Author Topic: mikuni carb spacing to CB750 adapters  (Read 524 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
mikuni carb spacing to CB750 adapters
« on: May 13, 2024, 10:46:28 am »
 It appears that Z1 enterprises has one set of Mikuni 29 smoothbore to Honda carb adapter intakes left. I used a set of them on my Rat Race 836 bike, and they worked great.

I ordered a set last night, stock showed two, and my set has shipped, the order shows they are the 005.026 Sudco/UPP polyurethane ones, there was the urge to buy them both, but no.

A set of VM29's are coming off of my Suzuki due to them having the Honda/Kawasaki 1.5 slides rather than the 2.0 slides the GS wants. Getting a set of Honda intakes seemed like a good move to go with the 29's.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: mikuni carb spacing to CB750 adapters
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 11:40:09 pm »
It seems like the price 29 smoothies has gotten high enough that a set of Keihin CRs or Mikuni RS is just a better option for the cb's

I am half tempted to pull the 29's off my kz1000 and sell for a healthy profit and put a set of Z1 28's on there...the damn thing scares the #$%* out of me every time I wack those 29's open anyway lol
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 05:53:21 am »
It seems like the price 29 smoothies has gotten high enough that a set of Keihin CRs or Mikuni RS is just a better option for the cb's

I am half tempted to pull the 29's off my kz1000 and sell for a healthy profit and put a set of Z1 28's on there...the damn thing scares the #$%* out of me every time I wack those 29's open anyway lol

I was digging back through PM's and found where somebody had shared that the "Canadian CB750 nighthawk" carbs might be a good choice as far as value for the $$. From a look at Ebay they appear to be a CV carb.

Bill

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 08:35:58 am »
 That's exactly my plan, sell the 29's to a Kawasaki or Honda go fasty type and get the 1100 a set of 36's. I have the jetting numbers for the CB or KZ. 
That said, with the 29's the GS is still faster than anything I've ever been on, but it's jetted several sizes oversize. Worst case, I'll spend the $300 for the 2.0 slides and make them work.

Edit, the gs is running awesome (although rich with a flat spot) with the 29's re-jetted and is waiting for new air filters.  The K&N made it even richer

« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 02:00:36 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 02:40:44 pm »
 I got the intake manifolds today, I'm putting the 29's back on the GS with jetting from Greg Cope's notes in the APE website. I'm all there except the slides.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 09:04:39 pm »
RS 34's work awesome, so much better, my .02 and experience, having ran both. Price for RS' much more bang for the buck. And swapping needle position s much quicker. also. I also have CBX750 carbs, they are CV's, I'm going put them on the Automatic. I believe they're 34's also, but need to verify. Good luck.
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 08:51:02 am »
 I put a couple of the cb750 facebook guys on the trail of the last set of Mikuni carb adapters. One of them would like a deal on mine. Not happening unless they go with the carbs.
 I was offered an 850 Suzuki on trade for my carbs, then an 850 and $200. I'm not looking for projects. It would have to be awesome for me to take a bike.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 01:58:06 pm »
 I removed the ad, there's too much BS on marketplace. Some guys post just looking for an argument. Several just wanted the Honda adapters so I'd assume they have Mikuni's already.

I thought I had the last set of those carb rubbers, now I'd say I have two of the last three sets. If I ever see the UPP brand ones I'll grab them too, they're urethane and I'm hoping they will last a long time.