Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch conversion for the mono shock dragbike. Will it work??  (Read 123 times)

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
I've decided to try something a little different fir the clutch set up on the mono shock dragbike. I saw something on a SOHC group post on Facebook regarding the use of a universal type hydraulic clutch kit on a 750. While the poster wasn't detailed on his installation there were a few pictures that graphically showed the basics.  Mind you i have not searched our forum yet to see if   someone here has already done the conversion. I searched Ebay and Amazon for a complete kit and found one for less than  $50. It included the handlebar mounted clutch master cylinder, a slave unit with fittings and a plastic covered braided steel hydraulic line. There was also a matching brake master cylinder.  Both had adjustable positions for the levers along with appropriate switches. I grabbed a stock clutch cover to see how the slave cylinder could be positioned to pull the stock Honda lever on the cover.  The slave unit is threaded on the end with the pull rod which is also threaded for a ball type clevis. The clevis slipped right into place of the cable end perfected but the thread diameter of the slave unit was small than the opening on the clutch cover housing. I decided to try putting a stock adjuster from an old cable onto the slave unit and i was pleasantly surprised that the thread pitch was the same, allowing the identical adjustments we'd utilize with a stock cable. Wow!!! At the moment i have not put the cover on an engine with the full stock clutch and springs inside. I  plan to mock everything up when i get time and add fluid to the system to do a bench test. My main concern is will the little slave cylinder have sufficient pulling capacity to move the stock lever with heavy duty clutch springs. To be on the safe side, i researched Amazon for a slave cylinder that has a larger piston. This one is 14mm. I bought a larger one for $25 that has a 19mm piston. I'll swap the bigger one as I'm setting everything up and hope for the best. My main purpose here is to reduce lever effort and eliminate moving parts. My brother is having some issues with the current lever so I'm trying to make itveasuer for him without compromising the use of the heavier clutch springs.  I'll let you know how it goes

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Hydraulic clutch conversion for the mono shock dragbike. Will it work??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2024, 10:18:13 pm »
There are posts here regarding hydraulic clutch conversions, Frank. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 10:24:31 pm »

I figured it had already been done at some point. I'll probably delete my post then since likely won't be contributing anything to help the group. I should have searched first. 😅🤣

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2024, 11:36:35 pm »
Keep posting frank,we are interested

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980

I figured it had already been done at some point. I'll probably delete my post then since likely won't be contributing anything to help the group. I should have searched first. 😅🤣
Oh don't delete it! It can be helpful to anyone thinking of doing it to their bike, besides you are using a pull slave without major modifications to the original clutch cover working design as apposed to the push slave of the link. I'm interested in this style to be able to make clutch adjustments as necessary.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Hasn't Godfrey's Garage done one or two hydraulic clutches, seem to recall photos... Maybe reach out to Mark...if he has experience with them he could be of help guiding you if you encounter an issue he has overcame with one...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
TLR has a hydraulic clutch and when it comes to launching a bike it's absolutely useless compared to a cable operated clutch. If hydraulic clutch was better I think guys at Speedway GP would have one as they are the second hardest launching motorcycle racers I can think of. No feedback at all at the lever.

Offline Leino

• Not much of an
  • Expert
  • in drag racing since 2005
My opinion, yours may be different  ;D

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
My opinion, yours may be different  ;D
Haven't you gone the 1/4 mile a couple of times? I can't remember. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
90% of the weekend warriors that drag race modern bikes are factory equipped with hydraulic clutches. They even use them with mallet magnet releases off  a button and a 2 step. Many are set up with Gen 2 MTC multistage clutches. I'm not certain this style slave systems will release quick enough but i want to give it a shot since it requires no machining thus far and it was cheap. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll report back as this progresses. Its not a must do project at the moment so I'll pick at it when nothing else is important. I'm hopefully it will work as intended.