Author Topic: Mach III 500  (Read 432 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Mach III 500
« on: September 16, 2024, 02:29:05 pm »
 My old street rod club buddy inherited his dads old one owner Kawasaki Mach III with just over 1200 miles on it. The tank was perfect inside, he added a battery, got the carbs cleaned and it starts perfectly but the clutch is stuck. He tried tying the lever back and a few heat cycles, bumping it in 5th gear with the lever held back etc, any other ideas to free it before he has to take it apart?
 This little ripper looks new. Dang.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Re: Mach III 500
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 04:30:29 pm »
I would have taken it apart sooner but even if he gets it freed up the clutch in my experience won't last long. The last two bikes with stuck clutches only lasted a 1000 miles or less after it was free.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 06:14:46 pm »
 Thanks Kelly, I offered to go over and help and take my former Kawi mechanic brother. He won't turn a wrench but he will direct me to.

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 03:08:28 am »
Any chance he can get a flat headed screwdriver between the plates through the dipstick hole?

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 04:40:21 am »
The kawasaki triples are notorious for the clutch plates sticking together after a long layup. Mine did it after 10 years sitting with a blown crank. My solution was to bump start it in gear then go for a longish ride around the neighborhood - once the gearbox oil got nice and hot the clutch freed up, and it's still going strong 20 years later!

1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Online Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2024, 06:16:59 am »

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2024, 07:18:13 am »
Whatever that is, it looks dangerous!
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Online Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2024, 07:55:02 am »
Whatever that is, it looks dangerous!
JL Meccanica VDR, two H1 engines.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2024, 08:46:20 am »
The kawasaki triples are notorious for the clutch plates sticking together after a long layup. Mine did it after 10 years sitting with a blown crank. My solution was to bump start it in gear then go for a longish ride around the neighborhood - once the gearbox oil got nice and hot the clutch freed up, and it's still going strong 20 years later!

There's several of the Kawi triples out there (the later ones with points) that are running the Triple Transistor Ignition: one is in AUS, one in Europe (Germany, IIRC), another in the Dubai area, one in South Africa and one in Thailand. Is yours one of the points versions? I don't remember when the electronic box disappeared from those bikes.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2024, 02:36:08 pm »
I think he's probably going to have to strip it. He could try running it for a while til it is hot, also some fresh thin oil  (/ATF) might help. Also it is worth checking the release mechanism isn't stuck and is adjusted ok, it is a worm screw with a central pushrod adjuster, found under the sprocket cover.

Hondaman, there were a few variations of ignitions, depending on model year and country. I picked up an unfinished project 1970 H1 last year and it has the early type of CDI ignition, it is a strange thing with one coil and a distributor, surface discharge plugs, 2 ignition boxes and a hall sender that is triggered 3 times every crank revolution. When all is working correctly the wire between the 2 boxes is carrying 400 volts. It does actually work very well now I have replaced one of the boxes that was faulty, though I did look into a conversion that was common years ago using a Chevy HEI ignition unit, I got it running on that but couldn't get it to rev cleanly, then I managed to find a replacement for the faulty box & haven't investigated the HEI idea further yet.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2024, 07:34:32 pm »
I think he's probably going to have to strip it. He could try running it for a while til it is hot, also some fresh thin oil  (/ATF) might help. Also it is worth checking the release mechanism isn't stuck and is adjusted ok, it is a worm screw with a central pushrod adjuster, found under the sprocket cover.

Hondaman, there were a few variations of ignitions, depending on model year and country. I picked up an unfinished project 1970 H1 last year and it has the early type of CDI ignition, it is a strange thing with one coil and a distributor, surface discharge plugs, 2 ignition boxes and a hall sender that is triggered 3 times every crank revolution. When all is working correctly the wire between the 2 boxes is carrying 400 volts. It does actually work very well now I have replaced one of the boxes that was faulty, though I did look into a conversion that was common years ago using a Chevy HEI ignition unit, I got it running on that but couldn't get it to rev cleanly, then I managed to find a replacement for the faulty box & haven't investigated the HEI idea further yet.

I was trying to help someone (by remote) to forestall the frequent failures of the magic early boxes, but he gave up after a while and I haven't heard from him in a long time. We both surmised that the #1 failure cause of the early boxes was their need for cooling in ways that couldn't easily be accommodated on the bike. Others have had differing ideas, but we never got to finalize the research. I think he just ran out of money?

The surface-discharge plug versions were the real short-lived ones I remember: in those first 2 years of the bikes I knew one rider who had 3 new ones under warranty and 2 more before I left the area a year later. The oscillator for the CDI was running at full current and heat all the time, so when riding around in town it got real hot. This seemed to be one of the major culprits. By 1972 Kawi changed over to points and condensors like most bike, and a bunch of those ended up with my box attached to preserve those hard-to-get parts.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2024, 08:25:01 am »

There's several of the Kawi triples out there (the later ones with points) that are running the Triple Transistor Ignition: one is in AUS, one in Europe (Germany, IIRC), another in the Dubai area, one in South Africa and one in Thailand. Is yours one of the points versions? I don't remember when the electronic box disappeared from those bikes.

Hey HM...I believe '72 was the only year the H1 came with points from the factory. 

Don - what year is it? The early models have become very valuable.

I love my '74....

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2024, 10:04:03 am »
I have a mate who has frame number 7

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2024, 11:20:12 am »
Don,I hope you fix it and take it for a 'spirited' ride  ;D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2024, 04:18:52 pm »
Any chance he can get a flat headed screwdriver between the plates through the dipstick hole?
I don't know, but I told him that it worked on my kz1000. I thought he said it is a 68 but it must have been 69.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 04:21:19 pm by Don R »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2024, 07:13:50 am »
I thought he said it is a 68 but it must have been 69.

Yes, '69 is the first year.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2024, 08:58:26 am »
Don…. the Sandcast project bike had the same stuck clutch. It took a few hours, but I eventually had to pull the plates. They easily popped apart using a thin scrapper. Cleaned them all and sanded off the rust on the metal plates. Put it all back together and it works perfectly…..

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2024, 04:34:55 am »

My 1971 H1A is Australian delivered and came standard with points. It has the very 1st Hondaman Triple Transistor Ignition. The only issue I've ever had was a failed condenser. The system delivers a nice fat spark. Points have absolutely no wear.
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2024, 08:30:57 am »

My 1971 H1A is Australian delivered and came standard with points. It has the very 1st Hondaman Triple Transistor Ignition. The only issue I've ever had was a failed condenser. The system delivers a nice fat spark. Points have absolutely no wear.

Do you run the 3) OEM condensers ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2024, 02:34:40 pm »
Here's my one, out for a 50 mile ride today. I bought it a year or so ago as an unfinished project, it's pretty much sorted now & rides well. Its odd CDI is entirely original, that's quite important for these as buyers are very keen on originality and correctness. I can't see myself keeping it for long anyway as I don't particularly rate the riding experience and I've a lot of money tied up in it which could be used for bikes I'd get more enjoyment from. This one is a bit too original and standard for me, I think I'd be better off with a scruffier later one that I could fit decent twin discs to, alloy rims, some nice pipes & big carbs etc.

One other observation- I have a 400F with a Yoshi 460 conversion, head-work, cam, big carbs etc etc. That has quite peaky power, around 50 rwhp, and actually rides pretty similarly to the H1 - similar acceleration, similar weight, but it has decent ground clearance, decent handling, and decent stopping from its twin discs up front (and decent mpg too), hence the H1 is usually left at home...

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2024, 07:51:01 pm »
Do you run the 3) OEM condensers ?

Yes. Apparently they are not necessary, but I run them anyhow. The weirdest thing about Mark's unit is seeing absolutely no sparks from the points.
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2024, 07:53:49 pm »
Here's my one, out for a 50 mile ride today. I bought it a year or so ago as an unfinished project, it's pretty much sorted now & rides well. Its odd CDI is entirely original, that's quite important for these as buyers are very keen on originality and correctness. I can't see myself keeping it for long anyway as I don't particularly rate the riding experience and I've a lot of money tied up in it which could be used for bikes I'd get more enjoyment from. This one is a bit too original and standard for me, I think I'd be better off with a scruffier later one that I could fit decent twin discs to, alloy rims, some nice pipes & big carbs etc.

One other observation- I have a 400F with a Yoshi 460 conversion, head-work, cam, big carbs etc etc. That has quite peaky power, around 50 rwhp, and actually rides pretty similarly to the H1 - similar acceleration, similar weight, but it has decent ground clearance, decent handling, and decent stopping from its twin discs up front (and decent mpg too), hence the H1 is usually left at home...

Is that magic box a repairable gizmo? If so, maybe I'll start a new sideline fixing up the cooked ones - with a bigger cooling system?
Electronics Engineering was my first trade...

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2024, 03:49:34 am »
Quick question Mark regarding your charging the condensers up. IF you're using your Hondaman system with the standard points etc do the condensers deteriorate or are they charged up but never discharged etc. Just thinking that in the event of a failure of your system and you need to revert to the standard setup would the condensers work or would they have gone to such a state they couldn't work.