Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 45824 times)

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #1425 on: September 10, 2024, 01:01:42 pm »
BallAquatics, maybe after the affects of the hurricane move past you will have weather nice enough for a trip down to Hocking Hills, you should make a 2 day trip of it to enjoy it even more if you can swing the time and expense...

You and I must be thinking alike David.  They closed my favorite Motel in Athens and I've been looking for something similar.  I was thinking 3 days, 2 nights.  We'll see.....

Today's ride #35, 63 miles on the CBR.  I was telling a friend about how good the liver & onions are at my favorite Mom & Pop place and he said the best around are at the M & M Diner in London, so that's where I was off to today.  Not to eat mind you, but just to find the place for future reference.   ;D

Looks like a cozy little diner.  Big parking lot with several customers.  4.6 stars on Google.  I'll definitely be back for some liver & onions!

Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1426 on: September 10, 2024, 09:22:47 pm »
Ride #25    88 miles

Back in the saddle after a week off. I limped home last week with a flat for the last mile of #24. Now there’s a new tire and tube on my CB, and a new tailbag. I did the tire change, and learned that Rosenau gets
 $75 wheel off/$150 wheel on in labor charges. I don’t know how many tire changes I have left in me…..
 I set off after lunch, first stop is at the Merriman Road bridges project: replace 2 bridges, and oops, we didn’t know there was a sewer main in the way. They’re way behind on the planned work, I don’t know the schedule on the unplanned sewer work. In the old pre-project days I used those bridges several times a week.
These days I use them zero times per year with no end in sight.
 I had planned a shorter ride but quickly tossed that out the window once the wheels were turning. I wore my jacket and the afternoon sun was warming the day more than expected, so I aimed for Dexter and a tall mug of root beer, on the house today, I dunno why, but thanks. Afterwards I wasn’t sure if my jacket would fit in the new tailbag so I folded it tightly, unzipped the tailbag extension, and started cramming. The jacket fit in easily. The bag is the medium size 16/22L. Nelson Rigg Commuter Sport, about $90.
Willbird, you steered me right, thanks.
 Leaving Dexter, I made for Mast road, Strawberry Lake road. I stopped to chat for a short bit with a softball buddy from the past. Gary is about 6’6” and he would crush the ball if the opponent was foolish and pitched to him. To roll one into the river was a home run, I remember Gary smacked one and it hit the big tree about halfway up…. on the other side of the river. On to Whitmore Lake and a couple photos, one boat out on this gorgeous day. Then home.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1427 on: September 10, 2024, 09:43:10 pm »
Kevin, glad you had a good ride despite the sewer work and enjoyed a frosty mug of root beer
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1428 on: September 11, 2024, 09:48:13 am »
Four rides for Monday

Per
Stu
Dennis
Kevin

That’s good by me David!
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1429 on: September 11, 2024, 10:42:54 am »
Today's ride #36, 80 miles.  A beautiful morning here, temps in the upper 60's when I left the house.  Took some twisty back roads to North Hampton, then picked up SR 41 to Troy.  I had my "Ramblin Man" vibe going for this section. Lol  In Troy I headed north on Troy - Sydney Road past the Big 4 Bridge into Sydney.  In Sydney I picked up SR 29 and went through Carysville, Rosewood, Eris, and Westville.  Crossed US 36 on SR 560 and followed it back home.

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1430 on: September 12, 2024, 04:45:41 pm »
365 km for #93 today. Seal Cove to Rocky Harbour and back to Deer Lake for the night. 20c and clear skies, great riding weather. Heading south tomorrow to Cornerbrook and then Pasadena for a visit with in-laws. Back to Seal Cove on Saturday, the temps are supposed to be 12c for that ride!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 02:33:43 pm by lash »
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1431 on: September 12, 2024, 07:39:08 pm »
Dennis, that looks like a nice bike for tossing through the turns at the Dragon.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1432 on: September 13, 2024, 05:22:22 am »
Dennis, that looks like a nice bike for tossing through the turns at the Dragon.

Hi Kevin.  It is a joy to ride!  I've never had it on the Dragon, but I've burned up Ohio SR 374 a time or two!

The poor thing spends way too much time just sitting in the garage though.  I have to keep reminding myself how to properly sit on it to keep from killing my wrists on a long ride.  In all honesty, as much as I love my vintage bikes, this bike is far superior to them in braking and handling.

It's really been a burden to try and ride all the bikes this year.  It may be time to thin the heard, but I don't want to give any of them up!  I'm going to spend some extra time on the bike this fall and decide if I'm keeping it or letting it go next spring.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1433 on: September 13, 2024, 12:31:06 pm »

Hi Kevin.  It is a joy to ride!  I've never had it on the Dragon, but I've burned up Ohio SR 374 a time or two!

The poor thing spends way too much time just sitting in the garage though.  I have to keep reminding myself how to properly sit on it to keep from killing my wrists on a long ride.  In all honesty, as much as I love my vintage bikes, this bike is far superior to them in braking and handling.

It's really been a burden to try and ride all the bikes this year.  It may be time to thin the heard, but I don't want to give any of them up!  I'm going to spend some extra time on the bike this fall and decide if I'm keeping it or letting it go next spring.

I have never been on the Dragon, but I have been on some old roads in WV where I broke a sweat tossing my  loaded 750 back and forth, didn’t get above 20mph for a long time, more like work than fun.
 A lightweight bike, narrow, shorter wheelbase, doesn’t go 60 in first gear looks like it might be the ticket for the tight twisties. Are the Ohio 9 like that? Or more sweepers than switchbacks?
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1434 on: September 13, 2024, 12:46:46 pm »
Ride #26    78 miles     Home - Dexter - Home

A lunch run on a nice quieter day today except for the white Trailblazer that blew by me on Six Mile road going 70-80? mph looked like he had robbed a bank swerving through traffic. I followed him on to
275SB, but I quickly lost him at the interchange.
 I stopped for a photo of the mums at the mill, I had the entire front row parking to myself. The blue pickup driver said he got the same photo yesterday.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #1435 on: September 13, 2024, 02:10:51 pm »
#22 today
140 miles to head back to my place and then go to the eye dr again, I had an exam 3 weeks ago,  got the new glasses 2 weeks ago and they were wrong from the start but I  aquist to the tech who said it would take 2 weeks for my eyes to adjust. Bunk.
The Dr did a re exam and found a few differences so they are ordering new lenses...... we shall see. I'm not holding my breath.
Anyhow returned back to my mom's to take her out to dinner for a change.
62° to start at 9am
85° at the high, summer has returned....
Still on the goldwing. No pictures this trip.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1436 on: September 13, 2024, 02:59:07 pm »

I have never been on the Dragon, but I have been on some old roads in WV where I broke a sweat tossing my  loaded 750 back and forth, didn’t get above 20mph for a long time, more like work than fun.
 A lightweight bike, narrow, shorter wheelbase, doesn’t go 60 in first gear looks like it might be the ticket for the tight twisties. Are the Ohio 9 like that? Or more sweepers than switchbacks?

The Windy 9 offers something of both.  The “Rim of the World” along SR78 is mainly open road with big sweepers. I've read where it is one of America’s most popular rides!

The Triple Nickel on the other hand really makes you work for it in certain sections. It is considered the most technically challenging road of the 9, but it does have sections that are not that demanding.  If I'm riding SR555 South to North, I usually take a break in Ringgold.

The Hocking Hills Nipper gives you a bit of both.  SR56 & SR664 in the Hocking Hills area are the most intense, once you move out of that area it gets pretty mild.

One thing I have noticed in my visits to Southern Ohio, and keep in mind I normally go down on SR56, the roads keep getting more and more twisty.  As you get into the Hocking Hills area on SR56 you're thinking this is great and the roads are much more twisty than what you're used to at home.  On the way home, after riding SR374 or SR555, your thinking SR56 is tame and laid-back.  You start getting used to the roller coaster roads the more time you spend in the area.

I've NEVER not had a great time when I went to Southern Ohio.  I'm sure you would love it Kevin.  I'm really hoping to build up the strength to make the trip down there before the weather turns too cold.  I find the best time to go is after school starts, but before the leaves really start falling off the trees.  Also, the rutting season for deer in Ohio starts early in October and the animals are on the move a lot more than usual.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1437 on: September 14, 2024, 05:13:42 am »
Thanks for all that Dennis. Different roads have different character. I have proposed this trip to my son and he’s agreeable except for riding legal with his old man, haha! I’m remembering Highway Patrol and rigid speed limits, but I do my best to stay on the 2 lane at 55 or so, not on the limited access cruising at 70+, and it’s 280 miles home-Athens, notwithstanding detours to Fayette county and/or Springfield. That’s a light day for many of you, not for me.
 I’m having a hard time getting myself and my Honda to the Maumee river.
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1438 on: September 14, 2024, 09:42:42 am »
I’m having a hard time getting myself and my Honda to the Maumee river.

Lord don't I know that feeling.  If I'm not up to it, I just won't go this year.  It's not any fun if it turns into a chore...

Let me know if you decide to make the trip.  With a bit of luck, we could meet up somewhere along the way and do some miles together.   8)

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #1439 on: September 14, 2024, 10:23:27 am »
Ride #41, 126 miles.

Got up early and made myself a big breakfast taco.  I figured out where I wanted to go and waited around a little bit to see if the wind would die down.  I left about 8:30 with a bit of wind coming out of the south and cloudy skies.  The weather guessers were saying clear skies.  They eventually blew away, or at least most of them.  Very comfortable ride, temperature wise.

I need to replace my rear tire so I kept it short, plus I have some work to do.  Just rode down to Kendalia and Sisterdale.  The longhorns seemed to be out in abundance.  I wasn't able to stop and get pics of them all, but this big black and white one was close to the fence and on one of the back roads.  The mini-donks were just across the road, so bonus pic.

These short rides feel like I'm going out for dinner, then getting up from the table and going home after the appetizer.

The new rear tire arrived yesterday, so the Scout is going up on the lift tomorrow.  There's on motorcycle shop in town.  I'm going to call them on Monday and see what they'll charge to mount the new tire.  Even if it's a little more than what I usually pay in San Antonio I would save in gas money.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1440 on: September 14, 2024, 02:32:42 pm »
#94 yesterday for 95 km. from Deer Lake to Cornerbrook and have a look at the supposed Honda dealer. A “Powersports” store with a little of everything. Turns out the only Honda they had on the floor was a Monkey! Not impressed.. Then off to Pasadena to visit my wife’s family for an overnight.

Today rode back to Seal Cove for #95 and 197 km. High temp for the day was 14c and cloudy. Fall is coming!
Analog mind in a digital world..

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #1441 on: September 14, 2024, 08:42:39 pm »
This is #12, if I have counted right.  A couple of low pressure systems have moved through and knocked the fires down and cleared out the smoke.  So time to take a ride along the Snake River again for some photos, this time into Orygun up to Huntington via the back way -

OR201 is a nice road -

I smelled this field before I saw it -

Huntington came pretty close to being wiped out a month ago.  You can see in the background the fire came down to the edge of town -

The cemetery was scorched -

I stopped at the grocery store in Huntington for the obligatory picnic photo -

Some more pix along the Snake River -

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #1442 on: September 16, 2024, 09:12:00 am »
#13.  Another nice day yesterday, so I rode the faithful 750 up to Cascade to see how much fire damage there has been to the surrounding hills.  Even after the moisture we have had, fires are still active.  You can see the smoke in the background looking across Cascade Reservoir.  Fortunately more rain is coming over the next few days.

Cascade Dam -

This '50 Studebaker naturally caught my eye.  Hate the wheels.  That model is one of my all time favorite cars.  Thirty years ago I saw one in a wrecking yard someone had just dropped off.  Pasture condition, but was intact.  I still kick myself for not getting it -

Stopped off at Harpo's for a break.  Went in to find something to eat besides a candy bar.  Slim pickings, the breaded chicken was mostly bread, The foil wrapped cheeseburgers were squashed a little, which meant corn dogs again.  Two days in a row, not recommended.

Rode down Round Valley Road for some views

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1443 on: September 16, 2024, 09:17:27 am »
Greg
Good to hear you are getting some rain to knock down the fires. We have been getting some smoke here in NH.
There a guy here that has some of those bullet StudeB's
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 06:28:26 pm by newday777 »
Stu
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #1444 on: September 16, 2024, 09:36:40 am »
Number 64, 9-14-24, 106 miles, headed N to MI, wandered around then rode home LOL.

Number 65, 9-14,24, 62 miles. Got the CB750K2 out and warmed it up good....had a "golden hour" vibe to it as the sun went down.

Number 66, 9-15-2024, 186 miles. Headed up to Coldwater, MI, then bounced over to Jackson, MI then made my way home.

Bill

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
« Reply #1445 on: September 16, 2024, 04:56:13 pm »
Multi day trip in the books for my 750, was great to meet up with my closest friends and get some kms on the Honda.

Was my friends 50th this year so we had an excuse to get some days on the bikes and hang out.

Fun mix of bikes and abilities. 22 Royal Enfield 650, 90’s Honda 919, 86 Yamaha Fazer 750 (yes the Canadian model was 750)

Think I have a coil wire issue ended up dropping a cylinder suddenly. Had tank off couldn’t find a loose wire but wiggled everything. It ran fine for another 10min and dropped off again.. will see what happened.

My friend with the Fazer is the guy who got me into riding bikes and we’ve done road trips together for 24 years now, so we have a lot of seat time on each others bikes. He was really impressed with the changes in performance to the 750 as it’s the first chance he’s had to take it for a ride this trip.

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1446 on: September 16, 2024, 06:27:10 pm »
Multi day trip in the books for my 750, was great to meet up with my closest friends and get some kms on the Honda.

Was my friends 50th this year so we had an excuse to get some days on the bikes and hang out.

Fun mix of bikes and abilities. 22 Royal Enfield 650, 90’s Honda 919, 86 Yamaha Fazer 750 (yes the Canadian model was 750)

Think I have a coil wire issue ended up dropping a cylinder suddenly. Had tank off couldn’t find a loose wire but wiggled everything. It ran fine for another 10min and dropped off again.. will see what happened.

My friend with the Fazer is the guy who got me into riding bikes and we’ve done road trips together for 24 years now, so we have a lot of seat time on each others bikes. He was really impressed with the changes in performance to the 750 as it’s the first chance he’s had to take it for a ride this trip.

Sounds like a great time.
It's always great to get in a road trip with friends.
So what were the stats of your trip?
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
« Reply #1447 on: September 16, 2024, 08:00:53 pm »
My stats:
A 50yr old, 49, 47, and 46,

2 Hondas, a Yamaha and a Royal enfield.

3 days, lots of gas, several beers, a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of rum.

2 ferry crossings

Map provided in pictures. Google maps no longer provides a trip total and my speedometer is for decorating it seems as it no longer tracks distance or speed accurately.

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #1448 on: September 17, 2024, 11:53:00 am »
Ride #27    124 miles   Home - Stockbridge - Chelsea - Home

I’m taking advantage of the fine weather we are having: Abundant Sunshine and 79f right now, no rain for the rest of the week. This might be the best stretch we have had this season. Summer is winding down, it’s been dry for a while, everything that’s not watered is changing color. Nothing gorgeous yet, just dried out. Apples are in early, cider mills open. Deer hunting is ramping up, keep your head on a swivel guys, there were several dead deer on the side of the road.
 Lunch was a coney combo in Chelsea. Sorry no pix today, I couldn’t hold the Honda back even for a portrait.
Here’s a photo from 2 weeks back, a silver pony. This place used to be a u-pick berry farm, now it’s deluxe accommodations for your horse.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 12:15:13 pm by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1449 on: September 17, 2024, 02:52:56 pm »
#23 today for 75 miles in the late summer temperatures on 80° up to84°F, left my mom's house @12:30 after my oldest sister picked her up to go visit my youngest sister.
So I headed east across into Maine, stopped at the old Iron railroad bridge crossing the Salmon River at Salmon Falls and the big old mill buildings, then northward parallel with the river and the border on roads I haven't riden before, a great ride taking the narrow 2 lane roads, up past a few good size lakes, then back west into Wakefield NH before heading south.  I stopped about 20 miles down at a friend's Antique Boat restoration shop, he wasn't there so I called him and he said to swing by his house on the lake back acrosstheborder, caught up with him for half an hour and then went for a ride in his wooden boat for another half hour.
Then headed back south to fix mom's dinner.
All in all a great ride and great roads.
Stu
My current rides

Prior bikes....