Author Topic: fascinating race bike build talk  (Read 502 times)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
fascinating race bike build talk
« on: July 19, 2024, 01:45:01 pm »
Well, it's not about our sohcs, but deals with same period. very long and detailed discussion on the development work of Udo Gietl on the AMA BMW superbikes in the mid 70's by Kevin Cameron....  Surely there is somehtign to apply from here to any race bike build... enjoy

https://dai.ly/x92c9pe

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: fascinating race bike build talk
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 05:49:17 pm »
Lots of LLLLooooonnnnggggggg ads. Anyway...pretty standard performance engine stuff like tight squish, light parts etc etc. I like Cameron though I have some funny stories about him from fellas from the early 70's that dealt with him in Boston.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2024, 09:59:21 am »
odd.. i had no ads... anyway, funny stories? we are all ears... :)

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2024, 07:19:12 pm »
No funny stories but I must say it did get me thinking  :D
The anecdote of how fast you go depends on how high the pile of broken parts is...............correct.
Also his detailed description of the dyno work on piston bore relationships also made me think of the forum discussions regarding cheap cast pistons ie cruising image versus expensive forged. The choice is dependant on the budget and if your planning to explore the danger zone ie 50 mile engines, it would be better to stand on a pile of cheap cast pistons until you found the edge.  I often think of the worlds fastest Indian LSR record where Munro kept cooking pistons made from him melting pistons from old cars to make a new set machined up in his old lathe. With all the wonderful modern metallurgy in piston material and computer aided design aint no-one gone faster  ;D
Always nice to hear from the old timers who done it the hard way.
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.

Offline willbird

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2024, 11:31:20 am »
No funny stories but I must say it did get me thinking  :D
The anecdote of how fast you go depends on how high the pile of broken parts is...............correct.
Also his detailed description of the dyno work on piston bore relationships also made me think of the forum discussions regarding cheap cast pistons ie cruising image versus expensive forged. The choice is dependant on the budget and if your planning to explore the danger zone ie 50 mile engines, it would be better to stand on a pile of cheap cast pistons until you found the edge.  I often think of the worlds fastest Indian LSR record where Munro kept cooking pistons made from him melting pistons from old cars to make a new set machined up in his old lathe. With all the wonderful modern metallurgy in piston material and computer aided design aint no-one gone faster  ;D
Always nice to hear from the old timers who done it the hard way.

I read some work where they talked to Burt. A couple things he felt did not come across well were how much TIME he invested in his bike, he had tallied it up and I am remembering thousands of hours a year, nearly a full time job invested in the bike. He also said they glossed over the fact that he had a Myford lathe. I recall him talking about re working the drive gear by hand on a magneto in order to make it fit his bike. I think he had a pile of money he could have tapped into but he did not choose to.

Bill

Bill

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 06:22:39 pm »
Kevin was loaned a CR-72 for a motorcycle article and disassembled the engine. He returned the engine disassembled. ;D I knew the late owner.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2024, 08:29:20 am »
I remember that article....

good one, maybe he was out of gaskets :)