Author Topic: Honest opinion needed  (Read 667 times)

Offline 88BuckMeister

• Enthusiast
Honest opinion needed
« on: January 20, 2024, 08:09:49 pm »
I'm new to this and I feel like I'm somewhat over my head. I'm in the process of a 650-550 cam swap with a 591cc 61mm piston kit. I shaved material out of the head to get the lobes to clear. Now I apparently have to check to make sure the lobes don't contact the rocker arms and do a mock assembly using clay to check valve clearances. I feel like if I am going to follow though with this mod, now would be the time to do it with the engine out of the bike. I do have a new stock grind cam for it too...I keep asking myself...should I just put the damn thing together with the stock cam? Will I ever follow through with the 650 cam upgrade down the line?

Thus far I've purchased the 650 cam, the new tach drive, racing valve springs from Dynoman, I've already got the 591cc big bore kit installed, I bought a 16 tooth front sprocket, and that's where I'm at.

What is your guys' advise. Will the power boost be THAT MUCH MORE that you day "dude take your time, this mod is worth it", or is it that "your 61mm big bore piston kit is sufficient, just put the new stock grind cam in. It's not that big a difference in power". I've never ridden this bike or any 550 for that matter before so it's not like I even have anything to compare it to anyways. Thoughts? Somebody sway me. It'll be a LOT less of a headache to use the new stock grind cam. But if the 650 cam mod is worth the headache, let me know and I'll follow through. Just reading a lot of horror stories from people that "missed something" in the process of this mod

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Honest opinion needed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 09:28:15 pm »
Just install the stock cam for now and save yourself the anguish. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 04:55:43 am »
If you are wishy washy in your abilities,  get hold of Kurt Jordan out in San Diego. He has built many of these 650 conversions and knows them well, he is in high demand because of his expertise doing race motors and was a racer too with these.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 09:21:07 am »
If you can find similar dimensioned light weight springs, at say the hardware store, there is a better way to check piston to valve clearance.  What piston kit did you use?  Wiseco's?  Gonna be a significant bump in compression, which is gonna improve performance more significantly than just an increase in displacement, but may be detonation prone with stock cam.  If you used chinese flat tops, not much compression gain, and not much performance gain either.  However I don't think the 650 cam is a huge difference from the 550...especially compared to a true performance or race grind...the 650 cam in a 550 was always more of just "well it's cheap and easy and it's slightly better so if one is available, might as well use it" type of thing...not to say that many have not been happy with it.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Mark1976

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 11:00:03 am »
   So, regardless of the method you choose to determine piston to valve clearance's, finding out what the numbers are is what's important and at the worst your out the cost of a head gasket, maybe even a base gasket (chicken scratch). We'll be able find out what a proper number is as you progress. When in doubt go back to your piston mfgr and see what information they may have to offer. It takes a little effort and time but its what you have to do to assure its not going to turn into a pile of useless metal and frustration.
   If not, just install a stock 550 cam and be done with it. Of course you'll never really know what the potential the larger bore has to offer as well as the knowledge gained from properly following thru.
   Spend a little more time researching the methods of determining valve to piston clearance,  its not difficult, its a learning experience. Your in Illinois, its not like you can ride it tomorrow. When you have a engine build of this nature various parts (cam), various suppliers (pistons, gaskets) you don't just throw it together. Well, you can, but you sure as hell shouldn't. It'll take some well invested time, but won't be a waste of time either.
Start with the end in mind...

Offline 88BuckMeister

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 05:11:48 pm »
   So, regardless of the method you choose to determine piston to valve clearance's, finding out what the numbers are is what's important and at the worst your out the cost of a head gasket, maybe even a base gasket (chicken scratch). We'll be able find out what a proper number is as you progress. When in doubt go back to your piston mfgr and see what information they may have to offer. It takes a little effort and time but its what you have to do to assure its not going to turn into a pile of useless metal and frustration.
   If not, just install a stock 550 cam and be done with it. Of course you'll never really know what the potential the larger bore has to offer as well as the knowledge gained from properly following thru.
   Spend a little more time researching the methods of determining valve to piston clearance,  its not difficult, its a learning experience. Your in Illinois, its not like you can ride it tomorrow. When you have a engine build of this nature various parts (cam), various suppliers (pistons, gaskets) you don't just throw it together. Well, you can, but you sure as hell shouldn't. It'll take some well invested time, but won't be a waste of time either.

You mentioned base gaskets lol now I'll be the first to tell you you're the one who has inspired me to see this theiugh, and as you said, with time and patience I've been pleased with the results. Ugh but that base gasket...everything on this motor is high end, the base gasket looked cheap. Of was from 4-into-1. My old man says look it's not a head gasket, it'll work fine. Will it? Do I need a high end base gasket? Ugh that means I'd have to take the cylinders back off. Those were a nightmare with bent rings and re-bores galore. I think it'll do the job

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 07:04:24 pm »
The base gasket is not critical. Keep the one you have installed.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Mark1976

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 07:10:57 pm »
The base gasket is not critical. Keep the one you have installed.

+1
Start with the end in mind...

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 07:33:32 pm »
I have no actual experience with installing and running a CB650 camshaft in the 550 engine;with that in mind,I would still 'go for it' and install the 650 camshaft. I say this because it's what I would personally choose to do,for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 07:35:59 pm by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.