Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 45956 times)

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
My turn! Saturday, I was able to get out for ride #22, I wanted to try some known places with some new to me places. I did a little freeway, then some mountain, then some open Desert, a national park, more freeway . Then home.

I hit the road around 11 o'clock and it was 85°f/30°c and hazy, I knew I was in for some high temps, but that doesn't bother me. I aimed for Cajon junction where Hwy 138 crosses route 66. Route 66 doesn't really exist any more in one piece and my path crossed and ran parallel to parts of it. I took a couple of pictures for Terry, then parted ways with the mother road. 138 is right at the edge of the Mojave Desert and when i exited the temp was up to 91°f/33°c already. The road runs past Silverwood Lake then heads up into the San Bernardino national forest to a town called Crestline. From there I went by Lake Gregory and picked up Hwy 18, which is the Rim of the World hwy. The views from up there on a clear day are so awesome, too bad it was a bit hazy.i wandered around there lost for a bit, found my bearings, and headed farther up the mountain towards Big Bear Lake, boy do I LOVE the new Kenda tires I mounted a few weeks ago! On the North side of the lake is the town of Fawnskin, for whatever reason it seems to be dieing,  I have many fond memories of that place from my childhood,  it is so sad to see it now.

So on with th ride, I have alot of ground to cover still. The whole time on the mountain the temps stayed in the mid to upper 80's f, or 29 to 32 c. Next I headed down the backside of the mountain towards Lucerne Valley where things heated up. As I came off the mountain, it got pretty windy and.was a pretty consistent 102°f/39°c, I can live with that, it's the desert. By then I was getting hungry, so I figured I would try out a biker burger place I had passed on a ride last year. I ordered up a cheese burger.,fries and a Dr Pepper and it was pretty good. So this ride I was actually able to post a real food pic! Found a shady table and ate outside, when it's that hot (102°) it's best to not hang out in the AC because you will never come back out. So after lunch I hit another road that goes down to Yucca Valley, that section held temps at 102°~104°for 39°~40°c all the way into Yucca Valley.  At this point I figgerd I should get some gas, I had already covered 167 mi/268kms, and Eeyore drank just shy of 4 gallons. Next up was Joshua Tree national park and as I was approaching the entrance my dash thermometer said 107°f/42°c! As I rode through the park I hit a picnic area for a water break, found some shade and enjoyed about a quart  of water. Before my water break the temp was dropping to 97°f/36°c and I was afraid I might need to put on another layer to fight off the cold, but i just tuffed it out. Being rested and cooled I figgered it was time to head home, so off we went towards Palm Springs and the rest area at Whitewater. As luck would have it that's when the wind picked up and the sun was low enough to blind me as I headed west. I can take one or the other, but not both at the same time. I knew I couldn't do anything about the 24 mpg wind but the sun was sinking, I still had coffee, so I waited it out. I pulled back on the freeway at that twilight time of day where it's still light but the sun is gone, I love that time of day! So by the time I got home the temp was down to 75°f/24°c and an awesome 322 mile/518kms ride was in the books, only 2 more to go!

But wait there's more! When I came in the house there was a steak being marinated and a baked tater in the toaster oven! So I grabbed an adult beverage, slapped the steak on the grill and prepared to chow down! I have a pic, so it did happen.

Stats and too many pictures..............again.
   Start temp.                   86°f/30°c
   Highest temp.              107°f/42°c
   Home.                            75°f/24°c

Total distance 322mi/518kms
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the pics of your trip Jigger. Brought back some good memories.  I grew-up in San Bernardino and used to ride up to Crestline..by Lake Gregory..past Lake Arrowhead..then to Big Bear and down the hill again coming out in East Highlands.  Used to be one of my favorite rides BTW.

Last time i was out there was back in late 90's visiting Mom and relatives [moved to Colorado in mid 70's].  Most of them gone now.  Still have a sister living in Palm Desert [talk about 'hot weather'..she just told me that it's been a 'balmy' 105 degrees out there lately.  Can get up to 120+ degrees @ times.  Been that way in summer for as long as I can remember..for all those concerned about recent 'global warming' reports LOL.  I'm glad it's my sister..and not me living there LOL]

Anyway really appreciated seeing some of those travel points Jigger.  BTW: I also remember stopping @ the Fawnskin Inn back in the day.  Had really good food there..as I remember.

Cheers

Al/Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline jgger

• Master
Thank you Ichiban, so glad you enjoyed the pics. That whole mountian area has changed since we both were young.

As a side note, I saw 1 million years BC at the drive in theater in Big Bear when my friend and I rode  my Honda 90 and his Yamaha 80. Ah the good old days!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
#49 at 82mi. First day out on the CB since my accident. I’m sure I’m going to pay for it tonight as I really stiffened up when I got home. Price I’m willing to pay though and it will get better.
Insurance wrote off my 74 and I think they want too much to buy the salvage so it’s going to them. Probably lay low tomorrow and then try going to a car show and shine on Thursday. I will try and remember to get some pictures.
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Well I’ve taken the plunge and bought a cheap heated vest from Amazon. With luck I will have it by the weekend, if I get a chance to venture out on the Hindenburg. I like the heated grips, but a heated vest would be wonderful. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jgger

• Master
You can get sox too. Does the vest connect to the bike, or stand alone batteries? 

I can't wait for the review.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
You can get sox too. Does the vest connect to the bike, or stand alone batteries? 

Thanks Jim, I've got some waterproof over-socks that I've had for many years, I must find them as they cut the wind, and are quite warm, but not sweaty. (unless I'm pushing a bike...) The vest doesn't come with a power supply, but takes a phone charger style power supply, of which I have several, so I'm sure I'll find something to power it up. I currently have 4 different ones charging, in anticipation. The heated grips wouldn't hold a candle to heated gloves (which I'm pretty sure I bought a pair of once, but can't remember where I've put them?) in that the tops of your hands are still cold, but the heated grips do at least keep my arthritis at bay. I've gotta start wearing some better pants, jeans are ok (as long as you don't fall off) but I need some warmer duds too;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Ride #3.   Tully, NY to Altoona, PA
I'll update mileage and add a map later
But it was around 350 miles riding with these guys:

Edit: One of the other riders says it was closer to 360 miles
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 03:16:53 pm by Alan F. »

Offline willbird

• Expert
Got the K2 out to stretch it's muscles, it had sat 10 days I think, oil had drained off the dipstick but some was still in the tank. Went nowhere exiting, just drew a square with home in one corner. #35, 54 miles. Kind of a threat of rain but none happened so far.

Bill

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
Too nice a day to sit at home even though it was 29c by 10 in the morning. Did a triangle shopping trip on my blue CB. First stop was the butcher in Harrison for some local bacon and steaks, then off to Canadian Tire in MT. Forest for some Seafoam and then down to Arthur for gas and a coffee. So #50 at 88 mi. Tomorrow I have to take my Red 69 CB in for a safety and then the local show and shine in Elnora. Hopefully take some pics.

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
Ride #4. Altoona, PA to New Hampton, NY 272 miles.

Online Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Ride #13       85 miles
 Home - Dexter - Home

I got out the door at 10am it was very nice with temp at 80f and 61% humidity. Arriving home 1pm less shade more asphalt and  concrete, more red light time and 92f 62% humidity, OK when moving, overheat at the red light.
 Still, it was a nice ride on my favorite roads. The ditch lilies are blooming which tells me it’s summertime. The lilies aren’t profuse but they’re everywhere, and very nice.
 The Honda ran like a champ and yielded 49mpg
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
21.    170km
Sunny but cool weather around 20C.
Very windy. I had thoughts about fallen trees over the countryside roads. No problems.

The new tires have transformed the bike to a better and funnier ride. No worries about a sudden drop in tight corners in low speed, or any corners in any speeds.

Today a quicker ride as last time, almost same route. I enjoyed how smooth cornering is.
No food until home, doggy style again!

Only one photo of my bikes favourite fill-me -up place.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
Ride #5 New Hampton, NY to Manchester, VT 173 miles.

Online Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Per, I almost took the same photo today at the Shell. I was distracted when my gift card didn’t work at the pump. I scored 571 miles worth of VPower in my birthday card from my son. Your bike looks very much like mine, but nicer, and my son has too sharp an eye, if I try to send him a picture of yours.

Alan, John, anybody east of Michigan that might be riding: we are sending some nasty storms your way every day. It’s nice enough in the morning but the afternoon and evening are bringing winds and big showers
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Kevin….. our three day ride with CVMG starts tomorrow morning! Weather does not look great. Fingers crossed! Bikes are ready and I used a ton of Dubbin on the boots, incase we get soaked. Not going to use the top box on the Varadero. It just looks too goofy.

I did get #10 in this morning. Took the K7 (SOLD) for a good long test loop. Ran perfectly, never missed a beat. The new owner is getting a sweet ride.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 04:27:05 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
#51 for 75 mi. today. Was supposed to go to a car show and shine but that got rained out with thunderstorms. I got caught in one trying to get there and got pretty wet! Bike needs a wash..
The tow truck showed up today to take the crashed bike away. Sad to see it go but I have more to build.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
#51 for 75 mi. today. Was supposed to go to a car show and shine but that got rained out with thunderstorms. I got caught in one trying to get there and got pretty wet! Bike needs a wash..
The tow truck showed up today to take the crashed bike away. Sad to see it go but I have more to build.

That sucks. Good news that you’re riding.

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
Alan, John, anybody east of Michigan that might be riding: we are sending some nasty storms your way every day. It’s nice enough in the morning but the afternoon and evening are bringing winds and big showers

Thanks Kevin, I'm looking at routes now. We 3 riders are splitting up in the morning and heading home. I suppose an early start would be best, I've got 139 miles to go.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 03:41:40 am by Alan F. »

Online newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980

Thanks Kevin, I'm looking at routes now. We 3 riders are splitting up in the morning and heading home. I suppose an early start would be best, I've got 139 milestone go.
If you are coming east on Rt 101 through Milford holler. I'm in Mont Vernon and can either meet you in Milford or you can stop by my place.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

• Really Old Timer ...

Well the vest arrived yesterday so I plugged it into one of my cell phone battery packs and it fired right up. It’s a bit tight but I suppose that’s a good thing as no wind can get in between me and the vest. I put it on and sat out in the patio in 4 deg C weather and it was toasty warm. Hoping to go for another ride on the weekend and try it out. ;D

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...

Per, I almost took the same photo today at the Shell. I was distracted when my gift card didn’t work at the pump. I scored 571 miles worth of VPower in my birthday card from my son. Your bike looks very much like mine, but nicer, and my son has too sharp an eye, if I try to send him a picture of yours.

Thanks Kevin,
I usually say the same, my bike look like yours. But yours is a notch nicer ;D
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
#7.  Triple digit temps are forecast for this weekend, but only high '80's today, so I goofed off and ran a couple of tanks of gas through the good ol' 750F.  Most of the photos were taken along Warm Lake Rd east of Cascade, ID.

obligatory picnicking photo -
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #947 on: June 21, 2024, 02:07:33 am »
Nice views there with your long miling F!
80*F is rather good temp for motorcycling, 26,66*C.
100*F is normal when the doctor use the  temp probe!! ;D 
Way too hot for protective motorcycle clothing.

We had 90*F (32*C) during a 2 week period 2018. That was enough. I looked for a lighter leather jacket that summer, thinner and not that heavy.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 02:24:14 am by PeWe »

Offline jgger

• Master
Wow,blink, and you will miss something here. You guys are rockin' it! I am going to have to be more diligent posting my rides, on that note, I picked up #23 on Wednesday evening.

They had one of the 2 Wednesday speedway events and they were featuring British bike night. There was some pretty cool looking old brit bikes on display.  Mostly Triumph, BSA, even an AJS and a Greeves, no R,E,'s Norton, or Matchless though. As an added bonus they even raced them in 2 exhibition races on the track, how cool is that? Anyhoo, the races were great, I snagged a nice meatball sammich for dinner and enjoyed the crap out of the night.

One of the bikes on display had Harvey Mushman as the owner, for those who don't know that is the alias tha Steve McQueen used to use to enter off road races back in the day. I thought that was pretty cool too.

It is a great bunch of people at this venue, the promoters, racers, and attendees make it a joy to be there. Plus motorcycle parking is free, so being cheap and old enough for a senior discount, it is hard to beat 2 2/2 hours of racing for Only 15 bucks. I even chatted with a BMW guy in the parking lot after the races, his Beemer and my Yamaha made us kinda the oddball, the bike area was full of Triumphs and Harleys, but all good, friendly people.

So 76 miles later and #23 is in the books. Here are some pics.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 02:16:31 am by jgger »

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #949 on: June 21, 2024, 02:41:57 am »
Nice bikes, Jim!
Maybe some Rickmans too?

I met the Rickman brothers here 2014 at a nearby motorcycle museum.

They made offroad bikes too, Rickman Metisse,  today https://www.metisse-motorcycles.com
which were on display together with typical Rickman CB750, Kawasaki 900-1000 and Suzuki that riding visitors had.

All could verify their bikes frame numbers with the factory books to see when made and where shipped.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 02:54:19 am by PeWe »