Author Topic: Loose is better than tight…. No sir it’s just loose  (Read 3699 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Loose is better than tight…. No sir it’s just loose
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2024, 06:40:38 am »
Their Hindle 4-2-1 has a very good fit. It is very light. The baffle is a little heavier than the header.

I wondered why pay much for a titan header when I held Hindle pipes.

If carbs/ignition causing bluish pipes, just polish/grind the pipes after carbs/ignition is corrected.
A ride later back to even bronze tone.

Kemp is a nice guy, very helpful.

About the tacked fin. I should fill the repair with JB Weld.

Black engine need constant cleaning. Alu-silver not.

Early 80's, most of us here sprayed our cylinders black. I used wrong paint, for hotter parts like exhaust so it never cured hard and always looked dirty. ;D
JB Weld makes a very high heat version too.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2024, 06:54:53 am »
Good info Mike!
Epoxy version is what I might need. Best to have before needing it!!
https://www.jbweld.com/product/high-heat-syringe

They have some good stuff.

I have done some repair for time-sert on a head with the original epoxy.
Plugged holes for cam holder studs from plug cavity side too.

I have a few packages of original epoxy. The importer here has written about shelf life of 25 years or more.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2024, 08:04:43 am »

I have to say Millennium could have done a better job on that fin repair. You can get it cleaned up more with a Dremel and some sanding rolls. Are you painting the cylinder black or silver?? I am sure the boring and cylinder bore finish is exactly what it is supposed to. Somebody asked if they can apply Nikasil to iron cylinders.....they can. The hot ticket is to make aluminum sleeves and have those coated. ;)
 I was talking with Kemp from Ripple Rock just last week. He is a great fella to deal with and I highly recommend their products. ;)

What grade of aluminum ?? I would think the application would undo the "T6" in 6061T6 ??

Bill

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2024, 02:12:28 pm »
6061 will work. That's what I used for my billet block. It was very stable throught the machining process. 7075 would work OK too though I do not claim to be an expert in metals. ;D

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2024, 02:44:17 pm »
6061 will work. That's what I used for my billet block. It was very stable throught the machining process. 7075 would work OK too though I do not claim to be an expert in metals. ;D

Not sure if you have heard of Steve Morris ?? if you have not you are in for a treat. He is making completely  billet V8's that are upgrades of LS and big block chevy. They ended up having to partially machine then heat treat their blocks and heads.

7075 is good stuff but probably not necessary, and as far as SOHC billet blocks the 6061 would weld a lot better if something went amiss that required welding.

I'll never be an expert but I like to study anyway LOL.
the artificial aging temperature for 6061-T6 (second step that strengthens the product) is ~ 320-350 F

Bill

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2024, 07:09:17 pm »

Not sure if you have heard of Steve Morris ?? if you have not you are in for a treat. He is making completely  billet V8's that are upgrades of LS and big block chevy. They ended up having to partially machine then heat treat their blocks and heads.

7075 is good stuff but probably not necessary, and as far as SOHC billet blocks the 6061 would weld a lot better if something went amiss that required welding.

I'll never be an expert but I like to study anyway LOL.
the artificial aging temperature for 6061-T6 (second step that strengthens the product) is ~ 320-350 F

Bill
I can see having to heat treat a V8 block to stabilize it.....that's a lot of material! God.....waste on that must be around 70% or so. What does that piece of aluminum start at as...400 lbs or so?

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2024, 02:42:46 pm »
I'd have to go back and watch the video again. It took them a lot of work and money to get it all working.

Here is the video where they go into it, Tom Bailey supported the project in a big way, the Horizontal Machining Center belongs to him I think. You can google his net worth. Dude was the first to ever run the whole Hot Rod drag week sub 6 seconds tho. And drive over 1k miles between events.

700lb raw weight 300 semi finished weight. The video is worth the 18 minutes to watch it I think :-). Totally dry deck block, the engine will take 70lbs of boost and make 3000+ hp, and drive a thousand miles.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2024, 06:10:50 pm »
I meant to say 400lbs finished.....I would have thought 800 to 850lbs raw. Lots of chips in the Gaylord for sure. ;D ;D

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2024, 04:38:34 am »
I meant to say 400lbs finished.....I would have thought 800 to 850lbs raw. Lots of chips in the Gaylord for sure. ;D ;D

I told him I would get an annular cutter (rotabroach) to slug out those cylinders then sell the slugs on ebay once he had stacked them deep enough for his own uses :-).

Bill

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2024, 07:30:40 pm »
All this talk of the 'aluminum block' reminds me of one Oldsmobile made in the 1960s (and my 1st stepfather bought as "advanced engineering") in their 185 HP 215 CID that lasted just 21k miles before you could use it to drive away mosquitos. Someone told me that GM 'hardened' the aluminum bores (no iron liners) for that engine. Dunno for sure?

Then there was the Vega.
I wonder if any of those still run?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline paul_cb836

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2024, 12:31:27 am »
The Olds block was used as the basis for the 1966 F1 world champion car. Car was built and driven to the world championship by Sir Jack Brabham. As you can imagine, the only time this has ever happened - could only be done by an Aussie😀.

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2024, 08:43:48 am »
All this talk of the 'aluminum block' reminds me of one Oldsmobile made in the 1960s (and my 1st stepfather bought as "advanced engineering") in their 185 HP 215 CID that lasted just 21k miles before you could use it to drive away mosquitos. Someone told me that GM 'hardened' the aluminum bores (no iron liners) for that engine. Dunno for sure?

Then there was the Vega.

Found this info............
Reynolds Aluminum—which would later build the aluminum body for a rotary-powered Corvette concept for GM—developed the precise aluminum alloy required for the sleeveless aluminum engine. Designated A-390, it featured 17-percent silicon, used for its hardness and scuff resistance. While the new die casting process developed just for this engine distributed the silicon uniformly throughout the block, subsequent machining and etching then left the cylinder bores formed of pure silicon.

As noted in multiple sources, linerless aluminum engines are not problematic on their own. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche have all used linerless aluminum engines in the years since to great success. According to Jacobsen, some pre-production Vega engines did have problems with scuffed cylinder walls, problems attributed to excessive honing pressure during the machining process; he claimed that those problems were resolved prior to production engines reaching the public.

Found this too.

After the engine had been in production for a while, customers would go back to the dealer complaining about oil consumption... the mechanic would peer down the bore scope and observe cylinder scuffing. We eventually found out that the problem had never been the scuffing of the (cylinder) bore. The real problem was the valve stem seals. They'd harden, split, fall off, and oil would leak down past the valves and into the combustion chamber. So we did some experiments. When we got an oil burner, we simply replaced the valve-stem seals, and that cured it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 08:59:26 am by willbird »

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2024, 07:39:50 pm »

Then there was the Vega.

Found this info............
Reynolds Aluminum—which would later build the aluminum body for a rotary-powered Corvette concept for GM—developed the precise aluminum alloy required for the sleeveless aluminum engine. Designated A-390, it featured 17-percent silicon, used for its hardness and scuff resistance. While the new die casting process developed just for this engine distributed the silicon uniformly throughout the block, subsequent machining and etching then left the cylinder bores formed of pure silicon.

As noted in multiple sources, linerless aluminum engines are not problematic on their own. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche have all used linerless aluminum engines in the years since to great success. According to Jacobsen, some pre-production Vega engines did have problems with scuffed cylinder walls, problems attributed to excessive honing pressure during the machining process; he claimed that those problems were resolved prior to production engines reaching the public.

Found this too.

After the engine had been in production for a while, customers would go back to the dealer complaining about oil consumption... the mechanic would peer down the bore scope and observe cylinder scuffing. We eventually found out that the problem had never been the scuffing of the (cylinder) bore. The real problem was the valve stem seals. They'd harden, split, fall off, and oil would leak down past the valves and into the combustion chamber. So we did some experiments. When we got an oil burner, we simply replaced the valve-stem seals, and that cured it.

That's real interesting about the Olds engine: the one my [1st] stepfather had only lasted 14 months from brand new before it used 2 quarts of oil between changes at 4000 miles (recommended then). Whether this was the valves or not, I can't say: I know they (my stepbrother and stepdad) got tired of changing sparkplugs and parked it. Mom and he divorced shortly after that, so I never found out what happened with that car?

The Vegas, though: it seemed that by 1980 their biggest use was to house a 350 Chevy block, lots of those around here in CO.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com