Author Topic: 1978 CB750A Exhaust Guide Issues  (Read 307 times)

Offline LiveeviL81

• Turbomatic
1978 CB750A Exhaust Guide Issues
« on: February 10, 2024, 12:13:47 pm »
Hey All,
I noticed today after cleaning my head that the 4th cylinder's exhaust valve guide is slightly raised compared to the other cylinders. The snap ring is seated slightly in the groove on the guide, but it is not flush with the casting compared to the others. Is this something I need to fix before assembly? Is it as easy as heating the area up and trying to press it further? Appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kaleb
Young, Dumb, and Broke, hoping to fix 2 of those.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: 1978 CB750A Exhaust Guide Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 01:08:13 pm »
I've seen that on MANY of the CB750 engines. It is a 'stop' for the head assembler person, not a 'holding device'. It doesn't hurt anything for it to be a little bit higher or lower than the others unless you're installing a maximum-lift cam of some sort. The valve's position is determined by the cam's lobe (and the rocker arm), so it runs fine that way.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline LiveeviL81

• Turbomatic
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 11:47:24 am »
I've seen that on MANY of the CB750 engines. It is a 'stop' for the head assembler person, not a 'holding device'. It doesn't hurt anything for it to be a little bit higher or lower than the others unless you're installing a maximum-lift cam of some sort. The valve's position is determined by the cam's lobe (and the rocker arm), so it runs fine that way.

Appreciate the info. I was worried it could cause an issue with valve wear, or when determining valve spring height/preload. I wont worry about.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 03:18:15 pm »

Appreciate the info. I was worried it could cause an issue with valve wear, or when determining valve spring height/preload. I wont worry about.
It will affect retainer to seal clearance but if you are using a cam with under .375" lift you're fine.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline LiveeviL81

• Turbomatic
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 11:11:50 am »

It will affect retainer to seal clearance but if you are using a cam with under .375" lift you're fine.

Planning on using a 76' K cam, I'll measure the lift to be sure.