Author Topic: Steve Morris explains bearings.  (Read 124 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Steve Morris explains bearings.
« on: September 12, 2024, 03:06:01 pm »
 I heard something you guys explained to me a while back about the ends of the shells sticking up above the case. There might be something you didn't know yet.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Dresda500

Re: Steve Morris explains bearings.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024, 06:43:49 am »
Great video.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 09:11:47 am »
 That guy shows it all, like when a bolt breaks off, goes in the engine and dings things up, it shows me that #$%* happens to pro engine builders, not just me. I asked an NHRA pro-stock racer/builder about backing off valve springs recently, he prefers to rotate the engine every couple weeks because backing them off it's too easy for a pushrod to drop out of position and damage a rocker. That's not just a "me" thing either.
 When his dyno broke, over revved an engine and blew a procharger part through the window of the dyno call he showed it all and admitted there were new dyno parts there waiting for the upgrade, he just didn't get to it yet.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Dresda500

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 02:08:15 pm »
That's interesting to hear about the valve springs. We quit that more than a decade ago an have never seen any difference. Of course I don'tr have a Pro Stock engine, but most all race springs are well under the yield limit of the material at full lift and its the heat that kills springs among other things, but I don't know many that do it longer. I think I'd be more worried about metallic creep of the roller or lobe nose than the spring honestly, although it wasn't specified why they those to rotate. I'd love to hear more if ya'll discussed in more detail.

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2024, 07:51:56 am »
As a young crew guy I had always been taught to pull the pushrods out of our funnycar motors when sitting for extended periods like over the winter so as to keep the springs from loosing pressure. One of my full time racer pals thought this was ridiculous, so to prove it, after the World Finals one year, he pulled apart the heads, pressure tested one spring, then clamped it in a bench vise at virtually coil bind compression. Made a big show of testing and then writing the spring pressure on the vise with a sharpie. It sat untouched for about 3 months. The week before leaving for the Winternationals, he unclamped the spring and tested it, there was absolutely no pressure difference at any lift point. Now, these were springs did see close to .800" lift and we weren't even 400 lbs on the seat yet, but you get the idea. Still, I can't tell you how many guys who came up doing it continue the practice to this day - and we have WAY better springs.
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341