Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 46190 times)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
#10  85km
I intended to ride longer after work but I was too tired. Looked forward to a beer with dinner at home ;D

Weather was perfect for riding, 21-22*C.

The country roads that start max 2 km from  home.
Over Ramnäs - Salbohed- and back home.
A Train stopped me again, this time a short and fast one ;)
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
Great rides guys!  I've been known to stuff things inside my jacket when all else fails.....  LOL

Well today was my ride #24 in 2024!  Right at 90 miles in 90F heat.  It really didn't seem too hot though.  I broke down last year and purchased some summer riding gear and stopped wearing my RevIt! "4 Season" gear in the summer heat.

Took a ride north to Sidney Ohio to see the Big 4 Bridge.  And boy is it BIG!  https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=ohio/bigfour/

Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Online newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
Great rides guys!  I've been known to stuff things inside my jacket when all else fails.....  LOL

Well today was my ride #24 in 2024!  Right at 90 miles in 90F heat.  It really didn't seem too hot though.  I broke down last year and purchased some summer riding gear and stopped wearing my RevIt! "4 Season" gear in the summer heat.

Took a ride north to Sidney Ohio to see the Big 4 Bridge.  And boy is it BIG!  https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=ohio/bigfour/

Congratulations on your 24 in 2024
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline willbird

• Expert

That would be a 112 mile trip one way for me, not TOO bad :-).

Bill

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Very nice, I have seen that bridge a time or two, my ex wife’s grandfather lived near Sydney… it is very cool, was 20-25 years ago when I last saw it.

Congrats on the rides guys…

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Way to go Dennis.
That is one big bridge.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline jgger

• Master
You guys are making me feel like a real slacker, great job on everyone's rides and nice pictures too. Congratulations on number 24 Dennis.

I did manage to get out on Sunday for # 17 and thought I better write it up before it expires. I haven't been very motivated lately but reading everyone's stories has given me a little push to get out. So Sunday I did a late start ( 3:00 o'clock) and had no idea where to go. I decided that running some errands sounded pretty exciting and after the thrill of getting gas, going to the ATM machine at my bank, then paying my internet bill wore off I was left wondering what could possibly top this? That told me I NEEDED a ride and the best I could come up with was to let the front wheel and handle bars be my compass or guide. Now being armed with a "plan", I headed off for Nirvana or Valhalla, or Middle Earth, and it didn't really matter and I was moving. I seem to gravitate to Ortega Hwy when I'm short on time or daylight and wouldn't you know it, that's where I went!  I did have half baked plans for a longer ride but being the slacker that I am, that wasn't going to happen, plus I didn't want to deal with the freeway traffic to make that a reality and I didn't feel like even taking pictures.

Being in the bummer mood I was in, I figured that this would be a head clearing session. I grabbed my thermos full of coffee and went straight for the rest area/trail head at the top of the mountian. I really do enjoy the sanctuary inside my helmet with the sound of the wind and hum of the motor playing in my ears, it refreshes me to my core. That and just watching things like the moon rising over the mountian in full daylight, or the flock of Turkey Vultures combing the hills for dinner, it doesn't get much better than that. There is a selfish part of me that wants to keep all of this to myself which is probably why I really enjoy solo riding so much, while on the other hand I want to share it too,  weird huh. Come to think of it, this is why we ride. Some people will never understand it, but I think you guys just might get it.

Enough of that philosophical stuff, how about a few stats and very few pics?

Ride # 17.         72 miles/ 116 kms
   Start temp.    77°f/25°c
   Mid trip.         63°f/17°c
   Home.            73°f/°23°c
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Well done Dennis! It's been a couple of week's since ride #20, sadly I blew my white BMW up (big time) on Mother's Day, so last weekend Spotty and I picked up and am in the process of tidying up another engine to replace it with. Today I had to drive some military equipment to one of our sub contractors 100 miles away, leaving at 5 am. I got home around lunchtime and as the wife was out, I decided that a ride was in order. I've been ignoring my Triumph, but on a cold day (57 deg F) it's very nice, with the heat from the radiator blowing over my legs.

I took a different route, and ended up doing a big loop of around 80 miles. I'd had breakfast on my way back home this morning so didn't stop for anything, but I actually found a Taco Bell restaurant not far from my place, so I'm going to stop there on my next ride and see if it's better than some of the other sh1t masquerading as semi authentic Mexican food here. Taco bell was in Sydney in 1980/81 when I was posted there and I enjoyed it, then they went broke and left Oz, but I read that they were coming back, so am quite excited!

Anyhoo, had a great ride, should have worn warmer clothing, but it wasn't raining, so I'm happy. 21 down, 3 to go. ;D

Rocket III ride 22 May 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Rocket III ride 22 May 2024 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
Thanks guys!  We had a very nice spring this year and that aided me greatly.  I was hoping to head down into southern Ohio for ride #24, but I just wasn't feeling it.  There's lots of good riding weather coming so I'll make it eventually.  LOL

Love the picture Kevin!

Sorry to here about your BMW Terry, but it's great to hear from you.  I was beginning to wonder if everything was okay.
Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
Congratulations on getting to #24, Dennis.  Photos look cool.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
I like to see all ride photos. Beautiful and mighty views.
I somehow missed the good looking silver CB750.

Ride 11 today, 89 km.
A ride before the weekly visit at the nearby motorcycle club. Their burgers are tasty. I arrived a little late.
Long queue to the grill, had to wait for my  burger.
Most people left the place before I took the photos.

Today an oil level check ride.
I had removed the oil pan, looked inside if pump strainer was free from debris.

Could not be cleaner. I changed the relief valve spring. Original back in for higher pressure. Closer to 80 than 70PSI at a cold start.

Guess that oil pan contained almost 1/4 oil so refilled with an old bottle of Red Line Motorcycle oil 20W-50.

Dip stick  show oil level at max wich I prefer. (If 5mm over even better ;D  )

Rode on my favourite road. Today stopped at different locations than before for photos.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
#7. Complete outlaw today. Picked the K8 up from being “Safety Checked” (it’s SOLD) and took it for a nice long run (on a +10 year old plate). Quiet, strong and ran perfectly. The fellow that bought it is getting a really solid bike. Delighted it will be getting ridden again!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Well done John, good to see that all the snow has gone away and you can get some rides in again. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Well done John, good to see that all the snow has gone away and you can get some rides in again. ;D

Thanks Terry! Perfect weather this week. That’s my first SOHC cb750 and a bit sorry to see it go, but it (and the K7) have been parked for +10 years. Time to move on!

Offline willbird

• Expert
#7. Complete outlaw today. Picked the K8 up from being “Safety Checked” (it’s SOLD) and took it for a nice long run (on a +10 year old plate). Quiet, strong and ran perfectly. The fellow that bought it is getting a really solid bike. Delighted it will be getting ridden again!

Bike looks really nice :-).

Bill

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan

Aren’t there twins in your garage John?
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
Me too I guess John! Took the 71 750 down for the safety today. Last ride for me on this bike as the new owner will pick it up tomorrow. Did 109 mi. for ride #43. Sad to see it go but the buyer will baby it so I’m happy.
Analog mind in a digital world..

Online newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
Lash and John
Do you have to get a safety check before you sell a bike there as part of a sale?
Here in NH the safety is only good for the current owner until he sells a vehicle and then the new owner has to go within 10 days to get it inspected.
Stu
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
Either the buyer or the seller can get the safety but it won’t get the new registration without one.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Either the buyer or the seller can get the safety but it won’t get the new registration without one.

Oddly enough, you can own and ride the same bike for 20 years without a check. It’s basically a cash grab at every sale. It should keep unsafe vehicles off the road, but frankly “where there’s a will, there’s a way”.

Offline lash

• Hot Shot

Oddly enough, you can own and ride the same bike for 20 years without a check. It’s basically a cash grab at every sale. It should keep unsafe vehicles off the road, but frankly “where there’s a will, there’s a way”.
Don’t forget the taxes every time it changes ownership!!

Online newday777

• Really Old Timer ...

Thankfully there isn't sales tax here in NH! And registration is very cheap on these bikes, like $10/yr for antique motorcycle
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750

Thankfully there isn't sales tax here in NH! And registration is very cheap on these bikes, like $10/yr for antique motorcycle

We get +13% with every breath!

Offline willbird

• Expert
5-23-2024 80 miles #17.

Took a run over to Swanton, OH to try to get lunch, place was closed and their posted menu did not feature the item I was craving :-). So I ended up having Maomart General Tso's chicken for lunch :-).

Offline willbird

• Expert
5-24-24 #18 77 miles.

When I was a kid my Grandparents had a lake cottage near Reading, MI. My dad went to the Hillsdale county fair a few times due to where that cottage was and he felt that it was more like the fairs when he was a kid than some of the more urban county fairs. So every summer we would make a trip up to Hillsdale to visit that fair. As a kid it seemed everywhere I went on that HUGE fairgrounds a Horse and driver in racing sulky was trying to run me over. Lots of huge draft horses on display too. My dad and I amde a few rides up from Swanton, OH to the Hillsdale fair too. He on my CB750K2 and me on the CL175 I rode back then.

Seems much smaller today, the racetrack seems abandoned.

Stopped at a small deli in West Unity, OH to grab a chopped brisket sandwich for lunch.