Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 45900 times)

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
Well done Bud, I’m hoping to get #24 in next weekend before the end of June. I doubt if I’ll get 48 in, but who knows? Hopefully I’ll ride to work and take some pics of Melbourne’s highlights (and lowlife’s) when the weather warms up. ;D
You’ll get it done.  The road beckons.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline jgger

• Master
Damn, you guys are killing it. ;D

I'm hoping to get back in the game at the end of July. I finish the radiation on July 8th. My buddy and I scheduled a 5 day ride starting on the 29th. That should get me to ride 11 or 12.  8)

You will be back in the saddle soon Kelly, look forward to pics and stories at the end of July.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Gonna have to laser a X2 or X2.5 or X3 on some of these guy's tags before year is over...
Bunch of over achievers, chasing that endorphin high
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline willbird

• Expert

CB500X
Saturday June 22nd, 76 miles number 36. Rode over to Defiance, OH to pick up this Honda rear rack. From pictures I was expecting something small and plastic, nope it is big and cast aluminum, pretty stout :-). Had to carry it inside my jacket.

This tail bag will strap down on the rack quite well, the rack has four drilled and tapped holes and I think I might punch holes in the bottom of the bag and make two pieces of lexan to sandwich the bag and bolt it on when I need one. I really do not want one on the bike all of the time, just when needed/wanted.

Sunday June 23rd, went south a ways, then west to Butler, IN, North to Angole, then on home #37 for 100 miles.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Willbird, can you share more details on your new tailbag? I have a smaller Givi box 31?L for convenience…. But it looks like a trash can and I learned that it’s rated for 6 lbs! not very much, and I fear that it will be bouncing down the road someday, unnoticed, with valuables inside.
 Yours is click strap mounted, zipper lid, how long does it take to attach? Side pockets? $$$?
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline willbird

• Expert
Willbird, can you share more details on your new tailbag? I have a smaller Givi box 31?L for convenience…. But it looks like a trash can and I learned that it’s rated for 6 lbs! not very much, and I fear that it will be bouncing down the road someday, unnoticed, with valuables inside.
 Yours is click strap mounted, zipper lid, how long does it take to attach? Side pockets? $$$?

The rack itself is only rated for something like 3kg, the 500X folks in general think that is a bit conservative.

Nelson Rigg CL-1060-R Black Commuter Lite

Once the straps are adjusted for this rack it goes on in seconds, and "click, click" the buckles latch. It came with a slip on cover for riding in wet that has a draw string. I got it from Amazon for $87 total. They make Commuter Sport(16.41L/22.26L), Touring(24.78L/33L), and Commuter Lite(11.71/15.32L) sizes. Also included are backpack straps. The guys on the 500X forums seemed to like that brand. The "commuter" does not have any outside pockets, it does have a mesh pocket inside the lid where the wet cover can go. It unzips to expand and that is the larger numbers shown above. I did not want a HUGE bag. The two bigger sizes seem about the same footprint but the Touring is taller by 3".

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media-library-service-media/e76cf173-decd-4863-ae88-1b2ff77bf600.__CR0,0,3000,1856_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Without the rack and strapping it partially on the seat it made getting on and off the bike more of a PITA which I do not want, with it on the rack you would not know it was there mounting or dismounting which I LIKE :-). Can't say I might not buy a bigger one maybe, would be nice to be able to get my work boots in one, the protective toe makes shifting more difficult.

Offline jgger

• Master
Bill, did you get the 500 in for service so you can ride it again?

On the weight limits for your rack, it is totally a lawyer thing. They don't want people putting bags of cement or bales of hay behind the passenger position because too much weight back there screws with the handling. Too much weight back there and it increases the possibility of unintended wheelies. Also if the bike has a rear sub-frame it can stress things to the point of breaking in this era of aluminum frames. They just don't want the liability, look what happened to Steve Martin and the " Opti-Grab" in the Jerk!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 07:32:38 am by jgger »
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Willbird, thanks for all that.
 I meant to ask about riding the CB500 as well, I expect you’re liking it.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline willbird

• Expert
Bill, did you get the 500 is for service so you can ride it again?

On the weight limits for your rack, it is totally a lawyer thing. They don't want people putting bags of cement or bales of hay behind the passenger position because too much weight back there screws with the handling. Too much weight back there and it increases the possibility of unintended wheelies. Also if the bike has a rear surface it can stress things to the point of breaking in this era of aluminum frames. They just don't want the liability, look what happened to Steve Martin and the " Opti-Grab".

Service is this Friday June 28th. I think I am at 536 right now. The powersports dealer owner was there Saturday and did not think going 100 over would be a big deal. I could not name his employee that told me the deal with the guy who went to 769 miles and Honda refused an extended warranty claim at 20k miles. He said as he recalled that guy ran that bike out of oil. He also said the guy conned his home owners insurance co into a story that somebody drained the oil out of his bike and THEY paid to repair the engine. I am still leery of running much past 600 miles by Friday tho. I am leaning towards getting some extended warranty. These terms add onto the OEM 12 month warranty. With modern stuff just a Diag might be fairly expensive maybe. The 5 year extension for 6 years total is about 10% of the price of the bike. Unlimited miles. Does not cover tires, batteries, audio equipment and accessories. I would presume drive chain is not included either...or brake pads, etc. No deductible. I'm not sure if dealers will cut a deal on the price or not, I know some dealers in the USA are well known for selling Toyota extended warranties lower than sticker suggested retail price.
1yr $370   ($370 a yr)
2yr $420   ($210 a yr)
3yr $490   ($163 a yr)
4yr $580   ($145 a yr)
5yr $720 ($144 a yr)

Bill

Offline willbird

• Expert
Willbird, thanks for all that.
 I meant to ask about riding the CB500 as well, I expect you’re liking it.

Yes I am liking it. I have not went on the speed limit 70mph traffic runs 80mph rooads yet. Some folks step front sprocket up from 15 to 16 and or drop a few teeth on the rear depending on how they use the bikes to not run RPM so high at those speeds. Being a twin there are some engine vibration nodes, one is at 62-63mph...the rider knows they are in that node without looking at speedo. That smooths out at 65...but I bet there are other nodes at higher speeds. Folks claim that vibration wise the bike really gets smoother past 5000mi on the odo too, we will see on that :-).

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
#15. Took the K7 in for the Ontario Safety Certificate (it’s SOLD and being picked up tomorrow). Couldn’t resist a nice long run to bed in the new pads and freshly dressed, correct front disc. I’d mistakenly installed a small one from a cb550. Cool morning, ran perfectly. The 1977/78 pipes are a LOT quieter than any of the earlier versions. Silky, comfortable ride.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Ride #14    137 Miles     Home - Stockbridge - Waterloo - Home

I was hoping to be posting #15 today. I went out after dinner last night. The demolition project at the Downs was in the news this weekend after the crew knocked the kitchen down without removing barrels of oil and kerosene that were stored inside. Nothing went up in flames, but the liquid made its way to the river, oops. While I was taking a photo of the substation building (that I worked in) that will also be demolished, I was approached by a couple with an infant in the stroller. The dad was interested in my bike, he called the model correctly and got the year within a couple, and he liked the color, his F150 has a similar color. His dad had a 350 Honda and a small Suzuki single, but nether bike came his way. His own bike is a 2010 retro Bonneville. He would have preferred the Honda, but with uncertain motorcycle repair skills he felt that a new bike was the better choice. He asked about rebuilding the carbs, but when I said that fresh gas and a charged battery goes a long way he got a big grin. We could have talked more, dad wanted to know everything, baby was getting cranky, big black cloud was coming our way. I was able to give it a sporty rip and shift as I departed.
 I took several building photos. The first two are of the kitchen, before and after demolition and oil spill.
The 3rd and 4th are similar electrical substation buildings. The yellow building is at Northville, across from the  project, likely to be demolished. The brick building is down the road at Plymouth and it was recently restored with slate roof, custom wood door, vintage lamps, there used to be copper gutters too much thievery these days for copper gutters. These buildings were built to last and they have lasted, I believe they are 1920’s vintage. I have worked long hours at both sites.

All but the last photo are from yesterday. Todays 137 miler, I departed at 1030am, 74f, no rain or 90’s in forecast. It was a lovely day for a ride and I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the tree tunnels on Hines Drive, Mast Road, Patterson Lake Road, Seymour Road, Huron River Drive. The sun was nice today, and so was the shade. When the trees arch across the road and join it’s like riding through a cathedral, better than nice.
I had several deer cross in front of me and one that turned back, no close calls. I saw a mare and foal in the corral at one of the horse farms, a sandhill crane family mom dad two smaller “colts”, wild turkeys, a hawk flew alongside at eye level for several seconds before he went into the treetops.
I was home about 330pm after a stop at Shell, the CB yielded 47.6mpg and enjoyed the day as much as I did.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
My almost 69yr old dad and myself and friends headed to the track on Sunday.

Had a great day winding out our respective 600, or 675s, and 890 proud to report no mechanical issues and no rider issues. And good times had all around.

Dad and I resurrected the triumph he’s riding after previous owner thought he blew a head gasket. It was just an oil cooler failure, (common on these) so I got it dirt cheap and went through the issues put an air/oil cooler on it instead of water cooled, and fixed up a lot of other bits.

Yellow bike had a low speed, low side may have been a bike overheating and dumping coolant on track.

My bike red/grey/green ran flawless, I’ve had some challenges in the past but this was 3rd day without any issues and it’s helped me get more comfortable on the bike. I ended up taking 2 seconds off my previous best, and I did it by doing 4 laps in a row at my new best, so it’s nice to see I’m consistent.

Offline jgger

• Master
Nice story, but did you clock 50 miles?

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
Nice story, but did you clock 50 miles?

Did five sessions get about 29km per session.. so 145km or 90miles for your satisfaction…

Pretty sure Frank would have been cool with me fixing up a cheap bike and taking it to a race track and riding circles around faster fancier machines! He was pretty fond of his go fast parts and being frugal!

Offline jgger

• Master
That's awsome, I didn't see any distance and was wondering how far/much you ride, expiring minds want to know. Back in the olden days we would race 80 , or more, across the open Desert. Pretty cool you got to do a track day with your dad too.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
CB750R, This is Area 27, yes?

https://www.opptrackdays.com/about-oppracing/

Wow, what a nice facility to have nearby, and for the deep pocketed, they will let you borrow their exotics, and school you on how to use it properly.
Did your dad’s times approach yours?
You’re allowed to turn it loose?

The rules were a little different when Frank was here: we posted before and after pictures of our odometers to try and keep it honest. That’s in the past. Best if you post your miles/km and your ride count, photos and narrative much appreciated. There is another rider here, I think he’s heading for Bonneville this year and I postulated if he made 50 miles in a day in his runs on the flats, that could count. You’re breaking some new ground here CB750R, in a good way.
Maybe you knew Frank, do you have any photos?

71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #992 on: June 26, 2024, 11:27:13 am »
#23  113km 27-28*C
A double Wednesday meeting.
First a car and bike meet, then 50km away to next where I usually have a tasty burger.

I had to leave the first place too early. Met a queue of C2,3,4,5, 6 Corvettes on the road.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:40:28 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
CB750R, This is Area 27, yes?

https://www.opptrackdays.com/about-oppracing/

Wow, what a nice facility to have nearby, and for the deep pocketed, they will let you borrow their exotics, and school you on how to use it properly.
Did your dad’s times approach yours?
You’re allowed to turn it loose?

The rules were a little different when Frank was here: we posted before and after pictures of our odometers to try and keep it honest. That’s in the past. Best if you post your miles/km and your ride count, photos and narrative much appreciated. There is another rider here, I think he’s heading for Bonneville this year and I postulated if he made 50 miles in a day in his runs on the flats, that could count. You’re breaking some new ground here CB750R, in a good way.
Maybe you knew Frank, do you have any photos?

Yes that’s the track and it’s a great place to turn some laps!
Ahh ok fair, yes I knew Frank and visited his shop a couple times. Also ran into him several times at a local moto shop, and the local coffee shop. Sadly I never had a chance to ride with him though. I can post more info, was just trying to contribute
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 12:10:51 pm by CB750R »

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Ride #15    112 miles          Home - Chelsea - Home

I got my afternoon ride in today. I busted out at 4pm after the storm front passed. It wasn’t the big bad storm   front, just a few drops, it looked much worse on accuweather and it passed. 4pm isn’t quite the best departure time the rush is on and those empty country roads are not so empty, big backups at intersections.
The traffic disappeared when I got on Pontiac Trail and it stayed gone on the remainder of the ride. I saw a nice photo on Huron River Drive. The light was right the wind was gone the reflection off the pond was gorgeous but there was no place to park and I was hungry, told myself to come back after dinner but the wind was up and the reflection gone, oh well, sorry no pictures. I had a smothered burrito at the Chelsea Coney Island, very good, there’s enough left for lunch tomorrow. It’s been a couple years since I have been to CCI and in the past it was very busy but not tonight. Later on I noticed a new Culver’s right across the street with a full parking lot.
 The return ride was nice as well, the afternoon heat was waning, the Honda was running as good as always.
2.2g for 112 miles is 51 mpg. I must have been a smidge light on the top off.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
#8.  Up SH55 to Horseshoe Bend, then SH52 to Emmett, which follows Black Canyon Reservoir.  Some pix -

Looking over Emmett, ID from near the top of Freezeout Hill -

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline jgger

• Master
Holy moly, you guys are hard to keep up with! Lotta riding going on.

CB750R sorry for sounding like such an a$$hat, Kevin D was much more eloquent than I was to get the same point across. I would like to see more about you going out with your Dad, I think it's great.

Per, looks like an awsome meet up and a delicious burger on top of that. Nice pics too.

Kevin congrats on #15, only 9 more to go!

Greg, as always, great pics and the story behind the area you visited is interesting. When I read history like that, it makes me remember that I have nothing to whine about. You are 1/3 of the way there with plenty of time left! I see you are riding the 750, what is the price up to now?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 12:10:38 am by jgger »

Offline jgger

• Master
I got #24 done!

It wasn't an epic ride and no fancy food pics. Just up and over Ortega to Dana Point, a run up Pacific Coast Hwy, 2 stops in Newport Beach,  u-turn then home. The only "epicness" ( if that's a word) was had to jump start the bike in Newport Beach,  had some slut brake check me on the 405 frwy, stopped for gas and put 5.91 gallons in a tank that is supposed to hold just over 6 gallons, and had a truck swerve at me who was going the opposite direction from me. Just another day at the office I guess.

Anyway I still call it a good ride. Plus #24 is in the bag!

Stats and pics

Start temp.                 84°f/29°c
At the beach.              77°f/25°c
Back home.                 81°f/27°c

Total distance.            156mi/ 251km
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 01:30:16 am by jgger »

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
So glad Jim you dodged all the bullets and made it in for #24.
Good that you know Eeyore well enough to get fuel at the right time.
Back when we had an MC show here, I sat on an FJR, later I went on a demo ride, but didn’t pull the trigger, and haven’t ever been that close to having a different motorcycle.
You have done well, good show Jim.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
The rules were a little different when Frank was here: we posted before and after pictures of our odometers to try and keep it honest. That’s in the past. Best if you post your miles/km and your ride count, photos and narrative much appreciated.

Yes, here is what Terry put in the first post of this thread -

Remember, 50 miles is the minimum, no speedo readings are necessary, we're all adults, and of course if you want to ride more than 50, well that's even better.

Sometimes I may put the mileage in my posts, but many times do not.  I went to a BMW rally in Missoula years ago on the GS.  A lot of BMW types are obsessed with how many miles are on their bikes, a form of dick measuring contest I reckon.  I'd watch guys walking around looking at odometers to see how they measured up.  Kind of silly, so I try not to be one of those guys.  (Another BMW type are the GS riders who never clean their bikes, hoping people will think they just drug it by hand through the Darien Gap.) I am fortunate enough to be able to ride a lot of miles every year on my current fleet of 4 bikes, but don't see it as anything to brag about.  So that is why I don't always post the mileage number, but I can if that is preferred.

Greg, as always, great pics and the story behind the area you visited is interesting. When I read history like that, it makes me remember that I have nothing to whine about. You are 1/3 of the way there with plenty of time left! I see you are riding the 750, what is the price up to now?

Thanks, the selling price is $169,790.60 this morning, sure to be higher later today if I have to go somewhere.  No brag, just fact, ha ha

Nice pix, PeWe.  I really like this. I'd like to build something like it around one of the flathead Ford V8s I have out back, but will likely never get to it at this late date.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon