Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 46110 times)

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
Well I started out on ride 48 today on the rescue bike but around 10 miles from home a car on the road shoulder pulled an u-turn in front of me and I t-boned him. Front end is done but not much damage on the side because it fell on me. Full agatt so just cracked ribs and some really interesting bruises from the handlebars. He got charged and I have to do the rebuild over again, just when it started running good!
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Well that sucks, you were on a roll. Good thing you had your gear on, it could have been a lot worse.
Take it easy on those ribs so they heal up good.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
Well I started out on ride 48 today on the rescue bike but around 10 miles from home a car on the road shoulder pulled an u-turn in front of me and I t-boned him. Front end is done but not much damage on the side because it fell on me. Full agatt so just cracked ribs and some really interesting bruises from the handlebars. He got charged and I have to do the rebuild over again, just when it started running good!

WOW!  Glad you are okay and not more seriously injured.
Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline willbird

• Expert
yes that sucks for sure :-(, glad YOU are for the most part OK though.

Offline jgger

• Master
Ah yes, the old turn then look move. Shame about the bike and injuries, good side you are still here to tell us about it. Plus you weren't riding 2 up!

Heal fast, and I hope this doesn't screw up your Newfoundland trip.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
Argh. Sorry to hear that Lash. Cracked ribs are tough. I know. Heal up.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Dang lash, sounds painful.
What hurts more, your ribs? Or looking at your CB?
In the meantime, maybe your bride can take you for a spin.
Did you find your awards?
Glad you’re here to tell, lash.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
Ribs will heal but not sure about the bike. Don’t know yet. I was going to post my ride and also that I received and mounted the plaque but got kind of sidetracked.
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Ride #9     79 miles

Round here, people are driving with less regard for others. Right of way, red light, tailgating, weaving.
 I followed a stooge-in-a-hurry today using the left turn lane for passing. He did it twice in a mile, lucky for me I was following. Just yesterday while I was in the cage with my bride, stooge-in-a-hurry pulled out of the grocery store dead in front of me. I could have t-boned him with impunity, but because I smelled him coming, I was ready for his stooge-move, and stopped short.

At the track, more barns are down, only the block barn remains with the log cabin, grandstand, tower.
On to the post office with willbirds award in my back pocket.

WILLBIRD, your award is in the mail.

I couldnt get a full frontage shot of the Post Office, it’s a busy place. I noticed the ongoing horse carving across the street and I snapped an update. I’ll have to get some better angles to recognize what the sculptor is trying to do. On down Seven Mile, I have tried to count the horses and haven’t managed to do so, but more than 50. Lunch at A&W, kinda quiet there today. Huron River Drive, nice as always, it’s closed Sunday morning for a bike race/marathon, I don’t know. Pontiac Trail, Territorial, Plymouth, Hines, Merriman, 1.7g VPower, home, refreshment, then mow. I also noted it’s time for an oil change.

Lash, good to see you here.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 04:38:08 am by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Well done Lash, heal up and hopefully the bike will be back on the road again soon. Nice pics Kevin, I took the Hindenburg over to the shop and it passed the Roadworthy Inspection this morning. Thought about taking another bike for a ride but chickened out. No biggie, plenty of time left to do some more rides. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Lash, glad you were not injured worse and reporting from a hospital bed. Glad you had good brakes to lessen the speed of impact some...  Hopefully you can get the bike back on the road again, even if it requires a new frame, that deflection in the front end doesn't look good, but maybe it is all forks and not the headstock. Definitely have the frame checked carefully.
Yamiya prices and BAT auctions sales should be volunteered for info to your insurance agent and theirs to set the stage to let them know it is going to be an expensive screw up of their client and payout is not going to be some low-ball offer. Especially with all the sweat equity and hard work you put into it. Get some receipts from your restore for polishing, quotes for vapor blasting by others, just things to show you have significant investment in money and time and effort to make the bike nice.
Careful what you say on public forums these days, insurance company investigators are getting savy and you may not see their hand revealed.

Hope you heal up quickly, manage the pain with analgesics as pain management is important for speedy healing studies have shown.

Sorry that you have to go through this but I am glad you are with us still to do so,

Might wanna avoid comedy television/movies if you like to laugh and cannot just smile at the humor...

Hug your family and friends as much as you can with the cracked ribs...

Don't forget that your gear sacrifice saving your life needs replaced and the at fault driver needs to pick up the tab on that. If they try to argue wear on the items, tell them the gear is why you aren't on a slab and treat it like a chrome bumper, any wear on the bumper prior is merely the cost of doing business to restore your bike to whole again, no betterment crap or depreciation applies.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015

WOW!  Glad you are okay and not more seriously injured.
Lucky despite the bad luck!

I often think about something bad will happen when bike finally runs well and look good after a period of adjustments and fixes.

I suspect that other car drivers will do something bad.
But, it's difficult to see them all in time. I was close earlier this year when I had decided to pass a slow going car. Lucky me I was a second or 2  late on the throttle when the car suddenly made a left turn to a small road.
This was on my blue K6 and it reacts very quick on the throttle.

I got a reminder again, never pass cars when there is a road on left side they might  go for without indicator.

U-turns a little bit tougher. I have been lucky so far and could brake in time or used my loud horn to stop them in the act. A bright headlight daytime have reduced the number of  incidents.

Some drivers seem to think they can do what they want on small roads.

Few people that understand they must verify an empty road before crossing lanes, left or u-turns.
Enough for them they cannot see any other vehicles which is not the same as see an empty road.

Let the car insurance pay full price for the parts needed.
Used good CB750 parts no longer as plenty or cheap as for 10-15 years ago.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline willbird

• Expert
6-1,2024, 99 miles, #26.

Headed south through Defiance, OH. Followed the Maumee river to Independence Dam. They had some spotting scopes setup there to observe a Bald Eagle nest 240 yards across the river with 3 chicks that are a couple weeks away from their first flights.

The Maimi and Erie canal runs along the river here and this was an access to an 8' or so drop at a dam in the canal.

Then headed east through Florida, OH and when I hit Napoleon, OH headed back North through Wauseon, OH and then back home :-).

Bill

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
Congratulations, Bill on #24.  Sorry to read about the accident, lash.

I was going through some old photos and remembered that the TXMotofoto guy got me when I rode the Three Sisters loop a couple of years ago.  I found the photos.  He took seven photos of me!  Fast clicker.  I actually got tagged twice that day by two different photographers.  I didn't catch the other guy's website on his canopy as I rode by.  It was a different rode.

I found myself on the TXMotofoto website.  I did a print screen and crop.  I don't feel like paying for the photos (too poor).  I can live with the watermark.

I haven't been able to get out for a ride this week.  Maybe Monday.

Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
Ride #8 today was 76 miles.
I headed out this morning at 7am, 52°F and warming fast with the sun. A beautiful blue sky day, no wind. Headed down the hill and off to the south east to Rick's Motosports (Rick's Electrics) for their 4th Annual Vintage Ride-In. Pretty good crowd and friends with their bikes. Parked next to my friend Jeff and his 2 bikes, 71 CB500 and his 74 CB550. Lots of interesting bikes and peeps. By the time I got home it was reaching 82°F.
The K5 ran great on the way over as it was just in the 60° range, but sputtered a bit on the way home with the heat and lots of stopping for traffic lights. It sure likes the cooler temps and free flowing above 50 mph....
Stu
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....

Offline jgger

• Master
Very nice on the rides, guys, quite a bit of different things to see. That's what cool about thread.

Wilbird, I love seeing Eagle projects, they are such an education for the boys when done right. Too bad about the direction the Boy Scouts are headed now, woke destroys so much.

Anyhoo, like so many of you, I decided to make a run on lash while he's stalled. ( just joking, it really sucks what happened).

I was able to click off # 19 by running an errand on Saturday.  Not very exciting, but I got 65 miles of riddin' in. After working on a little side job, I need a little wind. I picked up the part I needed, went to a fine restaurant for a very late lunch. Then headed home to babysit the grandkids for the night.
THE END
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
😁😁Some real barf swill
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline jgger

• Master
Ok Stu, now I'm deeply hurt and insulted,  BAWHAHAHAHA!

I know you're jealous, admit it.🙈🙉🙊

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
Ok Stu, now I'm deeply hurt and insulted,  BAWHAHAHAHA!

I know you're jealous, admit it.🙈🙉🙊
I steer clear of the places like that chain and the burger chains.
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
Those photos are what we dream about in the dark cold winter! ;D
I did not test Taco  Bell during my US visits mostly working.

I liked the Big Buford Combo meal at a small Rally's place beside a street in Bowling Green KY last time.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)

Offline jgger

• Master
Per, you may have done yourself a favor by not trying Taco Bell. This is all in jest, or indigestion, whichever may apply. I do have a craving every once in awhile to go there..........then it's over. Calling Taco Bell Mexican food is a bit of an insult to real Mexican food, but short on time it will fill the belly. Given the choice I would go there over going to Chipotle or ANY kind of Chinese food.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #796 on: June 03, 2024, 12:35:34 am »
Per, you may have done yourself a favor by not trying Taco Bell. This is all in jest, or indigestion, whichever may apply. I do have a craving every once in awhile to go there..........then it's over. Calling Taco Bell Mexican food is a bit of an insult to real Mexican food, but short on time it will fill the belly. Given the choice I would go there over going to Chipotle or ANY kind of Chinese food.
I visited a Mexican restaurant when visiting Bowling Green for a week 2017.
El Mazatlan.

Tasty dishes. I asked for sliced habanero fried in sweet as sugar or honey. They made what I wanted (not on the menu)
A really tasty habanero. Looked like peach variant full of fruity flawors.

I was  the only one of our group, 6-8 persons in need of inner heat. The paying boss was from Mexico, but too hot for him so I had to eat it all ;D

Quickly fry the chili makes it not that sharp. Sweetness is a good match too.
Mexican food must be a fire to handle, right? ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 12:54:28 am by PeWe »

Offline jgger

• Master
While I will not knock those who enjoy a spicy meal, to me the heat only camouflages the flavor of the food. The flavor blend of Mexican food is almost enough, the flame of spices or chili's is added to individual taste at the table. The different versions of food from different regions in Mexico is amazing and I'm pretty sure there are not too many taco bells down south, nor are they using old time secret family recipes at Taco Bell.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
Mexican food should be nice to have over here along my riding roads ;D
Hopefully $10US dishes! ;)
There are lots of chili that are not that hot, giving a nice aroma and taste. Different kinds of smoked ones.

Offline jgger

• Master
Well there ya go Per, learn to cook Mexican and make a fortune!