Author Topic: Re-Jetting CB550 for Exhaust  (Read 495 times)

Offline 88BuckMeister

• Enthusiast
Re-Jetting CB550 for Exhaust
« on: January 21, 2024, 06:18:36 pm »
Again all, new to this. What are your preferences to jet sizes for installing a 4-into-1 exhaust on a 75 CB550?

Secondly, I've noticed people saying switch to Uni foam pods, my old man says NO side winds and such affect performance, nothing beats stock in terms of reliability but I also see there's a uni foam filter for the stock airbox?

Either way re-jetting will be required no matter what. Thoughts on jets preferred for 4-inti-1? Will I need to further change the jets if I go with pods or would those be the same ranges no matter what?

Thanks, Buck

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
Re: Re-Jetting CB550 for Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 07:23:50 pm »
The stock air box is the best for tuning, with pods you will be fighting different air flow especially in wind conditions.
A uni filter or a K&N for the stock airbox, if you can find them, will result in a better running motor. Can it be done with pods? Sure but lots of futzing will be required, it's not a one size cure all. It will take several size sets to do plug chops to find the right set. You will need to obtain Keihin brass jets to do it if you want good results.

Properly getting the correct size jets will require knowing what all the variables are, in the motor build, elevation, as well as exhaust and intake.

Have you read the thread on running pods? It's a sticky at the top of the sohc4 bikes section.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,182280.0.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:28:28 pm by newday777 »
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 05:19:51 am »
Most folks end up running 105 main jets with your performance models, and maybe enriching the clip position one groove.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Captainkirk

• Certified bike nut
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 09:44:04 am »
Sounds like your old man knows his stuff. Just sayin'. ::)
It's easier to ask forgiveness than to gain permission.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 10:34:42 am »
In my experience...since the exhaust pipes are too short on the 500/550 bike to effect an actual suction (even with4-1 headers), these bikes never needed mainjet changes for pipe changes. In fact, even with roadrace pipes (megaphones, the real ones) used in the 1970s on them, the most jetting change ever needed was to cope with the constantly-low float-bowl levels that came from constant 8000+ RPM running. Then they ran so rich at in-pit speeds that they were difficult to clear out when the pit stop was over, blowing black from their pipe(s) until they cleaned out again.

Changing the MOST EXCELLENT intake tract of this bike is [first of all] a travesty IMHO, as it was Honda's final solution to the problems developed by a broad 4-cylinder engine creating so much air turbulence in the carbs at hiway speeds that mixing became tricky, and this change became the OEM solution for all Japanese bike makers afterward. This is also why so many changes happened with the 750 over its K0-K6 lifetime. The swap in that bike from HM300 open pipes to the HM341 baffled pipes played the other 'step change' part in that saga, with the change (in Honda's major market, the USA) in national speed limits from 70+ MPH to 55 MPH playing the major impetus in the evolution.

So...I'd suggest: put the pipes on, run it for at least 100 miles with new sparkplugs, then look at the color of the plugs. If they are chalk white, consider going up in octane (like to premium grade) and re-test. BTW: this bike runs on Regular with today's fuels: today the Regular burns at about the same speed as Premium did in the 1970s when they were designed.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline 88BuckMeister

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 12:42:23 pm »

Thanks DAD. DIDN'T KNOW YOU FOLLOWED MY POSTS 🤣

Offline Captainkirk

• Certified bike nut
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 01:19:50 pm »

Thanks DAD. DIDN'T KNOW YOU FOLLOWED MY POSTS 🤣

My guys are tracking your every move.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than to gain permission.