Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 46135 times)

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2024, 12:10:40 pm »
0 degrees Celsius! +2 today and I’m going out on the Goldwing for a zip..

Brrrrrrrrrr  40 °F is my cut off point.  I've got enough gear to stay fairly warm at that temp, but not below that.....
Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2024, 01:22:10 pm »
That’s a magnificent CBX Dennis, I’ve never owned one, but would love one! :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2024, 02:09:36 pm »
Right on, Dennis. You got the 6-shooter out for a run, congrats.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2024, 02:25:09 pm »
I'm trying not to be jealous of your CBX because we have a great selection of bikes to choose from but it's really hard. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2024, 06:21:02 pm »

Stu, I forgot to add......if I had more than 1 bike I would offer you a ride. I'm only about an hour up the 15 frwy from San Diego.  Hope you get that first ride soon.

No problem. I've run up your way many times. I used to meet up with Ted at Cars and Coffee on my wing occasionally and rode the Ortega many times.
I think my friend in Escondido has a few to ride.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2024, 04:08:20 am »
I want one too!! ;D

Skickat från min CPH2581 via Tapatalk

CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2024, 12:30:21 pm »
Ride 4 in the books with my wife today, +10 C and 110km.
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2024, 12:37:03 pm »
That's dedication! If this is what the winter produces for rides, then this thread may explode when things warm up.

Way to go lash.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2024, 01:44:29 pm »

Thanks Terry.  Perhaps when you're all caught up on projects and have thinned down your stable, and are enjoying your retirement years, you'll run across one to have a go at!  It's never too late to start an new adventure!!!

Right on, Dennis. You got the 6-shooter out for a run, congrats.

Thanks Jim.  Having it back in working order has been a long time coming.

I'm trying not to be jealous of your CBX because we have a great selection of bikes to choose from but it's really hard. 8)

Thanks Kelly.  I feeling is mutual my friend.  That's some fantastic stable of bikes you have to choose from.

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2024, 01:58:08 pm »
Thanks mate, I probably have enough projects to keep me busy until I’m 100, but if a CBX followed me home, I wouldn’t shoo it away! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2024, 02:03:07 pm »
I had another super fun day playing with the bikes again today.  Ride #7 100+ miles between the Turbo and the CBX.

It was so nice today I was wearing my summer gloves.  No destination in particular just more twisty back road adventures.  Almost no traffic in the early afternoon as folks are at work and the farms folks are enjoying winter.  You can see from the map, I was all over the place.

62.5 miles on the Turbo and another 50 something on the CBX.  Our weather starts heading back towards normal tomorrow so I'm not sure if I can squeeze one more in or not.   :P

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2024, 02:38:45 pm »
Nice meandering Dennis!  It seems like your weather is better than out here on the left coast. Just when I thought we were over the hump, this comes rolling over the mountian. But the cold snap is headed your way next week.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2024, 06:15:25 pm »
Ride #6 today, temps got up to 61 °F.  Not bad for February in Ohio!  59.8 miles for the ride, bike turned over 13000 total miles.  Was just taking it easy on the local back roads.  Clutch is still trying to free up and is pretty rattly.  Over-all, the bike runs great, didn't take it over 5K on the tack or 70mph.  The new rubber is grippy in the corners, but seems to wander a bit on the straights.  Might have been wind though, it was gusting pretty hard.

Might get in another ride as they are calling for showers this evening with temps getting close to 60 again tomorrow.  Snow and more normal temps coming back by Monday though.

Hey Dennis, the volt meter is reading below 12V at idle. Have the alternator brushes been replaced yet? It's a weak point on the CBX; two of my buddy's '79s charging systems failed on the same day due to a worn outer brush. Both bikes had about 8000 miles at the time.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2024, 04:26:16 am »
Hey Dennis, the volt meter is reading below 12V at idle. Have the alternator brushes been replaced yet? It's a weak point on the CBX; two of my buddy's '79s charging systems failed on the same day due to a worn outer brush. Both bikes had about 8000 miles at the time.

Hahaha, good eyes!  They have not, but a full alternator service is next on the list of things to do.  I'm planing to clean and replace the brushes, and also shim the clutch to basically disable it so it doesn't destroy the coupling plates.  I have been told that some third-party brushes are too hard and will damage the alternator, and that the 1mm washer used in the oil filter is perfect for shimming the coupling plates.

Currently the alternator is working correctly and charges great once the RPMS increase, but as you point out, those brushes have to be close to being worn out.  I haven't run it at high speed for any length of time to see if it is showing signs of alternator clutch issues.  I have spoken with Mike Nixon about the charging system and plan to purchase his booklet before I start work on the system.

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2024, 04:36:20 am »
Nice meandering Dennis!  It seems like your weather is better than out here on the left coast. Just when I thought we were over the hump, this comes rolling over the mountian. But the cold snap is headed your way next week.

Thanks Jim.  I've been trying to treat the CBX kinda like it is new and going through a break in period.  With that in mind, I thought country back roads with stop and start, slow and fast would be a good place to accomplish that.  At the time, I didn't realize the Google Time-Line would look like a lost delivery driver!  LOL

Sorry to hear your weather is not cooperating.  I've just been really lucky that we have had this nice weather to get my fix for riding.  I'll be able to go back to the shop with a smile on my face.   ;)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2024, 02:47:53 pm »
At Paris is a lovely little town and has some cool houses, would make a nice backdrop to photo the bike parked at the curb in front of the Victorian style old build or some of the nice brick ones. My ex’s grandfather lived in a small town across the line from Indiana but Maps is not helpful and I forget the name of it.  The restored train station in Winchester is a lovely building and became a community art gallery, her maternal grandmother was an artist and was instrumental in helping get the train station restored abd they held a huge celebration of the building completion while we were married and she a was still alive and the art guild had a nice art show during the celebration. We attended the show and celebration. The tracks are gone and it isn’t a fantastic structure, but it was nice, odds it would make a nice photo backdrop.  Lots of restored train stations in Indiana that are not used because passenger rail is all but dead in US other than Amtrak and local touristy train businesses. The later of those often have cool little decorated train stations as they are being used frequently and tend to have the train station either be a historic look inside or they have gift shops renting space in them these days. Some opt for buildings adjacent for these little revenue enhancing shops operated or taking a portion of the til selling their tshirts and memorabilia merchandise. Lots of these small rail lines that are touristy types operate in good weather or while the tracks are cleared, there’s one that apparently is sharing the rails in Colorado with freight traffic as they are doing valentines week & weekend afterwards romantic themed $$ and $$$ depending upon the class of passenger cars. The dining car experience of course being $$$$ as the couple share a expensive meal white table cloth and candle and alcohol type experience…
One in Great Smokies is not geared for the dining car but their passenger cars are built for volume apparently. The Colorado one is more historically with the classs of cars like long ago and of course it is far more expensive an experience. Piqua, used to have Hamilton-standard aircraft prop plant. It still have that?  Richmond has a Pizza King location with a double decker British bus that has seating inside and a church stained glass window built into the side of the structure with lots of Tiffany style lamp shades that are vintage and ornate and had porch swings at some of the booths years ago. The bbq sauce pizza with beef and pepperoni with lots of sauce on their thin crust pizza was delicious!. The sauce is something special smoking and tangy and sweet and the pepperoni is chopped into tiny cubes.  Not a ton of cheese on it but man was it good pizza! The pizza kings in Richmond all did that pizza but the one off us40 and I70 wasn’t interesting but you could get that great pizza. The round pizza was cut in small squares. A Large or xtra large was often a to go order and we ate in the car often headed back to Columbus area where we lived. Wife grew up near Lynn, IN and Crete grain elevator was across from their house off Arba Pike road. That road is a nice MC road out of Richmond headed towards Lynn pick up Arba Pike and it goes through Crete and lots of nice farm houses and few barns. The major road towards Greenville and across Ohio towards Columbus we would take that scenic route  rather than the bumpy expansion joint I70 before they rebuilt it… likely has not fared great in the last 20 years since they redid it as those expensive rebuild infrastructure jobs don’t happen and they didn’t build it to last 100 years. The original interstate system were built to do military infrastructure support being a backbone of roads capable of supporting heavy military equipment movement in case anyone invaded or another war required mobilization that wasn’t done entirely by rail and air. Rail dying for passengers wasn’t anticipated and bus and airlines and military air transport have replaced a lot of that.

Nice photos Dennis, always loved the CBX and favor the naked red or white full-faired ones. Never been a black car or bike kinda guy. Metallic Charcoal is a nice color on cars and bikes…just doesn’t have long wearing paint anymore. The old Volvo solid color, non metallic and non clear coated ain’t used that was an enamel was long wearing stuff. Don’t know what paint company they used but they put several thick coats on and it would polish up nice and could be buffed back to high luster if you kept up with waxing it it rewarded you with a nice looking car, other than slow and boxy. Drove and maintained 240 Volvos for 26 years, overbuilt well engineered for longevity if you maintained them and easy to put 250k before motor required much other than timing belt and cooling system and AC and alternator work. Steering racks and pumps would be a problem frequently but if you changed pumps and rack with remanufactured rack and got the CAM_Gear rack you could adjust rather than the ZF rack you were better off. Tropical 4 row radiator was best replacement radiator… then bolstering heavy duty shocks and struts and heavier sway bars and bigger rear bar too or ipd sway bars were way to go for flat cornering well handling corner carving road car, yes it handled curvy roads well when you put a good H or V rated rubber on the car you had a car that carried corner speed far better than many cars on the roads abd was fun to drive faster through the corners. The Police Interceptor of 2000 and later Crown Victoria had that same firm suspension flat cornering I loved…just didn’t like the fuel economy of the PI cars, after 2005 the Criwn Vic PI trim P71 if I recall correctly was a much faster car abd handled well. The last years of production Crown Vic SE models were all the cop car nice suspension with luxury civilian interiors and alloy wheels, friend has the last year Crown Vic, great road car and good fuel economy and super roomy. He has the nickname of Two Wheel Timmy as he had a Volvo 264 and the front and rear wheel (opposite corners) would be off the ground SCCA auto-crossing the car.
Tim knows how to setup and tune the suspension on cars abd then the mechanical upgrades in motor or otherwise to get better performance. VX3 camshaft from IPD gave you a smog compliant motor and even in cali if everything was in good tune and operating correctly it passed California emissions. If it failed you could always pop the original camshaft back-in in about 3 hours and then swap it back to the VX3. I liked the K grind camshaft on the dual DCOE Weber or Dual SU HS6 B20 built to the  71 142E spec but carbureted…unless you had access to a D-Jetronic FI system to drop into a 122S or P1800 or a true 142E 2 door with rally upgrades in suspension…
The fun cars of Volvos history…
Yeah Volvo drivers are typically rolling hazards and slow people and old people afraid of dying… and the politically liberals in America tend to love Volvos. Not always a liberal behind the wheel of one, but often that is the demographic that tended to own them and Saab.
Just an observation…

I drove Volvos because of the longevity and liked the engineering and design and safety philosophy that kept my family safe and at the time the fuel economy was nice, 25-28 mpg on trips when manual gearbox was in the 240 sedans and wagons about 3-4mpg lower on trips because of added weight of glass and less efficient box aero, but you could carry a lot in one if we’re moving across country or needed to carry a lot.

Dennis, contact Nils Menton, he used to be active here, I think I have his FB ID and can be found there in Honda mc owners group, he should be able to direct you on parts as he and his buddy regularly pick up CBXs and restore them and flip them…
Not sure if he is still traveling to Boston for the company after shutting down RestoCycle but he maintains the space still. Wish he were still distributing & selling the IKons I need a set for my cb550 but don’t have that kinda money.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 02:56:23 pm by RAFster122s »
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2024, 02:30:49 am »
Well it was a stinking hot day today (still in the high 80's as I type this at 9pm) but yesterday was a bit cooler. I wanted to do some bike work on the two Ducati's before I went for a ride, so didn't get out on the road until 1pm. My original intent was to take my Suzuki T500 after filling the tank with 98 Ron fuel after the pinging episode last time I rode it, I'd forgotten that my barrels have been heavily ported and it has "squish" heads, so the guys on the T500 forums told me to try upping the octane to see if it'd make a difference. Last ride my brake light switch fell apart so I installed another one that I found in one of my tubs, but it didn't work at all, so I left the Suzy for another day. The storage unit looks a bit bare now that the big black Rocket III has gone, even without fairings and bags, it certainly took up a lot of space.

Sportster Saturday 10 Feb 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The Sporty was closest to the door, and even though I haven't fixed the speedo yet, I've pretty much worked out what (approximate) speed I'm doing in top gear, and being such a torquey engine there's never much need to drop it down any gears unless I'm going thru a town, in which case I just pootle along and hope I'm not speeding. I deviated slightly from my favourite route, and found another nice spot for some pics.

Sportster Saturday 10 Feb 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I rode back thru Kilmore, and was happy to see my favourite eatery open for the first time this year. The owner told me that he'd just come back from India, and I'm happy that he's back, he's a lovely bloke. I sat outside with a cigarette or two while I waited for my small meal of dim sims with soy sauce. No big fancy burgers etc, but I could just manage 3 of the delicious little suckers, so I guess I'm a cheap date. (unless they serve alcohol, of course....)

Sportster Saturday 10 Feb 2024 9a by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Sportster Saturday 10 Feb 2024 9b by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

It was good to stop and have a small break, as I was a bit sore. The ride back home was great, warm but not hot, and apart from a couple of bugs that were wedged between my face and helmet due to me riding at 60 MPH with my visor up (I hate sharing helmet space with bugs, especially spiders and wasps, etc) it was very pleasant. Ride #6 down, woohoo, 25% and it's only February. More to follow, on some different bikes. ;D

Sportster Saturday 10 Feb 2024 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2024, 10:25:08 am »
Good you got out, Terry. I like the landscape pics, they look very simular to here in California, but we have everything from Alpine to Beach to Desert!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2024, 01:05:39 pm »
Good you got out, Terry. I like the landscape pics, they look very simular to here in California, but we have everything from Alpine to Beach to Desert!

Thanks Jim, I thought about that and we definitely have Alpine and beach, then I remembered that we even have a Little Desert. I can walk to the beach from my office, and back when I was younger and fitter I’d run to the beach, have a swim, then run back again.

Victoria is only a small state, but Melbourne’s population has surpassed Sydney in recent years so the bad part about that is that if I wanted to ride to one of our many beaches from home I’d have to take the freeway (yawn, may as well be driving a car for that level of excitement) plus of course on a nice summer day the freeway (ugh, vomit) is full of cars packed with pissed off families. Once I get the DT250 on the road though, I’ll do some commuting to work (35miles each way) and detour down to the beach and take some pics.

Closer to my home town we have both beaches and mountains, Mount Hotham even has snow in the winter, but once again, to get there you have to take meth to stay awake on the freeway system to get there, then of course you’re jammed in amongst cars full of pissed off families again.

Once I’m retired and have more time for riding I’ll venture further afield (even if it means taking the freeway, yawn…) but until then I’ll stick with my favourite backroads, and leave that up to the tourists. ;D

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2024, 03:12:41 pm »
Wow, that sucks. We can leave the shop and ride 7 miles east, cross over the freeway and ride to Missoula Montana and further without getting on the freeway. We plan all of our long distance rides to not get on a freeway. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2024, 04:24:23 pm »
Yeah mate, I still probably have to do 20 freeway miles on each of my 100+ mile rides, but I just don’t like sharing the freeway with loads of cars, trucks, idiots towing boats and caravans etc. I got hit by a car towing a caravan who turned left from the right lane back in ‘85 on my ride to the Bathurst Easter TT, and was lucky that traffic had slowed right down when he decided to turn into a gas station and “Didn’t see me”.

Luckily I was riding my (much missed) Yamaha XT500 and we both bounced off his fender with no damage to the bike and just a sore knee for me. His loudmouth wife started abusing me until I mentioned that my knee was hurting and I might need to talk to my (non existent) lawyer when he told her to “shut the fcuk up and get back in the car” before apologising to me. Motorcycles are hard enough to see when folks like you and I are actually looking for them, as opposed to car and truck drivers with tunnel vision. ;D

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2024, 11:49:57 pm »
Well today was Superbowl Sunday, and since I really don't care much for football, be it with a round ball or a pointy ball. So what's a kid to do? I know go for ride # 7 and write up a too long report AND post too many pictures, so here it goes.

We finally got a break in the storms that have been kicking Southern California's butt  with floods and mud slides so #7 was in order. Not a cloud in the sky, hardly any wind, and a 68°f/ 20°c temp at 1:30 woo hoo! I started off thiking I would ride down to the Palm Springs Ariel tramway because the temps for this afternoon looked good. I went up the back way past Lake Mathews and rode by the March Air Museum and stopped for a few quick pics, they have a bunch of planes there and it was just a quick stop with pics through the fence. March field used be home of a refueling wing for the Air Force, I think it is just for reserves now though. They have Air shows there still and I have seen the THUNDERBIRDS and a decommissioned SR-71.

Anyway it was back on the freeway, through the Badlands, Beaumont, and Banning, past the Indian Casino and on to Whitewater for  short stop at the rest area to consume some cookies and coffee. I knew that I had passed the turn for the tram, which is off of Hwy 111 so a quick check of the map for an alternate route said get off at the Whitewater off ramp, this started the rusty wheels turning in my little brain. I have been wanting to go check out the bridge that was washed out in 2020, so my variable A.D.D. kicked in and the tram was soon forgotten. But it was replaced with an exploratory trip up Whitewater Canyon in Cabazon. Whitewater is a year round river  just a bit north of Palm Springs and there was, up until a few years ago, a Trout hatchery.  The hatchery and surrounding area is now a preserve. It is about 4 or 5 miles into the canyon with a day use picnic and hiking area that is gorgeous. I poked around for a bit then they were getting ready to close the gates for the day, so I had to skidattle,  but I will go back another time. So I headed back out and stopped for a few pics then pointed it toward home.

All in all it was a great ride and way better than being stuck in front of the T.V. watching a game I couldn't care less about!

Stats:
   Start time.         1:30
   Start temp.         68°f/20°c
    Coldest temp.   51°f/10°c
    Home temp.       57°f/14° c
    Total distance.   154mi/ 248kms 

And now for too many pics😁

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:04:40 am by jgger »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2024, 01:17:07 pm »
Well done Jim, my wife loves to watch the Superbowl but I have no interest either, so as it was almost 100 degrees again yesterday (and will be today as well) I watched YouTube videos whilst “working from home”. It’s going to cool down from tomorrow so hopefully I’ll get a ride in on the weekend and get my “new to me” Ducati running before I start stripping it down to clean and paint some parts on it to slowly bring it back to “presentable” condition, and do some work on the DT250 as the parts slowly arrive. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2024, 01:53:40 am »
Well #7 is done and dusted, and what a great ride I had. I still don't have a working brake light switch on the foot pedal on my Suzuki T500 but the front one still works, so good enough for shakedown ride #2 since I got it legally on the road. Last weekend I added 5 litres of 98 RON fuel to the tank in the hope that the pinging would be reduced, and was happy that it didn't ping half as much as on my last ride, so as the other fuel in the tank is at least 9 months old, I reckon a full tank of 98 will fix it.

I always worry about any bike I put together, so I decided to take the main roads in case I needed to get it towed home. I rode to Wallan, then on to Kilmore for my meagre lunch, but so far, so good, it was running well, and I had several admirers when I parked it next to my favourite cafe. One old guy wouldn't take the hint that I was keen to eat my lunch and I almost had to tell him to fcuk off, but he was harmless, just wanted to talk about bikes.

T500 Sunday 18 Feb 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

T500 Sunday 18 Feb 2024 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyway, I had my lunch and a couple of cigarettes, and was happy that the bike fired up on the first kick. I headed back via Wandong and Eden Park, and did some dirt road scooting, which is great fun on this bike because it's just like an old 2 stroke dirt bike on steroids.

T500 Sunday 18 Feb 2024 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I rode back to the storage unit and as I was riding the last few miles I looked down and thought that I must tighten the header bolts, as it looked a bit loose on the right header. Turns out one of the bolts had fallen right off! Did I tighten those bolts when I built the bike? I don't remember.

Anyway, I managed to do just under 100 miles today, and really enjoyed it. I think the ol' T500 wil feature in a few more rides this year. ;D

T500 Sunday 18 Feb 2024 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2024, 03:34:55 am »
Nice, Terry. It looks like the temps were in your favor and the weather is beautiful. How loud is that Suzi, I bet it sounds pretty snappy. I must confess, I do have a soft spot for 2 strokes.