Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 46104 times)

Offline willbird

• Expert
6-2-2024, 79 miles, #27

Headed south through Hicksville, headed east to Paulding, then on home. Gloomy day but no rain.

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
I can open my account on this thread with my 750!

Wife and I rode to the little farming community next to where I live for a coffee. First run of the CB750 after its rebuild.

I have one small but valuable piece from Frank on my bike it’s a brass adapter so I can use a Pingel fuel tap on my 750F tank. Kinda fitting my first Ride was to a Starbucks as Frank was usually found posted up at his local one.

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
While I will not knock those who enjoy a spicy meal, to me the heat only camouflages the flavor of the food. The flavor blend of Mexican food is almost enough, the flame of spices or chili's is added to individual taste at the table. The different versions of food from different regions in Mexico is amazing and I'm pretty sure there are not too many taco bells down south, nor are they using old time secret family recipes at Taco Bell.

The best thing I ever got at Taco Bell was a girlfriend.  I was living in Fullerton, CA in the latter half of the 80's and would often hit the Taco Bell drive thru on my way home from work.  One evening I found a name and phone number scribbled on a piece of paper in my bag of food when I got home.  I called the number the next day and had a nice chat with a lovely young lady.  We dated for a couple of years.  We met again one evening in 1992(?) in Mobile, AL of all places.  I haven't seen or heard from her since.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline jgger

• Master
Welcome to the bunch, CB750R. Nice looking bike and beautiful backdrop, hope we see more rides and stories from Canada. 

Jim
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline jgger

• Master
Bud, I have never seen those on the menu there. Are the all the same or is each one different? It must have been pretty tough passing one through that little drive thru window and into your vehicle. 😁
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
Bud, I have never seen those on the menu there. Are the all the same or is each one different? It must have been pretty tough passing one through that little drive thru window and into your vehicle.
I guess it’s sort of you get what you get.  You can decide later on whether you like them or not.  I was fortunate, at least for a couple of years.

She didn’t pass through the window.  I had to make arrangements to pick her up at a different location.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
Well it looks like I’m out of the game for a while. Went to the ER as there was no improvement in the spasms or pain and Tylenol 3’s were not cutting it. X-rays showed 2 broke and 1 cracked ribs. Couple of weeks I guess before I can get back to it…
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline jgger

• Master
Not great news for sure, heal fast my friend. Meanwhile enjoy riding vicariously with the rest of us.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Sorry lash, I've had my share of busted ribs.  You will be feeling them for a while. 

#4 yesterday.  I needed to get the faithful 750F on a ride that didn't involve going to an auto parts or hardware store.

A couple of pivots -

Some livestock -

Everyone will be doing their first cutting of alfalfa soon -
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
Ride #18, 71 miles.

I had to drop off a package at the post office this morning.  Rode in on the Scout.  Took the long way home.  No pics.

That is all.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Hey Greg, do local cowboys ride those camels?
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Well it looks like I’m out of the game for a while. Went to the ER as there was no improvement in the spasms or pain and Tylenol 3’s were not cutting it. X-rays showed 2 broke and 1 cracked ribs. Couple of weeks I guess before I can get back to it…

Just read your news….. Ouch. Take it easy, I’ll give you a call later in the week. J.

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Hang in there Lash,...you can eclipse everyone when you are healed up, you know, give them that glimmer of hope of meeting or exceeding your pace...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Hey Greg, do local cowboys ride those camels?

I don't know if anybody rides them, but for $50 an hour you can pet, brush and just generally hobnob with them. ;D
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
Ride #26 today, 75 miles or so on the Yamaha XJ650LJ.  The old girl clicked over 10000 miles on the way back home.  Beautiful day and the bike was running great!

Now get this.....  A few years back, (mom must have been in her late 80's), the Postal Service tells my mother she should move her mail box up by the house so she doesn't have to walk all the way to the road to collect her mail at her age.

So last week mom gets a letter from the local Post Master stating that we need to move the mail box because their drivers can't back straight down the drive for 50 feet into a 20' wide turn around.  She turned 96 back in February.

I went out to take some measurements and photos before going to war with the Postal Service.  Honestly, if their drivers can't back down a straight 14' wide drive with nothing near on either side, what the hell are they doing with a job that is mainly driving a motor vehicle?

Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Ride #10    117 miles

The CB got its oil change yesterday. I’m using 20w-50 Valvoline conventional these days. It’s JASO rated and available in the big box and automotive stores. $7 quart. Recently, there is Valvoline full synthetic, similar ratings, available for a couple bucks more. I couldn’t find my VHT aluminum rattle can, I usually take this opportunity to dress up the filter housing, it takes a beating. I also snugged the chain 1/2 turn on the adjuster bolts. That’s the first wrenching the bike has needed this year.
 I set off westbound and made my first stop at the demolition/construction project site. There’s not much new there to my eye. I parked my bike at DTE’s Northville substation across the street, I worked 40+ years for DTE at this facility and similar sites around Michigan. A DTE pickup pulls up and out comes one of my ex coworkers. Mike is coordinating in meetings with the City of Northville. I also worked with his uncle Paul Junior, and worked for his EE grandpa Paul Senior way back in the 1970’s. Anyhoo, there’s a hiking/biking trail coming by, also DTE will “sanitize” their facilities so the new residents won’t have to look at electrical utility equipment that’s been there on site for 100 years.
 I went on to Whitmore Lake. I was asked about public land on the lake, and I think there is just a bit, with a new park across the road. One bench, one picnic table lakeside, no sandy beach, no welcome signs. I think it mostly a private lake, they don’t want to be overrun with outsiders.
 Sorry for the pessimism, it was a terrific ride, a terrific day. The countryside is green and gorgeous and luscious. The tree tunnels are complete. Mast road is particularly nice, it’s straight as an arrow but rolling and heavily wooded.
 Finally made it to Mikes Deli in Chelsea and had a #1 Mikes Favorite: Corned beef, aged Swiss, cole slaw, Russian dressing on Zingermans rye, grilled. Half for lunch and remainder for dinner. Easily transported in top box. Menu:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hamd9m6bx8jmt9g/final%20menu%207_19_21.pdf?e=1&dl=0
 Afterwards, pictures outside of the Honda, and The Potting Shed next to Mikes. A lady asked if I wanted to be in the photo and I said OK, it’s rare for me to be pictured with my CB. She asked about my bike, but she told me she worked at a Honda shop in Grand Rapids many years ago. She told me about a harrowing experience she had while pleasure riding on a demo bike, a 305 Dream. She got permission from the owner to take the bike after work and ride with the boyfriend. After 20 miles at speed on the 96 there was an unusual noise from the back, so she stopped on the shoulder to find a missing axle nut and other fasteners! Some bandaid repairs were made and they safely limped back to the shop. Seems the owners son had removed the parts for some other use, phew!
 The remainder of the ride was uneventful although the Washtenaw county sheriff was out in force today. I noticed several paying customers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 03:48:39 am by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
Looks like a great day out on the bike Kevin.  I like that shirt too, we need all the help we can get from those poor distracted drivers.

I find that folks out in the country seem to be more alert when driving.  I've had most of my close calls while in or near a town or city.

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Interesting ride, beautiful photos with details to zoom in, Kevin! ;)
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
#14 132km ride.

A ride to find the old country roads I rode on over 40 years ago.
A good alternative when riding between a  car& bike meet to another bike meet same day.
A bridge is under repair along the faster road, one lane only with a slow red light.

I prefer to not wait up to 5 minutes.  A 10-20 minutes longer route is better as long as not waiting, still riding.

More country side, now greener, lusher and  more flowers.

One nail into the end of summer coffin soon dark cold winter are the lupine flowers in different colors. Blue, pink and white.
I saw yellow 50 years ago, still keep my eyes open  for that color.
Flowering now, but will be gone end of this month.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
Ride #19, 67 miles.

Hazy morning.  Still lots of smoke coming up from Mexico.  I had to go into town for a haircut this morning, so I jumped on the Scout.  Once my ears were properly repositioned I headed east on 290 and did a turnaround at LBJ park.  I Figured I'd go see if the buffalo were out, which they were, but too far from the fence for a decent photo.  The longhorns didn't disappoint though.

It's peach season around here, so I stopped for a bag at a local farm before heading home.  Still gotta wait a few days for them to ripen.

Photos look great Kevin and Per.

Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
#9 today. The K1 was out for the first really good run. Added at least 75 miles to the clock and it ran superbly. Gary brought along is six month old Husky and I’m impressed with how much stuff you can get to hang off it!

At or breakfast stop, I was  telling Gary how the new owner insisted on replacing the +10 year old Kendas on the K8 I sold last week (they probably had a few hundred miles on them before the bike got put away, and looked brand new). Suddenly occurred to me the ones on the K1 are at least as old, so we checked after our meal.  Sure enough, time for a change!

Kevin….. I noticed your shirt AND spoke to Dwayne yesterday. He’s pretty banged up and sore and it might be a while before he rides comfortably again! I wore my ORANGE VEST all day. I think it may become my New Year’s Resolution! You were very smart to hang on to your K1 for so many years. It really is my favourite ride! Such a lovely growl from the HM300 pipes.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 05:33:50 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
 I spent a fair amount of time on the ride report, and I have learned to use “select all, copy” at intervals while composing, otherwise the report would be much abbreviated after crashes and inaccurate. The photos, these days the photos have to be reduced, and added one at a time, otherwise the entire post is lost (saved by “copy”, phew) I use my email, email the photos to myself for reduction. All worth it. This is the best job ever!
 I turned back for the on the road photos, it’s easy to ride on and stay in the groove, but I’m better at recognizing the photo-op and if traffic is light it’s safer and easy to make a u-turn (see lash and turns)
 I may be returning to Mikes again, there are many more options on the menu, but his hours are 11-3 closed Monday.
 Jacket on is my preferred riding gear but orange tshirt is first alternate for warmer weather. My younger days riding pals have all moved away and given up motorcycling. I’m missing Ganaraska 250, missed with lash and lone builder, trying to meet Dennis BallAquatics. The 117 miles put me in the easy chair.  There is much for me to do with my bride of 49 years today.
 Sorry John, my bike no longer has 300’s they rusted out very quickly and were replaced with takeoff 341’s about 1973. I’m happy with the sound, it can be discreet or screaming however I want it to be, just can’t turn it back to 300’s. My 341’s have some rough spots but no holes, yet.
 Dodged a tornado last night here at home by just yards, not so fortunate for many especially a mom and child crushed in their home by a fallen tree. Mom in critical, child didn’t make it. Prayers for both.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline willbird

• Expert
6-6-2024

128 miles, number 28.

I spent all week struggling with my bike, acted exactly like they do if you ride off without opening the petcock. Went through everything I could think of, could not say it was fuel or spark for sure. Last checked points gap, timing, advancer, plug wires, jumped honda man ignition out briefly, jumpered kill switch out. Had pilot jets out and checked/cleaned them. Totally drained fuel and replaced with gas from a different source. swapped one then the other coil. Finally pulled jet holders, idle screws, and pilot jets with carbs on bike and blew all those orifices out, that healed it. More or less a full tune up tho which is good anyway lol.

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
Ride #27 today, 56 miles.  Besides just gallivanting around today, I stopped at the South Charleston Post Office and got the mail box location issue sorted.

Beautiful day but windy as all get-out.  Temps dropping for tomorrow so should be another good riding day!  I'm thinking of heading down to Lancaster to a bike dealer to look at a 2024 CF Moto 450NK.  Got some work to do first so if everything works out...

I noticed left fork is leaking when I stopped for photos today.  It's probably getting close to time for a service as well.....

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
Kevin, sorry to hear about the lady and her children down the street.

Glad to hear you folks are alright. 

Seems I a long time ago when Al Gore first sounded the alarm as to what was coming.  We have had several very bad storms down this way too.  I'm hoping we've seen the worst of it for this year already.