fix had failed and the lense had popped out again (see my post in the "what pisses you off" thread).

The rest of the way home all I pretty much thought about was what I was going to fix my glasses and what to do about getting a new pair.  I hit a few rain drops, which wasn't in the forecast, the clouds got thicker, the wind picked up, and the temperature was starting to drop.

While not what I would call a memorable ride, it was good to get out of the house for little while.  When I got home I busted out the System Three Epoxy and went to work on my glasses.  I'll have to let them sit overnight so the glue can cure.  I hope they hold on until I can get my hands on a new pair.  In the meantime, I have an assortment of cheaters that I find myself swapping often so I can focus on whatever it is I'm looking at.  None of them are working well.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2024, 07:02:19 pm »
Glad you remembered to escape!

Broken glasses suck. The last time mine broke I went back to the cheap glasses place where I bought them to see if I could buy the arm, but they said no. I found the exact frames on display and bought them. The put my lenses in and I was on my way! I need new ones now so these will become my back up pair. What sucks is mine are tri focal and sun sensors..........not cheap.

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2024, 12:15:25 am »
Terry, here's one shot we expect you to have with whatever you ride next year, or drive...
Route 66 welcome to Williams AZ sign... Should make a good postcard if you get someone with a good camera to take it. You know you should consider investing in getting a 20ft connex full of bikes to ship back, or parts as well, and use it to generate some money to pay for your trip after the fact... Your new bike being but one of the bikes that you import. Given that prices of bikes and parts here are so much less than there, you could invest another 2 weeks in the trip to get everything to your shipper or have it staged near the port. Essentially you rent a 20ft cargo connex for someone whom can do the storage, the collect things you ship to them and store them before your arrival. Then you rent a van pull the seats out of it or a truck when here and then go to the local expiditer whom will provide the 20 ft connex that makes the trip and ten has it delivered to your driveway. You unload it or you go collect the contents from a location near the port and then rent another connex at your storage site and offload the stuff into the new storage or wherever you are going to temp store things. Then you restore or flip them and reimburse your account and declare the profits on your taxes and write off the business expenses of the trip to go get your business materials from America and part of the time spent dealing with the logistics of the bikes And parts you shipped back. Basically you build a wooden system of securing the bikes for the sea voyage and put together redundancies in your straps or system to keep bikes from shifting and damage during the rolling seas they might encounter. Palletizing the bikes with metal ratchet strapping holding any wooden framework together works well. These metal straps or today's fiber reinforced plastic strapping today are used in lumber yards for banding lumber shipments to job sites. This should be obtainable...
Just an idea on finding the trip and maybe refilling the retirement coffers.
Buying bikes that don't need a lot of work would be ideal. Buying at the end of the riding season but early enough to get things shipped to your coordinator is ideal...granted it won't be an inexpensive proposition, but if you play it right it could be pretty lucrative given how expensive bikes are there. It would be worth running the numbers to see if it is a hair brain idea or has merit. Ocean freight prices are pretty low again, so if you can take the risk that would be required it could be a way to extend your trip and give you an ability to make a bit of money and gather a few parts more for any bikes you have that need things. You just have to let go of most everything you buy for a flip for it to be  business success and your estimates should be factored conservatively as to what you can make on that end. Then if you can flip it for more, then all the better. It would mean several bikes you would have to do the importation and fees for which you pass along in the sales...
You have the experience on getting things shipped across the US, in terms of parts...
David
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 12:40:07 am by RAFster122s »
David- back in the desert SW!

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2024, 12:57:58 am »
where about in ohio?
I'm down around Ironton!

Oh my sliders...
White Castle is onion burger heaven or hell, depending upon your opinion of grilled onions that are good when you are drunk or they are hot, the grease congeals and they are nasty when they get cold, they are small with lots of onion, think palm sized buns and on those buns is a thick layer of the onions and they are all nice caramelized like they could be were thos a great burger joint.
I'm not a fan of the greasy barely there beef burgers that the burger is equal in onion to ground beef weight...or so it seemed
The joke is people only go to white Castle after having been out on a drinking outing or clubbing with plenty of alcohol consumed. 
Have no idea if police hang out near them but if the rumor is true it might be a good place to hang out near late at night picking up those who drank too much and should have called for a cab that risked driving home. DUI convictions or charges with court costs in the US will run you 15-20k these days, if you are lucky enough to win your case. Gonna cost you that much if you get convicted and far more...
Apparently they were bad enough to have them available in stores all over America now as you can buy frozen versions in the freezer cases at the grocery to microwave them...
Funny thing is Walmart carried them and they also sell their own take on the sliders under the Great Value Walmart brand.

https://www.whitecastle.com/menu

If you like them, nothing against you I like grilled onions but not the amount that is coming in a slider from White Castle. So my disdain is because I don't like that much onion. Far better places to spend your money in my opinion...but taste buds are different for everyone, it won't mean we could not be friends, just I won't be eating if we meet there for a ride, White Castle used to be more of a northern thing in the eastern US but my travels I have seen that range expanded greatly...

I will stick with In N Out Burger or if in LA I will also hit up Fat Burger... Heck Really burgers used to be good if you wanted an artery killer...they definitely were that...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 01:04:04 am by RAFster122s »

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2024, 01:02:58 am »
where about in ohio?
I'm down around Ironton!

Oh my sliders...
White Castle is onion burger heaven or hell, depending upon your opinion of grilled onions that are good when you are drunk or they are hot, the grease congeals and they are nasty when they get cold, they are small with lots of onion, think palm sized buns and on those buns is a thick layer of the onions and they are all nice caramelized like they could be were thos a great burger joint.
I'm not a fan of the greasy barely there beef burgers that the burger is equal in onion to ground beef weight...or so it seemed
The joke is people only go to white Castle after having been out on a drinking outing or clubbing with plenty of alcohol consumed. 
Have no idea if police hang out near them but if the rumor is true it might be a good place to hang out near late at night picking up those who drank too much and should have called for a cab that risked driving home. DUI convictions or charges with court costs in the US will run you 15-20k these days, if you are lucky enough to win your case. Gonna cost you that much if you get convicted and far more...
Apparently they were bad enough to have them available in stores all over America now as you can buy frozen versions in the freezer cases at the grocery to microwave them...
Funny thing is Walmart carried them and they also sell their own take on the sliders under the Great Value Walmart brand.

https://www.whitecastle.com/menu
Closest one is about 90 minutes from me a direction I have no reason to go most of the time so they are a treat. The frozen ones just lack the flavor.

To each their own I've been a fan for almost 20 years. I try to stop at one at least once a year. Missed last year unfortunately.

The one closest to me I've only seen cold near it once but I always went on a weekday night or early morning.

From what I've heard ( not researched and co formed for myself ) their burgers are QA rejection from the same plants that produce Patties for Wendy's.  Not sure but I like them a lot better that the ole redhead anyways.

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2024, 01:41:18 am »
Gurp, yeah Wendy's sure ain't what it one was either...
I got nothing against anyone who likes them...I really don't, I'm a likeable fellow most of the time. I'm not a judgy type either as I grew upoor and never had much wealth but I'm richer in other ways. Granted my conservative view points don't align with most and I'm not stupid, I know what Trump is and isn't and he certainly isn't a nice guy, but I just have view I feel strongly about we won't talk about and while I have strong opinions on our current president I try to discern the measure of a man by their actions and how they treat others. I may not like them but there are decisions you make  for your friends and who you hang out with and chose to be around. As those you keep company with are going to influence you for either good or bad. Just like what you consume into your body does the same, whether you are feeding it to your mind or your body.
I appreciate beauty where I find it, be it in some function over form MC or in nature or in a friend whom may not be beautiful by the way the world judges outward beauty, the soul and what is inside far outstrips that if physical beauty in the long run. You grow to see the inward beauty when you see them, not the beauty that fades with time and years and women try to cling to and chase after...
A friend and their care and love for others is a thing of beauty too.
The love a man has for his kids and wife and the faithful ess he has for her is another form of something beautiful and sometimes in short supply. Some of the smartest people I know are not highly educated and likewise some of the stupidest people I know are highly educated... I have known men who were brilliant and worked with their hands all their life, they were a beautiful person on the inside and they were people whom I have had the pleasure of knowing and learning from...
People will surprise you sometimes...sometimes they let you down and sometimes they don't want to and it breaks something inside them when they cannot do what they know they want to do...