Author Topic: New pistons  (Read 165 times)

Offline 1080

• Hot Shot
New pistons
« on: May 25, 2024, 07:49:34 pm »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 07:52:34 pm by 1080 »

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: New pistons
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 08:41:32 pm »
It's possible: Ford did it with their "50 HP engine" which was the one we all know as the 390 CID V-8... in 1962. Their "50 HP" designation was the per-cylinder HP that the engine was capable of producing. I had one of the production 390 CID 335 HP engines in my 1963 Galaxie convertible. Even by today's standards, that car made folks sit up and watch it go.

The reason those really smart guys didn't put the dimples into production, though, was the carbon build-up issue that was common with 1960s-type fuels: taking any car engine of the day apart for a re-ring job included scraping off up to 1/8" thick carbon deposits from the piston crowns, which would mean their little divots didn't stay there in operation: they just filled in with carbon. For that reason primarily, the further R&D was scrapped in favor of making the 750+HP SOHC streetable version of the 427 engine instead, which was the outgrowth of the same 50 HP design. When they put two 4-bbl carbs on it, they got 850+HP at 8500 RPM, so the R&D group went in a whole 'nuther direction after that. The monster engine only got 10 MPG, though.

I've got a copy of the published portions of that article around here somewhere. Those engines are today being made by a private company in tandem with Ford, for [now] racing purposes only. They have reached well past 1000 HP with it.
;)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com